DM
Posted By
Dave_Marden
May 10, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have 2 sets of 8 tabs on the left side of my webpage layout in photoshop and with these my file size is 63 MB when opened. If I cut them out it saves me about 24 MB. If I copy the images from in the original file then paste them into a new file they take up only 4MB. Can someone help me out with this problem as I am nervous about going any further with this website for fear that the file will be rendered useless due to its size.

These tabs have links on them for navigation in image ready.

Another thing, I have 1 file that I am using as a master template and it seems to be getting larger as well, this makes no sense to me, hopefully someone could help.

Thanks,
Dave Marden

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

CC
Chris_Cox
May 10, 2005
Are you talking about the image size or the file size?

And do you have layers in the original image (which increases the file size but won’t affect the flattened size)?
DM
Dave_Marden
May 11, 2005
I am talking about the image size which shows on the bottom left of the screen. When I edit in image ready it gives a warning that my file size is over 40MB. The original with everything on it is 6 MB, but when you load it into photoshop it goes up to 61.9 MB. The file with out the tabs goes down to 39 MB I think.

I laid out the images identically when it comes to folders, and layers.

Thanks,
Dave Marden
Y
YrbkMgr
May 11, 2005
I laid out the images identically when it comes to folders, and layers.

Are they all the same resolution (ppi)??
DM
Dave_Marden
May 11, 2005
Yes, What I did is highlight 1 of the images from the first file, than pasted it 16 times onto the new file, with the text for each button. I laid it out the same as the original file and the image size was much larger.

Dave Marden
CC
Chris_Cox
May 11, 2005
I still think you’re confusing file size and image size.

If the layers and contents are the same, then the image size will be the same.
DM
Dave_Marden
May 11, 2005
On the bottom left of the screen it shows that the original file is 6.2 MB, and that the file opened is 61 MB, I would assume that means that the image size is the 61 MB. I believe that this is due to compression that you get 2 different file sizes. If you check this file in Windows Exporer it is 6.2 MB. I assume it looks at the uncompressed file size when it gives the warning that the file is over 40 MB. The physical size of this file is only 580 * 700, just in case that matters. The physical size of the tabs is about 400 * 90.

Thanks Again,
Dave Marden
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
May 11, 2005
Dave: Your image size is 580×700 pixels, which requires 3x580x700=1218000 bytes (1.16MB) to contain the 24-bit color data for an uncompressed, flattened image. When stored as a compressed, flattened image file, such as JPEG or compressed TIFF, the header data plus the compressed image data will result in a much smaller file size.

If the image is not compressed, however, each layer will occupy up to 1.16MB for that layer’s image data, and further space will be needed to store other data (adjustments, masks, metadata) for each layer and the image as a whole. So a file that can be saved as a 100K JPEG may well require 60 MB when open with all layers present (not flattened), because you are actually opening a stack of many different full sized, uncompressed images, one for each layer.
DM
Dave_Marden
May 11, 2005
Mike that does not answer my original question though, which was as to why my tabs that I use take up about 24 MB of space when opened. I highlighted these images and copy, pasted them into another file. I saved it with the same structure, as in all of the same layers, and text. For some reason when I did that "copy/paste" that file opened only uses 4MB which is 20 MB less. What I am after is where the discrepancy would come from?

Thanks
DM
dave_milbut
May 11, 2005
it’s a magic trick. like the 3 guys that go in and pay 30 bux for a room…
Y
YrbkMgr
May 11, 2005
A rabbi, a priest, and a minister walk into a bar; the bartenders says "What is this? A joke?"

Sorry, OT.
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
May 12, 2005
You have 16 tabs, each of which is on a separate layer. Each layer takes up 1.16 MB just for the image bits. Add a bit for overhead, and say each layer uses 1.5 MB of memory. 1.5×16=24 MB, uncompressed and unflattened. So much for the original file. As to why your cut and pasted version is only 4 MB, I have no explanation; if it has the same images, is the same pixel dimensions, the same color depth, and the same number of layers, it should be the same size. Are you quite certain you have all 16 layers copied to the other file, and not some or all of them flattened?
DM
Dave_Marden
May 12, 2005
I thought that maybe there was some sort of bug in photoshop which makes it save a bunch of formatting which is not relevant to the file in the current format. I appreciate you trying to help me out. I am just concerned that my images are too large, I would have figured that PS would be capable of handling large images, but upon going through the many forum questions I see that a large percentage have to do with file size.

Thanks Again,
Dave Marden
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
May 13, 2005
Dave, you wouldn’t be saving history to metadata, would you? This might account for some small difference in file size.
DM
Dave_Marden
May 13, 2005
Mike, I am trying to find a setting for that but I cannot find it in the help files or in photoshop itself. Where would I find this setting, to be honest with you, that sounds like it is possible.

Thanks,
Dave Marden
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
May 13, 2005
From the CS2 help:

To set the History Log preferences By default, history log data about each session is saved as metadata embedded in the image file. You can specify where the history log data is saved and the level of detail contained in the history log. Choose Edit > Preferences > General (Windows) or Photoshop
Preferences > General (Mac OS). Specify where to save the history log
data: Metadata Saves the history log as metadata embedded in the file. Text File Saves the history log to a text file. Select Text File. In the Save dialog box, browse to the destination, give the text file a name, and click Save. Both Saves the history log as metadata and in a text file. Select Both. In the Save dialog box, browse to the destination, give the text file a name and click the Save button. Choose from the Edit Log Items menu to specify the level of detail in the history log: Sessions Only Records the start time and date of every editing session. Does not include any information about edits made to the file. Concise Records every editing session on the file (both start and end times), and also includes edits recorded in the History palette. Detailed Records the same information as the Concise option, plus such information as the path of the file and an account of every edit made to the file (including detailed edits not recorded in the History palette, such as preference changes).
DM
Dave_Marden
May 13, 2005
I do not have this selection selected. I did however put it to save as text. This file empty is now 60 MB, by empty I mean that all I have is my basic page layout. This page can be seen at <http://www.mardenfamily.com/aboutgpf.html>. Any more help would be appreciated. I wouldn’t even mind sending this file to you so you could check it out if that is possible.

Dave Marden
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
May 14, 2005
The page loads very fast, Dave. I wouldn’t worry about how big the PDF file is. P.S. In the caption above the right upper picture, "your" should be "you’re".
DM
Dave_Marden
May 14, 2005
lol, now I’m real confused, you are saying don’t worry ’bout the size of my PDF File but I have not been asking questions aboout PDF Files rather I was asking about .PSD files. I am mostly worried about the fact that photoshop is slow when working with it, and when I switch from Photo Shop to Photo Image it warns me that my file is over 40 MB. Should I actually be using a PDF File? I just started working with this software about 3 weeks ago so I am not real up on it yet.

Thanks Again,
Dave Marden
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
May 14, 2005
Sorry; I meant PSD
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
May 14, 2005
Dave, the size you see in Photoshop takes in account the changes made to that image in the current editing session. It is not the size that the document will have when saved.

If you copy/paste it to a new document, there is no history of changes to that document besides the paste. If you make several global changes in the original image, it is the whole image that is stored in memory for the ability to do multiple undos, etc. hence the bigger file size that you did see.

There might also be several alpha channels (saved selections) that take some memory space, that were not copied to the other document.
DM
Dave_Marden
May 15, 2005
Image Ready recommends not bigger than 40 MB, is this a big deal? Anyone out there have any files that when opened are much bigger than 63 MB. I have 1 GB of DDR Ram so I think I’m okay there, but can image ready actually handle files much larger than the 40 MB they recommend? 1 option I guess that I have is to merge some of my layers, however I’d rather not do that due to the fact that if I want to change an individual item on my page having multiple layers obviously will make a big difference in time to publish.

I will leave you alone after this one.

Thanks Again,
Dave Marden
DG
Dana_Gartenlaub
May 15, 2005
Image Ready is a Web imaging program, you really don’t want huge files on the Internet because they take forever to load.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections