J
Posted By
Jon
Jul 17, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Could anyone tell me how to get the side lighting effect of half lit half shadow for a portrait in PS3 similar to the ‘With The Beatles’ album cover, or point me towards a tutorial. All my attempts have been too hard between light and shadow. Thank you.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

J
Joel
Jul 17, 2009
"Jon" wrote:

Could anyone tell me how to get the side lighting effect of half lit half shadow for a portrait in PS3 similar to the ‘With The Beatles’ album cover, or point me towards a tutorial. All my attempts have been too hard between light and shadow. Thank you.

Samething and samething. The technique is learning to adapt the exact same trick to different styles.

And there should be no less than 1001 different ways.

1. Using Dodge/Burn is one

2. Layers with erasing tool is other (not a good one but should work)

3. Layers and Mask command is another.
MR
Mike Russell
Jul 17, 2009
On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 20:27:20 +0100, Jon wrote:

http://static.rateyourmusic.com/album_images/c1fc7a5f495d71d 144b8fad99f858144/18.jpg

One way to accomplish this effect is a combination of single source lighting, and burning in the shadow side of the face, retaining the softer lighting on the non-black areas.

In Photoshop this could be done with the burn tool, or better yet a curves (what else?) adjustment layer with a mask that is black for the areas of lighter tonality, and white for the areas you want to be pure black. Experiment with the CMYK color space, setting light or medium GCR before converting, and curve the K channel to control the shadows. —
Mike Russell – http://www.curvemeister.com
J
Jon
Jul 18, 2009
Thanks lads, that’s sorted it for me.

"Jon" wrote in message

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections