P
Posted By
pshaw
Jun 6, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
for some reason one of my 16 bit tif pix cannot be reduced to 8 bits! the 8 bit option is greyed out. i tried converting it to a psd but the 8 bit option was still greyed out. any suggestions how to get the 8 bit option back?

tia

steve

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

P
pshaw
Jun 6, 2009
for some reason one of my 16 bit tif pix cannot be reduced to 8 bits! the 8 bit option is greyed out. i tried converting it to a psd but the 8 bit option was still greyed out. any suggestions how to get the 8 bit option back?

tia

steve
J
Joel
Jun 7, 2009
wrote:

tia

I don’t know what you are looking at, but if you want 8-bit then just save to JPG then you have no other option but 8-bit

steve
J
Joel
Jun 7, 2009
wrote:

tia

I don’t know what you are looking at, but if you want 8-bit then just save to JPG then you have no other option but 8-bit

steve
P
pshaw
Jun 7, 2009
unfortunately saving to 8 bits is not an option for any file that is 16 bits in photoshop cs4

steve

On Sat, 06 Jun 2009 20:06:29 -0500, Joel wrote:

wrote:

tia

steve
P
pshaw
Jun 7, 2009
unfortunately saving to 8 bits is not an option for any file that is 16 bits in photoshop cs4

steve

On Sat, 06 Jun 2009 20:06:29 -0500, Joel wrote:

wrote:

tia

steve
F
Fred
Jun 7, 2009

Try File>Save for web & devices, select JPG and the compression you want Strange though!
F
Fred
Jun 7, 2009

Try File>Save for web & devices, select JPG and the compression you want Strange though!
G
gowanoh
Jun 7, 2009
Have you checked the mode: are you sure this is a 16 bit RGB image?
G
gowanoh
Jun 7, 2009
P
pshaw
Jun 8, 2009
fabulous idea … but …"not enough scratch memory" … and i have a scratch memory only 160 gig hard drive! the image is only 350 megs or so … strange …

but nice idea 🙂 …

steve

On Sun, 7 Jun 2009 13:21:36 +0200, "Fred" wrote:

P
pshaw
Jun 8, 2009
fabulous idea … but …"not enough scratch memory" … and i have a scratch memory only 160 gig hard drive! the image is only 350 megs or so … strange …

but nice idea 🙂 …

steve

On Sun, 7 Jun 2009 13:21:36 +0200, "Fred" wrote:

P
pshaw
Jun 8, 2009
yep … one can see the /16 in the top of the image

steve

On Sun, 7 Jun 2009 05:12:58 -0700, "botox"
wrote:

P
pshaw
Jun 8, 2009
yep … one can see the /16 in the top of the image

steve

On Sun, 7 Jun 2009 05:12:58 -0700, "botox"
wrote:

MR
Mike Russell
Jun 8, 2009
On Sun, 07 Jun 2009 21:24:39 -0700, wrote:

only 160 gig hard drive! the image is only 350 megs or
so … strange …

350 megs is a very large image. So it’s not surprising that you are running out of memory and scratch space.

Make the image smaller. Unless you are using a view camera with a scanning back, or a composite image made up of a dozen or so smaller images, your image is larger than you need it to be.

Mike Russell – http://www.curvemeister.com
MR
Mike Russell
Jun 8, 2009
On Sun, 07 Jun 2009 21:24:39 -0700, wrote:

only 160 gig hard drive! the image is only 350 megs or
so … strange …

350 megs is a very large image. So it’s not surprising that you are running out of memory and scratch space.

Make the image smaller. Unless you are using a view camera with a scanning back, or a composite image made up of a dozen or so smaller images, your image is larger than you need it to be.

MR
Mike Russell
Jun 9, 2009
On Sat, 06 Jun 2009 16:49:48 -0700, wrote:

This actually might be related to the color mode. I can recreate this behavior if I convert a 16 bit image to multichannel mode. 8 bits is greyed out, and it is not possible to select 8 bit mode until I convert to another mode such as Lab, RGB, or CMYK.

MR
Mike Russell
Jun 9, 2009

This actually might be related to the color mode. I can recreate this behavior if I convert a 16 bit image to multichannel mode. 8 bits is greyed out, and it is not possible to select 8 bit mode until I convert to another mode such as Lab, RGB, or CMYK.

K
Kabuki
Jun 9, 2009
"Mike Russell" wrote in message

well I was only guessing but
seems I was not far from the solution
of course the usuals chimed in to tell me I was wrong
PU
Photoshop User
Jun 9, 2009
"Mike Russell" wrote in message

MR
Mike Russell
Jun 9, 2009
On Tue, 9 Jun 2009 18:01:38 -0400, Kabuki wrote:

NO good deed goes unpunished, LOL.
OTOH, we may both be wrong…

MR
Mike Russell
Jun 9, 2009

P
pshaw
Jun 10, 2009
according cs4 it is in rgb mode …i can send a screen shot documenting this …

steve

On Tue, 9 Jun 2009 10:26:18 -0700, Mike Russell
wrote:

P
pshaw
Jun 10, 2009

steve

On Tue, 9 Jun 2009 10:26:18 -0700, Mike Russell
wrote:

P
pshaw
Jun 10, 2009
shangara was kind enough to post a work around …i created an 8 bit blank image of the same dimensions …copied the 16 bit into it, ok’ed the conversion to 8 bits and it was a done deal …

but …i still wonder why the conversion of the original image was greyed out …oh well …

steve

On Tue, 9 Jun 2009 15:46:58 -0700, Mike Russell
wrote:

P
pshaw
Jun 10, 2009
shangara was kind enough to post a work around …i created an 8 bit blank image of the same dimensions …copied the 16 bit into it, ok’ed the conversion to 8 bits and it was a done deal …

but …i still wonder why the conversion of the original image was greyed out …oh well …

steve

wrote:

R
Rob
Jun 10, 2009
wrote:

steve

wrote:

If that worked then try a "save as" of your tiff file close and reopen it and see what happens.

In the past I have had problems with tiff files that were not correctly recognised in PShop 7.0? They were scanned slide images from the Nikon film scanner.
R
Rob
Jun 10, 2009
wrote:

steve

wrote:

If that worked then try a "save as" of your tiff file close and reopen it and see what happens.

In the past I have had problems with tiff files that were not correctly recognised in PShop 7.0? They were scanned slide images from the Nikon film scanner.
MR
Mike Russell
Jun 10, 2009
On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 21:43:02 -0700, wrote:

Curiouser and curiouser. If you can get the size down to a few megs or so, email me a copy – mike at curvemeister.com and I’ll take a look.

MR
Mike Russell
Jun 10, 2009

Curiouser and curiouser. If you can get the size down to a few megs or so, email me a copy – mike at curvemeister.com and I’ll take a look.

P
pshaw
Jun 11, 2009
the problem with that image is that it is about 400 megs 🙂 … and …. as it is 16 bits i can’t reduce it to a jpg 🙂 …

but shangara’s suggestion to copy it to a same size 8 bit image worked …. strange …

steve

On Tue, 9 Jun 2009 23:49:28 -0700, Mike Russell
wrote:

P
pshaw
Jun 11, 2009
the problem with that image is that it is about 400 megs 🙂 … and …. as it is 16 bits i can’t reduce it to a jpg 🙂 …

but shangara’s suggestion to copy it to a same size 8 bit image worked …. strange …

steve

On Tue, 9 Jun 2009 23:49:28 -0700, Mike Russell
wrote:

MR
Mike Russell
Jun 11, 2009
On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 22:55:00 -0700, wrote:

the problem with that image is that it is about 400 megs 🙂 … and … as it is 16 bits i can’t reduce it to a jpg 🙂 …

Crop a section of the image and see if it has the same problem. If 8 bits is still grayed out, you can email it to me. If it is not, that’s a clue that it’s some sort of image size related issue, and that will also shed some light on the problem.

but shangara’s suggestion to copy it to a same size 8 bit image worked … strange …

Definitely.

MR
Mike Russell
Jun 11, 2009
On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 22:55:00 -0700, wrote:

the problem with that image is that it is about 400 megs 🙂 … and … as it is 16 bits i can’t reduce it to a jpg 🙂 …

Crop a section of the image and see if it has the same problem. If 8 bits is still grayed out, you can email it to me. If it is not, that’s a clue that it’s some sort of image size related issue, and that will also shed some light on the problem.

but shangara’s suggestion to copy it to a same size 8 bit image worked … strange …

Definitely.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections