From sketch to vectors..which method do you suggest?

M
Posted By
mafarka
Sep 10, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello!
I need to convert some sketches to vectors.

I’ve tried to scan the sketch to 300DPI and import it into Photoshop, add a new layer and trace the outlines with the Brush Tool, with a graphic tablet. Then when I’ve traced everything I delete the sketch layer and export the traced image into Illustrator, applying Live Trace, to convert the dark outlines to vectors, but the result pratically sucks.

Then I’ve tried to trace totally with the Pen tool in Illustrator the outlines, but the final vectors aren’t so smooth like the Brush tool in Photoshop does.

I’ve also tried to trace with the graphic tablet all the outlines directly in Illustrator, using the brush tool, but nothing..it doesn’t seem to "follow" the lines like it should do, and the result isn’t good to me.

Any suggestion please? Which method to you use?

Thanks!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

T
teknas18
Sep 10, 2009
On Sep 10, 11:25 am, [mfk] wrote:
Hello!

I’ve tried to scan the sketch to 300DPI and import it into Photoshop, add a new layer and trace the outlines with the Brush Tool, with a graphic tablet. Then when I’ve traced everything I delete the sketch layer and export the traced image into Illustrator, applying Live Trace, to convert the dark outlines to vectors, but the result pratically sucks.

Then I’ve tried to trace totally with the Pen tool in Illustrator the outlines, but the final vectors aren’t so smooth like the Brush tool in Photoshop does.

I’ve also tried to trace with the graphic tablet all the outlines directly in Illustrator, using the brush tool, but nothing..it doesn’t seem to "follow" the lines like it should do, and the result isn’t good to me.

Thanks!

Hi..

If you have corel there is coreltrace where you have some of good options to trace your sketch directly… like by outline, by Advanced outline, y centerline, by centerline outline, by woodcut, by sketch, by mosaic, by 3d mosaic!!!

Or else you have to find out plugins for that which gives direct cutout of that sketch thru plugin called Sketch, from that you have to use photocopy,stamp and note paper. Also you have to play with layers and brightenss contrast, levels, curves to get outline.

Regards teknas18
M
mafarka
Sep 10, 2009
Dopo dura riflessione, Sanket (teknas18) ha scritto :
Hello!

Thanks!

Hi..

If you have corel there is coreltrace where you have some of good options to trace your sketch directly… like by outline, by Advanced outline, y centerline, by centerline outline, by woodcut, by sketch, by mosaic, by 3d mosaic!!!

Or else you have to find out plugins for that which gives direct cutout of that sketch thru plugin called Sketch, from that you have to use photocopy,stamp and note paper. Also you have to play with layers and brightenss contrast, levels, curves to get outline.

Regards teknas18

hello teknas,
thanks for the reply but i’m looking for professional methods to vectorialize a sketch into an illustration..generally plugins aren’t so accurate!

Thanks!
B
bdchmura
Sep 10, 2009

[mfk] wrote:
Hello!

Thanks!
what you could do is start in PShop first by opening the scan and using Levels to clean up the linework (why anyone would use the Brush tool to trace is beyond me). Save your scan and open Illustrator and then Place your saved image in. Open the Layers Palette and click the side arrow and choose Template. This fades the image to 50%.

Create a New Layer to trace image onto.

Press X,forward slash, X and then choose the Pen Tool which is the BEST tool to draw with and start tracing.

HTH

Gary W. Chmura
http://home.cogeco.ca/~bdchmura/
BL
Bob LaBlawgh
Sep 10, 2009
There’s always Live Trace in Illustrator as a starting point with manual clean up later, if req’d.

Bob LaBlawgh
"It’s never too late to have a happy childhood."
T
teknas18
Sep 11, 2009
On Sep 10, 3:58 pm, [mfk] wrote:
Dopo dura riflessione, Sanket (teknas18) ha scritto :

Hello!

Thanks!

Hi..

Regards teknas18

hello teknas,
thanks for the reply but i’m looking for professional methods to vectorialize a sketch into an illustration..generally plugins aren’t so accurate!

Thanks!- Hide quoted text –

– Show quoted text –

Professional way is simply used Pen mouse !!! 🙂 there are many that kind of gadgets available in mkt.
M
mafarka
Sep 11, 2009
gar ha spiegato il 10/09/2009 :
[mfk] wrote:
Hello!

Thanks!
what you could do is start in PShop first by opening the scan and using Levels to clean up the linework (why anyone would use the Brush tool to trace is beyond me). Save your scan and open Illustrator and then Place your saved image in. Open the Layers Palette and click the side arrow and choose Template. This fades the image to 50%.

Press X,forward slash, X and then choose the Pen Tool which is the BEST tool to draw with and start tracing.

HTH

Gary W. Chmura

Totally thanks for the X / X tip, it’s new to me 🙂

However yes, pens is better!

Thanks
S
steggy
Sep 11, 2009

[mfk] schreef:
gar ha spiegato il 10/09/2009 :
[mfk] wrote:
Hello!

Thanks!

HTH

Gary W. Chmura

Totally thanks for the X / X tip, it’s new to me 🙂

However yes, pens is better!

Thanks

uhhhhhhhhhh what happens with X / X?
B
bdchmura
Sep 11, 2009

[mfk] wrote:
Hello!

Thanks!
the "x/x" is my keyboard shortcut to start with a black Stroke and no Fill to be used with the Pen tool.

gar
EC
el Condor loco
Sep 11, 2009
On Sep 10, 4:25 pm, [mfk] wrote:
Hello!

as with anything ADOBE, you can end up doing the same thing using many different techniques.

I would "place" the photo / scan into Illustrator. You can do this via "file" > "place". Then make sure the photo is in RGB mode and NOT CMYK. To check this go to: "file" > "document file mode" > tick the "RGB" mode pop down. Now make sure the photo has changed to RGB and is ‘selected’. Now go to "filter" > "sketch" > "stamp".
Adjust the stamp filter to the settings that give you the "look" you are after. After the stamp filter does its job, make sure the image is again ‘selected’ and then you will convert the bitmap into a vector. Up at the top of the screen will be the radio button "live trace". Immediately to the right of that button is another little "pull down" button whose icon is just a simple ‘down arrow’. Click on that ‘down arrow’ button & the custom drop down menu should appear. Try each of the several choices, but the "hand drawn sketch", "Comic Art", "tech drawing", "B&W Logo" or the "Inked Drawing" modes
should get you what you are after. Try them all, there should be one that will do what you want. ADOBE spent a lot of time setting these up for the "pro" graphic artists, so there should be one that will fit your needs.
Now you have your image as a vector, ALMOST. You now HAVE to click on the "expand" button back up at the top of your menu. This will convert it into the vector you want with all the adjusting handles & anchor points. There you go…………….

If you want, you can of course "clean up" your image in PhotoShop before you "place" it in Illustrator. Use one or two of the dozens of ways / techniques you have available in PhotoShop to get your scan ready to vectorize.

If you want to make the background ‘transparent’ on you new vector, so that you just have the black line(s) only with no white background, do this: click on a white portion of your image then go to "select"
"same" > "fill color". This should select all of the white (same)
color, which is your background. Then click "backspace" or "delete" and the white background should be erased. Then save or drag back into PhotoShop & do as you like. Hope this is sort of what you were looking for.
Curt H.
"el Condor loco" GRAPHIX
Townsville, Queensland – Australia
S
steggy
Sep 11, 2009
gar schreef:
[mfk] wrote:
Hello!

Thanks!
the "x/x" is my keyboard shortcut to start with a black Stroke and no Fill to be used with the Pen tool.

gar

OK. But I did not see any reaction on the Live Trace option someone mentioned.

Specially with sketches that can work out well. My advice is to play with the settings and start of in Black and White. It is always possible to add color later.
T
teknas18
Sep 18, 2009
Hello!

Thanks!

Hi… have you got method to trace sketch??? PLease let me know so that I can also try out.. it will help me to add knowledge… 🙂
DJ
david johnson
Sep 19, 2009
not sure if you have the whole suite or just photoshop, but tried Live Trace in Illustrator?

On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 00:35:57 -0700 (PDT), "Sanket (teknas18)" wrote:

Hello!

Thanks!

Hi… have you got method to trace sketch??? PLease let me know so that I can also try out.. it will help me to add knowledge… 🙂

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections