M
Posted By
mike
Sep 6, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I skipped Vista and want to spend my money on a new ‘dream system’ with Win 7, dual monitors and whatever else may be good for the latest PS. (Any word on CS5 yet?)
Money is not a real problem except I of course want to spend wisely. What is suggested? Did some Googling with no real results.

32bit or 64bit OS – so far I’m using CS3?

twin 24" LCDs or one 24" and a smaller for the menus? Is 24" the size to get?

Which dual monitor graphics card is best with PS ? Is there a limit to max memory that PS can use. I have had bad ATI experiences – is there a better brand?

Have found no info by Adobe. Anything to look out for?

Regards,
mike

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

G
Grinder
Sep 6, 2009
wrote:
I skipped Vista and want to spend my money on a new ‘dream system’ with Win 7, dual monitors and whatever else may be good for the latest PS. (Any word on CS5 yet?)
Money is not a real problem except I of course want to spend wisely. What is suggested? Did some Googling with no real results.

If Windows 7 continues the trend from XP and Vista, there will be an artificially imposed limited on RAM for 32-bit systems–somewhere shy of 4GB.

Which dual monitor graphics card is best with PS ? Is there a limit to max memory that PS can use. I have had bad ATI experiences – is there a better brand?

I can’t say I’ve ever really had a bad experience with a video card. ATI and nVidia chipset cards, either from those manufacturers or licensees like Asus, Sapphire, EVGA. If you’re thinking about running Linux, nVidia has a better reputation but I don’t know how true that is now.

K
keepout
Sep 7, 2009
On Sun, 06 Sep 2009 23:56:52 GMT, Grinder wrote:

I can’t say I’ve ever really had a bad experience with a video card. ATI and nVidia chipset cards, either from those manufacturers or licensees like Asus, Sapphire, EVGA. If you’re thinking about running Linux, nVidia has a better reputation but I don’t know how true that is now.

I was with ATI for 7 years. I got tired of being an involuntary Beta Tester for their monthly fixes that ONLY related to individual GAMES. I had to reinstall the ORIGINAL disk on every update. No idea what’s happened since they’ve been sold.

I’m now using an Nvidia 1 gig ram 8500 GT. out of date, but still supported. Couldn’t be happier. Every update was better than the last. This is with dual monitors one being the Cintiq 12wx tablet. Woo rocks.
AB
Alan Browne
Sep 7, 2009
wrote:

[same reply I posted on the other ng]

When you use the word "wisely" then the thing to do is get a Mac. (Since you skipped Vista, you are already wise).

The iMac’s make very good dual monitor systems and part of the price is the very high quality monitor built in. For photography/photoshop use, monitor quality is most essential. iMac’s from 8.1 up are 64 bit OS compatible (Snow Leopard). I would get assurance that the graphics (GPU) is also OpenCL (for the future where we hope Adobe use OpenCL to get max processing performance, say in CS5). My camera shoots 24.6 Mpix raws, so doing panos or rotates can be long. Scanned medium format can be painful, even just to load, never mind rotating a bit.

Adobe will happily transfer your CS3 license from Windohs to Mac OS X.

For heavy lifting (if you do a lot of heavy editing of a lot of images), then a higher end desktop machine with at least one Apple monitor (or similar high end monitor) and one "ordinary" monitor for the 2nd display (unless it is essential to you that both be identical).

Finally, on your new Mac, download VMWare Fusion and under it, install your WinXP license, and you will have recourse to your legacy software. You can run both Mac OS X and WinXP in parallel on the one machine and this includes transferring files from each to the other (drag and drop). Avoid Bootcamp. (A competing product is Parallels but it is considered to be not as good as VMWare Fusion).

Don’t worry about adapting to the Mac OS X environment. You will be up and running in minutes from opening the box. A few things are different, and it is useful to learn the keyboard shortcuts (over time).
K
keepout
Sep 7, 2009
On Mon, 07 Sep 2009 10:53:24 -0400, Alan Browne
wrote:

When you use the word "wisely" then the thing to do is get a Mac. (Since you skipped Vista, you are already wise).

If I were building a machine this moment, I’d do as much research as I can on the I7 chip. From the little I have read it runs circles around ANYTHING on the market now.

http://www.intel.com/Consumer/Learn/Desktop/corei7-detail.ht m?cid=cim:ggl|core_us_tci7|f7E247|s
M
mike
Sep 7, 2009
On Mon, 07 Sep 2009 09:02:36 -0400, wrote:

I was with ATI for 7 years. I got tired of being an involuntary Beta Tester for their monthly fixes that ONLY related to individual GAMES. I had to reinstall the ORIGINAL disk on every update. No idea what’s happened since they’ve been sold.

I’m now using an Nvidia 1 gig ram 8500 GT. out of date, but still supported. Couldn’t be happier. Every update was better than the last. This is with dual monitors one being the Cintiq 12wx tablet. Woo rocks.

Same sort of thing for me with ATI. Did Nvidia buy ATI or was it he other way around? Or was it just talk.
K
keepout
Sep 7, 2009
On Mon, 07 Sep 2009 12:19:05 -0700, wrote:

Same sort of thing for me with ATI. Did Nvidia buy ATI or was it he other way around? Or was it just talk.

No some other company bought ATI. I’d have never touched another ATI card.
AB
Alan Browne
Sep 7, 2009
wrote:
On Mon, 07 Sep 2009 10:53:24 -0400, Alan Browne
wrote:

If I were building a machine this moment, I’d do as much research as I can on the I7 chip. From the little I have read it runs circles around ANYTHING on the market now.

http://www.intel.com/Consumer/Learn/Desktop/corei7-detail.ht m?cid=cim:ggl|core_us_tci7|f7E247|s

And that in time will come to Macs as well. Within which the superior memory managements, lean to the bone OS, GCD and eventually OpenCL will turn them into raging bit smashers leaving Windblows behind.

(Note: The current "Nehalem" (Xeon) Mac Pro has nothing to be ashamed of: http://www.apple.com/macpro/features/processor.html )

In particular, applications written to take advantage of GCD (much of the Mac OS and some applications already do under "Snow Leopard") will blaze on the i7 or Xeon (2 cpu’s x 4 cores x 2 threads = 16 task threads in parallel) as all of the cores will be kept working loaded as long as there are tasks in the GCD queue. I’d bet on CS5 being written to take full advantage of GCD and hopefully OpenCL.

Applications writers do not have to worry about core loading, GCD takes care of it.

Beyond that, a high end Mac with 2 to 4 i7 or Xeon’s (8 to 16 cores) will likely be available in 2010. Coupled to a properly done CS5 (GCD/OpenCL), stitching large panos and other heavy tasks will blaze through in a few heartbeats.

Windows 7 is really a patch to Vista which is a misadventure best forgotten along with most of MS products.
K
keepout
Sep 7, 2009
On Mon, 07 Sep 2009 17:06:43 -0400, Alan Browne
wrote:

And that in time will come to Macs as well. Within which the superior

The I7 is available now for PC’s.

Beyond that, a high end Mac with 2 to 4 i7 or Xeon’s (8 to 16 cores) will likely be available in 2010. Coupled to a properly done CS5 (GCD/OpenCL), stitching large panos and other heavy tasks will blaze through in a few heartbeats.

Windows 7 is really a patch to Vista which is a misadventure best forgotten along with most of MS products.
AB
Alan Browne
Sep 8, 2009
wrote:
wrote:

Windows is a mistake made over and over again.

Be patient Padawan learner. Go Mac. You’ll never go back.
G
Grinder
Sep 8, 2009
wrote:

ATi is part of AMD now.
MR
Mike Russell
Sep 10, 2009
On Mon, 07 Sep 2009 20:18:01 -0400, Alan Browne wrote:

….

Platform wars. It’s whatever floats your boat.

Both Mac and PC are excellent platforms. Mac is cooler, costs more, but Photoshop doesn’t yet support 64 bit.

Mike Russell – http://www.curvemeister.com
I
infinitech
Sep 10, 2009
Was Mac, went PC long time ago, but that’s all right because Dark is on my side (and, well, I’m your father….)

"Alan Browne" a écrit dans le message de
wrote:
wrote:

If I were building a machine this moment, I’d do as much research as I can on
the I7 chip. From the little I have read it runs circles around ANYTHING on the
market now.

AB
Alan Browne
Sep 11, 2009
Mike Russell wrote:
On Mon, 07 Sep 2009 20:18:01 -0400, Alan Browne wrote:

Platform wars. It’s whatever floats your boat.

Both Mac and PC are excellent platforms. Mac is cooler, costs more, but Photoshop doesn’t yet support 64 bit.

After many years using DOS/Windows (as a programmer, as a manager, marketer, director and for various home projects such as photography) I used a new computer purchase as an excuse to go to Mac. That was in early 2008.

What prompted me : Vista. Such a horrible bloat boat. (never mind that most apps need replacing…).

As to system performance, it’s great to have a system where the disks are quiet because the file system is better. A system that you only re-boot after a major update or a power failure. A system that goes to sleep in seconds and awakens in seconds.

As to cost –

get an iMac and you have everything you need.

Buy a PC – and then you have to buy a high end ($750 – $1000) monitor to come even close to the one on the iMac…

(And unlike a PC, on a Mac I can run WinXP (or whatever) in parallel with the Mac OS (via VMWare Fusion) … for occasional access to some legacy programs… drag and drop between the two as well…)

I have converted and will never go back. (Funny: I used to write comments similar to yours…)
D
dvus
Sep 19, 2009
"infinitech" wrote in message

Was Mac, went PC long time ago, but that’s all right because Dark is on my side (and, well, I’m your father….)

Baloney! My father borrowed my Amiga and never gave it back…

dvus
J
jjs
Sep 20, 2009
I use a well endowed Mac Pro right beside a very good PC – as is what is required of my job of supporting either platform.

I can’t say there’s a whole hell of a lot of difference in performance or outcomes. There is a difference concerning what each unit cost.

Choose one and shut up. Get on with life.
MR
Mike Russell
Sep 20, 2009
On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 17:23:17 -0400, dvus wrote:

"infinitech" wrote in message

Baloney! My father borrowed my Amiga and never gave it back…

I don’t blame him – the Amiga was and is quite a system.

Besides, Darth Vader uses Fortran under VMS.

J
jjs
Sep 20, 2009
In article <w1698q6c0ixr$>,
Mike Russell wrote:

OpenVMS for the late comers.
AB
Alan Browne
Sep 20, 2009
Mike Russell wrote:

Been there.

One doesn’t "use" Fortran, one writes in it. Until he discovers Pascal or C at least.

(Often wrote Pascal calling Fortran on the VAX actually, with Pascal for overall structure and design calling packages of SR’s written in Fortran).

Better, TP on the PC with inline assembler (or linked .OBJ).
MR
Mike Russell
Sep 20, 2009
On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 14:02:06 -0400, Alan Browne wrote:

Mike Russell wrote:

Been there.

One doesn’t "use" Fortran, one writes in it. Until he discovers Pascal or C at least.

(Often wrote Pascal calling Fortran on the VAX actually, with Pascal for overall structure and design calling packages of SR’s written in Fortran).

May the forth be with you.

AB
Alan Browne
Sep 20, 2009
Mike Russell wrote:

Mike Russell wrote:

Been there.

Stacked up.
D
dvus
Sep 28, 2009
"Mike Russell" wrote in message

Mike Russell wrote:

Been there.

….heh, yeth indeed!

dvus

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections