Posted By
Arnold Mervielde
Jun 27, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi !!

I hope someone out there can help me with the following problem?

1. Opening a NEF raw file takes a long time , however the next files open blazing fast!

2. Sometimes Tiff files open in PS ; sometimes thy open in Camera Raw!

XP pro
PS cs4
Raw 5.4

Thanks
Arnold

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

D
Dave
Jun 27, 2009
On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 15:48:13 +0200, "Arnold Mervielde" wrote:

Hi !!

I hope someone out there can help me with the following problem?
1. Opening a NEF raw file takes a long time , however the next files open blazing fast!

2. Sometimes Tiff files open in PS ; sometimes thy open in Camera Raw!
XP pro
PS cs4
Raw 5.4

Thanks
Arnold

On your desktop click on My Computor and navigate to any sample of a Tif (or whatever format).Open the directory but do not open the picture. Instead, right click on it and go with your left button to ‘choose program’.

Now you select the block which says ‘always open with…’ and make your pick.

There you are… as from now on, it will always open
via the selected program.

Dave
http://dave.photos.gb.net/p48744869.html
AM
Arnold Mervielde
Jun 28, 2009
Dave;

thanks for your reply; but I forgot to mention…..when opening files from Bridge….

Arnold
G
gowanoh
Jun 28, 2009
Look at the Bridge Preferences.
It has a checkbox that is supposed to allow you to automatically open tif and jpegs in the raw converter always or on the desktop always. However it is Bridge and as such has never worked as it should for many users, moi included.
One of many bugs in Bridges that have existed since version one and which Adobe denies exists, or at least does not bother to fix. Another annoying bug is the failure of Bridge to remember custom desktop settings from session to session although those custom desktops are listed as created in Bridge you painstaking customizations can be randomly erased from session to session no matter how often you save them. Look up how to reset Bridge to its default settings when you first start the problem (you have to do some of this work yourself).
Then set the Bridge preferences how you like.
If you are lucky Bridge will work properly. If Bridge does not work properly for you you are SOL per Adobe and they could care less that their $700 retail flagship program is a coding and design mess–why does the ACR exist apart from the desktop and have separate but overlapping controls when you have to go the desktop anyway to do anything useful with the image, like print? The design of CS4 is a conceptual disaster/lunacy/bad joke on users. CS4 is a perfect example of what happens when a manufacturer has no real competition.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections