JC
Posted By
Julio_Chacon
May 11, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I open my tif files I get a blank page. But if I open that same file with the windows picture fax viewer I can see it just fine. I have include a link to one of the images so you can download and see if you can open it fine in your PS I have about 4 different workstations with photoshop CS and 7 and they cannot open this files. Anyone know what could be the problem?

<http://www.hhminc.com/test/25100-H.zip>

This files are large blue prints so maybe that is the problem, but once I open it with the windows viewer I can re save them to a bitmap image and open them later in PS just fine.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

CC
Chris_Cox
May 11, 2005
That’s weird. I’m looking into it now.
TH
Tina_Hayes
May 11, 2005
I can open tiff files fine with CS2. They were saved with PS 7.01 though.
CC
Chris_Cox
May 11, 2005
He was referring to specific files (though he didn’t say where they came from).

The file he posted does have a problem, and Photoshop displays a blank image (it looks like it should generate an error instead).
CC
Chris_Cox
May 11, 2005
Whatever software wrote the image has a bug – it writes a strip size of zero bytes (which can’t be right). LibTIFF seems to recover from that, but Photoshop doesn’t – and our CCITT decompression code doesn’t return an error for this particular case.

[/Volumes/Untitled] local% tiffinfo /Users/local/Desktop/25100-H.TIF TIFFReadDirectory: Warning, /Users/local/Desktop/25100-H.TIF: Bogus "StripByteCounts" field, ignoring and calculating from imagelength.
TIFF Directory at offset 0xa
Image Width: 7200 Image Length: 10800
Resolution: 300, 300 pixels/inch
Bits/Sample: 1
Compression Scheme: CCITT Group 4
Photometric Interpretation: min-is-white
Thresholding: bilevel art scan
FillOrder: msb-to-lsb
Image Description: "\020"
Orientation: row 0 top, col 0 lhs
Samples/Pixel: 1
Rows/Strip: 234384
Min Sample Value: 0
Max Sample Value: 1
Planar Configuration: single image plane
JC
Julio_Chacon
May 11, 2005
Thanks Chris for taking a look at the file, and yes it is weird. They are given to me by my supervisor, but I think she is getting them from a printer that scannes our plans, I’ll find out what software he uses it to scan them and posted here… By the way, I’m going around this problem by opening them in other programs and re-saving them.

Thanks again Chris
D
deebs
May 11, 2005
Sounds like a wise user somewhere or a non-standard TIFF editor.

Has it been post processed since it was created?
CC
Chris_Cox
May 11, 2005
Well, I can modify future versions of Photoshop to tolerate this kind of bad file – but I can’t do anything about current or older versions.

Whatever software created these files needs to be fixed. (as we all cross post)
D
deebs
May 11, 2005
I wonder if someone is on a wind-up?

Could the same effect be obtained through a hex editor or a data nibbler?
CC
Chris_Cox
May 11, 2005
deebs – You could fix it with a hex editor, but it wouldn’t be trivial (since different TIFF readers will error out if you get the length too long, and some won’t work if you get it too short).
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
May 12, 2005
Irfanview opened it without any warnings.
LM
Lynch_Mike
May 12, 2005
hmm…
JC
Julio_Chacon
May 12, 2005
I got an email from the person that scans the images and this is what he said…

"It actually scans in from the Ricoh Aficio 470W Printer and scans directly to a .tif file. "

so the built-in software for that scanner/printer might be the problem.
D
deebs
May 12, 2005
Hmmm – interesting!

IrfanView will indeed open it and File > Save As > change filename.tif returns an image that CS not only can open but also preview.

Maybe a step has been overlooked in the original software?
CC
Chris_Cox
May 13, 2005
Then someone needs to contact Ricoh and see about a software/firmware update to fix their TIFF file generation (and if they complain – send them to me 😉

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections