D
Posted By
don
Nov 14, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just bought an Intuous4 Large size tablet and finding that the distance traveled of my hand is too much…. is there a way to cut down on the amount of travel needed to travel across the screen….. I have a laptop with a dual monitor 22" flat screen setup….. in otherwords I’d like to cut down on the amount of movement of my arm….. maybe I should have purchsed the smaller size…. but I thought I could determine the working area of my tablet.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
bdchmura
Nov 14, 2009
don wrote:
I just bought an Intuous4 Large size tablet and finding that the distance traveled of my hand is too much…. is there a way to cut down on the amount of travel needed to travel across the screen….. I have a laptop with a dual monitor 22" flat screen setup….. in otherwords I’d like to cut down on the amount of movement of my arm….. maybe I should have purchsed the smaller size…. but I thought I could determine the working area of my tablet.
did you read the help file that came with the Intous tablet or set up the tablet using the Pen Tablet Properties? It’s probably a lot faster to set it up instead of waiting around the newsgroup for an answer :[

Gary W. Chmura
PB
Paul Burdett
Nov 15, 2009
I haven’t got a tablet myself (yet), but a quick "Google" suggests you choose the mapping tab in the pen properties page and select "mouse". The pen then moves as if it’s a mouse.

"gar" wrote in message
don wrote:
did you read the help file that came with the Intous tablet or set up the tablet using the Pen Tablet Properties? It’s probably a lot faster to set it up instead of waiting around the newsgroup for an answer :[
Gary W. Chmura
R
rat
Nov 18, 2009
Paul Burdett wrote:
I haven’t got a tablet myself (yet), but a quick "Google" suggests you choose the mapping tab in the pen properties page and select "mouse". The pen then moves as if it’s a mouse.

"gar" wrote in message
don wrote:
did you read the help file that came with the Intous tablet or set up the tablet using the Pen Tablet Properties? It’s probably a lot faster to set it up instead of waiting around the newsgroup for an answer :[ Gary W. Chmura

Yes, that’s how mine goes by default when I plug it in to a new computer. I am getting used to the mouse mode, but I still don’t like it overmuch.

What I don’t like about the tablet is how much the pen moves (my hand moves) in the journey from hovering above the pressure pad to making contact with it. MY fault, but still annoying!
J
Joel
Nov 20, 2009
"Here’s Johnny" wrote:

Paul Burdett wrote:

"gar" wrote in message
don wrote:
did you read the help file that came with the Intous tablet or set up the tablet using the Pen Tablet Properties? It’s probably a lot faster to set it up instead of waiting around the newsgroup for an answer :[ Gary W. Chmura

Yes, that’s how mine goes by default when I plug it in to a new computer. I am getting used to the mouse mode, but I still don’t like it overmuch.
What I don’t like about the tablet is how much the pen moves (my hand moves) in the journey from hovering above the pressure pad to making contact with it. MY fault, but still annoying!

You should learn to not thinking about the TABLET and PEN, but learning to think it;s a regulat pen (like pencil or BIC). And learn not to chase the cursor but have fun with the cursor.

And you should be able to send the cursor across the screen within whatever size of your tablet or MAPPING. IOW, the larger the tablet to further you have to move, and the smaller the MAP the lesser movement you have to move.
R
rat
Dec 13, 2009
Joel wrote:
"Here’s Johnny" wrote:

Paul Burdett wrote:

"gar" wrote in message
don wrote:

You should learn to not thinking about the TABLET and PEN, but learning to think it;s a regulat pen (like pencil or BIC). And learn not to chase the cursor but have fun with the cursor.

And you should be able to send the cursor across the screen within whatever size of your tablet or MAPPING. IOW, the larger the tablet to further you have to move, and the smaller the MAP the lesser movement you have to move.

Yes, it does that when it’s in mapped mode, which by default it isn’t. I’ve chopped and changed computers a bit lately, so I don’t have drivers installed on the one I’m currently using. Like I said, I’m getting used to the mouse mode. I find I like a combination of the mouse and tablet/pen, and when the latter is in mapped mode the cursor can jump around a bit, which I can find annoying. Mouse mode doesn’t do this to me.

As for chasing the cursor, that sounds like a wonderful approach to take, but unfortunately chasing the cursor is unavoidable when the bloody thing moves a few pixels between my highlighting the spot I want and making contact with the pad! I have sometimes used a piece of card over the pad, which has helped.
J
Joel
Dec 13, 2009
"Here’s Johnny" wrote:

Joel wrote:
"Here’s Johnny" wrote:

Paul Burdett wrote:

"gar" wrote in message
don wrote:

Yes, it does that when it’s in mapped mode, which by default it isn’t. I’ve chopped and changed computers a bit lately, so I don’t have drivers installed on the one I’m currently using. Like I said, I’m getting used to the mouse mode. I find I like a combination of the mouse and tablet/pen, and when the latter is in mapped mode the cursor can jump around a bit, which I can find annoying. Mouse mode doesn’t do this to me.

As for chasing the cursor, that sounds like a wonderful approach to take, but unfortunately chasing the cursor is unavoidable when the bloody thing moves a few pixels between my highlighting the spot I want and making contact with the pad! I have sometimes used a piece of card over the pad, which has helped.

Well, I dunno what to share but sharing another experience between Windows 7, CS4, 24" LCD at 1920-1200, and Wacom Intuos3 4×5 and dunno what I may miss.

Eveything seems to work fine (even I only installed to test out the new installed Windows 7) except CS4 only active at the upper_left_corner of the whole monitor or around 1/3 of the whole screen.

– I have tried to MAP but doesn’t make any difference

– With MOUSE CS4 can be opened at full screen

– With Wacom, the cursor is limited inside the actived area or if CS4 opens larger or moved out of the Upper_Left_Corner of screen then you can’t even ve able to move the cursor to open the menu or close CS4 etc.

It’s so weird as I have never seen anything like this before, I have Googled for the answer but don’t see anyone mentions about this. And this is my first LCD to know much about it, and CS4 is a trail version I want to try on LCD and Windows 7 (I am still using CS3), and current latest Wacom driver for Win7. I haven’t tried MOUSE mode to see if it will make any difference.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections