Elements does not send job to local printer (Mac)

JL
Posted By
Joe_Lifitk
Oct 6, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I updated my OS to 10.2.8, it seems that since then PS Elements it doesn not send print job to my printer, anyone with similar issue? fix? thanks.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 6, 2003
Did you repair permissions after your update?
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 6, 2003
Also, which version of 10.2.8? The one they just released or the one from a week or so ago?
JL
Joe_Lifitk
Oct 6, 2003
updated to 10.2.8 this weekend when my automatic updater brought up the update screen, I think it is the newer update.

I do not know much about permission, why wouldl I need to repaire permssions after the update? the computer otherwise workd fine, Iphoto print fine. Thank you both for your messages, please let me know, what you think. The permission fixer is located under utilities files somewhere?
JL
Joe_Lifitk
Oct 6, 2003
please see message 3, thanks.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 7, 2003
Hi, Joe. Yes, you should always repair permissions before and after any major installations. Go to Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility and click the first aid tab. You’ll see repair permissions down at the bottom.

It takes a few minutes to run, so don’t panic. If that doesn’t help, what kind of printer? If it’s an HP, you probably need to reinstall the driver. My Xerox phaser has gone through every system update without a blink, but my HP stops working every single time.
JL
Joe_Lifitk
Oct 10, 2003
Repaired permission but no fix. still PS does not send job to printer. I ahve an epson 820. Any other thoughts? thank you so much.
LM
Lou_M
Oct 11, 2003
Joe,

Open the Print Center application (it’s in the Utilities folder inside the Applications folder). Is your Epson listed? Is its status "Stopped" by any chance? You should be able to restart it by double-clicking on it and selecting the Resume button.
JL
Joe_Lifitk
Oct 11, 2003
Lou, thank you. The problem is that there is not job in the printer que. The print job is not sent to the printer at all. I think I will try to reinstall the drivers to see if it helps although since all other applications print fine inlcuding preview pdf from INSIDE PS, it does not make sense to do this, but who knows, computers have their own minds, I am convinced. Thanks. If the fix works I will post it here.
LM
Lou_M
Oct 11, 2003
In the Print dialog, can you Save As PDF, and then print with Preview or Acrobat? I’m just wondering if Elements is barfing (sorry for the graphic terminology 😉 ) before it even tries to print.
JL
Joe_Lifitk
Oct 11, 2003
When I go into preview and then press print, without saving, within Adobe preview it prints fine. I just do’nt get it.

I removed preferences from PS nothing seems to help so far. I have not yet reinstaled the drivers since I can print from preview which kind of solves the problem, or print from Iphoto so I really do not need PS for printing. But still it’s weird.
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 11, 2003
"…within Adobe preview it prints fine"

That’s how it’s supposed to work I thought. What did it used to do that it’s not doing any more? I’m confused. 🙂
JL
Joe_Lifitk
Oct 11, 2003
You can print from the drop down menu without ever clicking the preview button. Prior to my problem I would print by clicking print from the drop down menu.
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 12, 2003
Interesting. I haven’t ever tried that under Jaguar, but I have never been able to do that in OS 9.1. I can’t use the keyboard shortcut Command P, either.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 12, 2003
Hi, Beth. In Jaguar I can use the drop down menu, but command +p brings up the print preview dialog box. The keystroke combo for printing without going through print preview is option +command +P.
LM
Lou_M
Oct 12, 2003
And if you don’t like the way the print key shortcuts are set up, you can go into Preferences–>General and switch them around.

And ya know, I’ve never tried printing without previewing. And being the control freak and perfectionist that I am, I probably never will. 🙂
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 12, 2003
Thanks for the information, Barbara. I did try a keyboard shortcut on OS 9 this morning, and… one time Command P got me directly to the printer window, and the next time it took me into Print Preview. Go figure. I’m kinda with Lou, being a control freak, I probably wouldn’t ever pass by the Preview window anyway. 🙂 Jag is booted on the other computer right now, but I haven’t fiddled with the shortcuts yet.
JL
Joe_Lifitk
Oct 12, 2003
Print preview IS my problem, PS does not send job to printer from that screen. In print preview, print click brings up another screen with preview on it which then brings up Acrobat Reader, after the image is displayed on this I can click print and it does…??? Any ideas? I would like to be able to print from the PS print review screen.
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 12, 2003
Well I finally got the "message" about what’s wrong; unfortunately that isn’t worth much, because I didn’t have a companion brain storm about the problem. Let’s review:

You did repair permissions.

You did trash the Elements Preference folder.

You did – or did not? – uninstall the Epson printer drivers and reinstall them? (Sorry, I reviewed the thread and still lost track.)

At this point, if it were me, I would uninstall Elements (including a Find for any other files on your hard drive and the Preference folder), I would also uninstall the Epson printer, including the Preferences for it. Then I would reinstall the Epson and then reinstall Elements. I can’t think of one good reason why all of this should be happening, but the standard, and simple, fixes aren’t working.
JL
Joe_Lifitk
Oct 13, 2003
Thank you Beth, I had similar thoughts. Will try it. Thank you all for your help.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections