LD
Posted By
Les Desser
Jun 10, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a friend who is an illustrator – does hand drawings, scans them in and then does final touching up on Photoshop.

He has asked me for a recommendation for a suitable colour printer that will do accurate prints.

Volume is not high – maybe 25 – 50 pages a month.

My gut feel is that he would be best served with an inkjet printer but I don’t have a clue as to what features to look out for. I presume that the ability to calibrate the printer is important. Cost is an issue so not too expensive.

Can anyone recommend a suitable printer?

Thanks

Les Desser
(The Reply-to address IS valid)

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

J
Joel
Jun 10, 2009
Les Desser wrote:

I have a friend who is an illustrator – does hand drawings, scans them in and then does final touching up on Photoshop.

He has asked me for a recommendation for a suitable colour printer that will do accurate prints.

My gut feel is that he would be best served with an inkjet printer but I don’t have a clue as to what features to look out for. I presume that the ability to calibrate the printer is important. Cost is an issue so not too expensive.

Thanks

If your friend has plenty of $$$ to burn then pick one of the top-notch of Epson printers which can be up to $3,000 – $10,000+. If your friend just want a good enough then get one of the Epson Inkjet printer for around $100-300

And if you friend want to print from one of the most expensive printer (can be around $30,000 – or more) then just bring to a Photolap and lets them printed using one of the most expensive printers.

I would suggest to GOOGLE around for more detail about the quality, price, and ink price etc..
LD
Les Desser
Jun 10, 2009
In article , Joel
Wed, 10 Jun 2009 11:38:09 writes

If your friend just want a good enough then get one of the Epson Inkjet printer for around $100-300

Thank you.

Any recommendations for actual models or at least what features to go for?

Is it the regular printers or the Photo printers that he needs? —
Les Desser
J
JD
Jun 10, 2009
Les Desser wrote:
In article , Joel

If your friend just want a good enough then get one of the Epson Inkjet printer for around $100-300

Thank you.

Is it the regular printers or the Photo printers that he needs?

I use an Epson Stylus Photo R280 and it’s a nice, inexpensive photo printer. I paid $100. Sadly, it’s been discontinued and replaced with the Epson Artisan 50 Ink Jet Printer, also $100. It looks like the same printer but I can’t guarantee that. The cartridge numbers are different.

Don’t be surprised by the Epson printer price. Mine prints a nice photograph. Epson makes their money on the cartridges. Both these Epson printers have six individual ink cartridges which is nice, you’re not throwing away all your colors when you run out of one.

But, the six individual cartridges cost more than the printer if you buy the high capacity cartridges.

Your friend will have to decide if he needs a photo printer. I guess that depends on the actual illustrations.

JD..
HP
High Priest
Jun 11, 2009
In article <y1vP+>, Les Desser
wrote:

Thanks

Les, I print photos for a professional (See hamilton-archives.com) whose signed, numbered prints sell for around $12,000 so you can imagine we are both _very_ fussy about quality.

I have stayed with Epson machines for many years. (Note I have no connection with sny firms I am about to recommend below.) They’re not perfect (for example, if you need to upgrade to a newer driver) it can be a damned frustrating experience but don’t be afraid to ask tech support for help) but they are excellent in quality and even the (rather boring) people at FLAAR.org and their dozens of associated web sites.

You really want nothing smaller than an A3+ printer. At the bottom of the price curve, I recommend the 3800 model

< http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/ProImaging/ProductDet ails.do?sku =C635011PRO&BV_UseBVCookie=yes> for a humble USD 1500

To do better, get the printer I use, the 4880

< http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/ProImaging/ProductDet ails.do?sku =SP4880CB&BV_UseBVCookie=yes> for USD 2500.

To go for gold, get the printer I plan to upgrade to very soon, the 7900

< http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/ProImaging/ProductDet ails.do?sku =SP7900HDR&BV_UseBVCookie=yes> for USD 4000. No one needs anything better than this. The only reason anyone will pay more is for bigger size. This printer is stunning. It uses _eleven_ ink cartridges for superb gamut. And its 360 nozzles per channel, depositing 3.5 pL drops, gives a result so fine you can sometimes see photographic film grain!

Make sure you use Epson UltraChrome inks even though they can be expensive.

For paper, please try the superb papers I use from Hahnemuhle in Germany

<http://www.hahnemuehle.com/site/en/1788/glossy-fineart.html>

I use the 320 gram Photo Rag Pearl (semigloss) but some people (usually non-pros) prefer the glossy paper, 315 gram Photo Rag Baryta.

If you choose not to use Hahnemuhle, investigate Arches paper from France. Expensive but beautiful.

<http://www.arches-papers.com/en/>

If you can’t justify these top-end papers, go for Epson.

I hope like hell you and your friend do yourselves a favor and use Macintosh. You will never have a problem getting accurate color on the paper.

To improve your chances of never getting a bad color, first use a Gretag-Macbeth calibration tool

<http://www.colormanagement.com/store/CID11> (I use the EyeOne)

or x-rite <http://www.xrite.com/worldwide.aspx> or similar.

Make sure you get ICC profiles for your set-up (combination printer, ink, paper). Epson will gladly supply. or it’s not beyond a newbie to make your own but read the literature first.

Finally, consider if you want a RIP or not. If you are printing vector images you surely do want one. If you print raster images, a RIP can still be extremely useful inasmuch as it takes over the job of converting RGB to CMYK and, in so doing, it is more-intelligent than Photoshop. It eliminates metamerism, that strange and damned annoying characteristic where blacks in your print can have a mysterious green or magenta "atmosphere" to them, when viewed in sunlight or difficult lights.

<http://www.bluecubit.com/>

<http://www.birmy.com/powerrip_x.htm>

< http://www.macroenter.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=79&Click =1763>

<http://www.colormanagement.com/store/CID138/PID1252>

<http://www.multirip.com/>

< http://www.breathingcolor.com/bc/catalog/includes/sts_templa tes/epson_s tylus_pro_9880_colorburst.html> Great but only for Epson 9880 printers

Have fun!
J&
john <
Jun 11, 2009
On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 18:58:28 -0500, JD wrote:

Les Desser wrote:
In article , Joel

Thank you.

I use an Epson Stylus Photo R280 and it’s a nice, inexpensive photo printer. I paid $100. Sadly, it’s been discontinued and replaced with the Epson Artisan 50 Ink Jet Printer, also $100. It looks like the same printer but I can’t guarantee that. The cartridge numbers are different.
Don’t be surprised by the Epson printer price. Mine prints a nice photograph. Epson makes their money on the cartridges. Both these Epson printers have six individual ink cartridges which is nice, you’re not throwing away all your colors when you run out of one.

But, the six individual cartridges cost more than the printer if you buy the high capacity cartridges.

Your friend will have to decide if he needs a photo printer. I guess that depends on the actual illustrations.

You could also consider using an Epson printer with an aftermarket continuous ink system – Google for these. They are much less expensive to run.
MR
Mike Russell
Jun 11, 2009
On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 16:45:44 +0100, john wrote:

Need to know more. Format size is probably the biggest factor to consider at this time. Then permanance, color gamut, and general durability of media.

If he just wants letter sized comps to show a customer, any inexpensive inkjet will do a very good job.

Mike Russell – http://www.curvemeister.com
J
Joel
Jun 11, 2009
Les Desser wrote:

In article , Joel

Thank you.

Any current Epson Inkjet Printer should be good enough to give a great print. Then depending on the print size and other, you can even go lower than $100.

INKJET printer is what he needs to print color photo. The standard or regular would print up to 8×10 (or whatever the standard paper), and some pro. can print to a larger size.
LD
Les Desser
Jun 11, 2009
In article <110620091353459218%>, High Priest
Thu, 11 Jun 2009 13:53:45 writes

Les, I print photos for a professional (See hamilton-archives.com) whose signed, numbered prints sell for around $12,000 so you can imagine we are both _very_ fussy about quality.

[…..]

Thank you for your very detailed post and to all the others for their suggestions and comments.

I’ve forwarded all the post. I’ll be back if he has any queries.

Many thanks again.

Les Desser
J
Joel
Jun 11, 2009
Les Desser wrote:

[…..]

Thank you for your very detailed post and to all the others for their suggestions and comments.

Many thanks again.

I would suggest not to forget the GOOGLE which often give more detail information than most people or even book can give.

So,

– If not so picky then s/he can always bring to a local Photolab and can get the photos printed within an hour or so. And it’s VERY CHEAP these days.

– If s/he want to own his/her Photolab and don’t care much about expensive INK cartrdige then s/he may want to do some research about

a. Refillable Ink Cartridge which usually cost between $20-200 depending on the number of catridge and which company you buy from.

Or besides the price difference, most if not all cartridges are the same if not exactly the same. The refillable ink catridge is better choice than refilling the original catridge which will be limited to around 3-4 fills then you will have to replace with a newer set. And you will need a CHIP RESETTER etc.

b. Or s/he (or you) can go for the CISS (Continious Ink Supply System) some company bundles with already filled and ink bottles. The price for filled and ink bottle can be from around $50 – $300 depending on where you buy

So, GOOGLE around for extra information and PRI$E
M
mike
Jun 12, 2009
On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 21:36:12 +0100, Les Desser
wrote:

[…..]

Many thanks again.

Canon ink jets get the highest consumer ratings. I had an Epson for a number of years with no problems.
Then purchased a deeply discounted Canon (about $50 IP4200) and refilled my own cartridges. After about 2 years I was unable to clean the ink heads in spite of using ‘heroic’ measures such as soaking it in hot ammonia overnight etc. One MUST use and ink jet every few days or else it dries up – permanently!

I had a good supply of ink so I bought two (2) IP3500 that will use the same ink and cartridges. (about $55US ea with ink).

Epson is a good brand. I have two dot matrix printers that never died. I prefer Canon software. Since the life seems to be that of the print head – buy cheap (grin).

m
MR
Mike Russell
Jun 12, 2009
Epson’s are my favorite as far as image quality and permananeces, and can be very economical with a continuous ink system.

The quality of almost all of the recent inkjets is excellent. Hp printers are convenient, though, and you’ll never hear that (expensive) sound of the jets cleaning themselves ever again, since for HP the heads are built into the cart.

MF
MO full name
Jun 12, 2009
On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 10:11:50 -0700, Mike Russell
wrote:

Epson’s are my favorite as far as image quality and permananeces, and can be very economical with a continuous ink system.

The quality of almost all of the recent inkjets is excellent. Hp printers are convenient, though, and you’ll never hear that (expensive) sound of the jets cleaning themselves ever again, since for HP the heads are built into the cart.

Sounds expensive (HP) and that refilling your own not practical.
MR
Mike Russell
Jun 12, 2009
On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 10:39:34 -0700, MO full name wrote:

Didn’t mean to convey that impression. The newer Epson carts are chipped, so you can’t easily do refills – though there are ways around that. I have an HP all-in-one that does a couple hundred 4×6 prints on a set of cartridges, as well as all our normal printing (which is a relatively small amount). New carts are about $40 or for both the larger black and white. The best thing is no cleaning cycles, and no jets to get clogged. —
J
Joel
Jun 12, 2009
MO full name wrote:

wrote:

Just like about all inkjet and even laswer printer, you can refill your own cartdige or toner. But different type of cartridge/design may have some limitation and different trick to deal with different CHIP protection.
J
Joel
Jun 12, 2009
Mike Russell wrote:

On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 10:39:34 -0700, MO full name wrote:

Didn’t mean to convey that impression. The newer Epson carts are chipped, so you can’t easily do refills – though there are ways around that. I have an HP all-in-one that does a couple hundred 4×6 prints on a set of cartridges, as well as all our normal printing (which is a relatively small amount). New carts are about $40 or for both the larger black and white. The best thing is no cleaning cycles, and no jets to get clogged.

Like all inkjet manufactures, Epson has been using CHIP protection for quite some years now. And the current newer Epson now have 2 CHIPS for extra protection.

But just like life nothing is perfect so YES you still can bypass the newer protection technology.
M
mike
Jun 12, 2009
On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 14:39:24 -0500, Joel wrote:

MO full name wrote:

wrote:

Just like about all inkjet and even laswer printer, you can refill your own cartdige or toner. But different type of cartridge/design may have some limitation and different trick to deal with different CHIP protection.

So how is it done in HP and Epson?

In Canon IP3500 and IP4200 (likely all Canon printers??) one just open the cart on top, fill with ink and insert a rubber stopper provided with the refill kit.
Insert the cart back in the head and the NON- original will be detected by the software. Simply ignore ALL the warnings and loss of warranty etc. and tell the printer to proceed by clicking in the selected boxes. The software will proceed and not use that function from then on. Out of sight and out of mind. One does this for each cart as they get close to low.
D
DavidA
Jun 12, 2009
On Jun 10, 7:42 am, Les Desser wrote:

My gut feel is that he would be best served with an inkjet printer but I don’t have a clue as to what features to look out for.  I presume that the ability to calibrate the printer is important.  Cost is an issue so not too expensive.

I just bought a Canon PixmaPro 9000. Cost around $450 maybe a bit more than your friend wants to pay, but colour reproduction is superb and prints up to A3 or 13"x19". I believe any of the Pixma range produce good results.

David
T
Talker
Jun 12, 2009
wrote:

That’s why I prefer HP over the Epson…no more clogged heads. I have an Epson R220 that I use exclusively for printing on CDs and DVDs. I also have an HP Photosmart 7550 and a Kodak 1400 Pro (thermal dye).
The cost of the cartridges is about the same for both the Epson and the HP. If I buy the twin pack of color cartridges (One tri-color, the other photocolor) and one black cartridge for my HP, it costs about $72. If I buy the multicolor pack and one black cartridge for the Epson. it costs about $84.
The only down side to the HP is that the color cartridge contains three colors, so if one color runs out, you have to throw away the other two colors in order to change to a new cartridge.

Talker
J
Joel
Jun 13, 2009
wrote:

On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 14:39:24 -0500, Joel wrote:

MO full name wrote:

wrote:

So how is it done in HP and Epson?

In Canon IP3500 and IP4200 (likely all Canon printers??) one just open the cart on top, fill with ink and insert a rubber stopper provided with the refill kit.
Insert the cart back in the head and the NON- original will be detected by the software. Simply ignore ALL the warnings and loss of warranty etc. and tell the printer to proceed by clicking in the selected boxes. The software will proceed and not use that function from then on. Out of sight and out of mind. One does this for each cart as they get close to low.

Look here for the new designed of the Epson ink cartridge. I don’t know it covers the double-chip or not but this is one of some detailed info about newer Epson catrigde and copy protection.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://inkdaddy.files .wordpress.com/2009/05/t060420-open-cartridge1.jpg&imgre furl=http://inkdaddy.wordpress.com/2009/05/05/review-epson-t 060-ink-cartridge-cracked-open/&usg=__M-7k30zZ2RqzHa4Kc4 62E00_nI4=&h=506&w=644&sz=73&hl=en&start =13&um=1&tbnid=0094qoXKePBX3M:&tbnh=108&tbnw =137&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dopened%2Binside%2Bepson%2Bink%2B cartridge%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dopera%26rls%3Den%26sa%3DG%26u m%3D1
M
Misifus
Jun 14, 2009
Les Desser wrote:

Thanks

Epson R1900

Misifus-
Rafael Seibert
Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rafiii
home: http://www.rafandsioux.com
HP
High Priest
Jun 14, 2009
In article ,
wrote:

Canon ink jets get the highest consumer ratings. I had an Epson for a number of years with no problems.
Then purchased a deeply discounted Canon (about $50 IP4200) and refilled my own cartridges. After about 2 years I was unable to clean the ink heads in spite of using ‘heroic’ measures such as soaking it in hot ammonia overnight etc. One MUST use and ink jet every few days or else it dries up – permanently!

I had a good supply of ink so I bought two (2) IP3500 that will use the same ink and cartridges. (about $55US ea with ink).

Epson is a good brand. I have two dot matrix printers that never died. I prefer Canon software. Since the life seems to be that of the print head – buy cheap (grin).

m

Woa wait a minute, cowboy.

Les said his friend wants to do "accurate" prints.

Canon ink jets get the highest consumer ratings.

Yes, Canon gets good ratings from consumers. But I suggest you look at ratings by professionals. Try the various FLAAR web sites where Epson is consistently rated best or second best (to HP) depending on the model and the year of evaluation. More=generically, all three are ok.

[I] refilled my own cartridges

I urge Les to tell his friend never to do this. Just one reason:

I was unable to clean the ink heads in spite of using ‘heroic’ measures

I experimented with refilling when I was just starting out learning about printers. It was a never-ending nightmare.

Another reason: Les’ friend wants accuracy. The inks in a refill system are cheap because they’re shit.

The best way, trouble-free, to get good, consistent, color-predictable, permanent prints is to use the ink recommended by the printer manufacturer. In the case of Epson, at least the medium- and high-end printers I recommended, is Ultrachrome.

By the way, there are two broad categories of ink. Dye-based will give you impressive colors and a wider gamut than pigment-based inks. But they will fade in a very short time (sometimes measured in months or even weeks. Days, if you’re in strong sunlight.)

Furthermore,

One MUST use and ink jet every few days or else it dries up – permanently!

Is simply not true for a good printer using correct inks.

Repeat: stay away from refill systems. Cheap and nasty.

Talker added

That’s why I prefer HP over the Epson…no more clogged heads.

I’ve been printing high quality giclée prints for over ten years and mid-quality work for another decade before that. I’ve never had a clogged head. Just use the right ink is all.

The only down side to the HP is that the color cartridge contains three colors, so if one color runs out, you have to throw away the other two colors in order to change to a new cartridge.

An important consideration that immediately rules HP out of consideration for me.

Les, here is a rule of thumb you cannot afford to ignore. If your friend truly wants to produce quality work, he should not consider any of the dinky little consumer-oriented printers found at the typical retail store. The Epson 4880 I mentioned in my first post is really the bottom of the range that he should be looking at. Cheaper models will give in consistent work, meaning he will waste ink, paper and time trying to get a "good" print. And the machine will not last as long. But, if $2,500 is too much for him, at least look at the 3800 nothing lower.

And, one more time, use good quality paper and the proper inks.

Les, there was apparently much interest in this topic so I and maybe the other correspondents would be interested to read a postscript. What did he buy, how did it perform etc.
D
Dave
Jun 14, 2009
Misifus wrote:
Epson R1900

No Misfit, wrong..!
Never buy any printer where the printheads are not on the cartridge.

The cost of replacing the heads was nearly what I paid for the Epson where after I started buying HP, and now I am using Canon.

important note…
When doing Pro Prints, I am making use of a profesional printer and the printer at home is for day to day work.
J
jaSPAMc
Jun 14, 2009
High Priest found these unused words:

One MUST use and ink jet every few days or else it dries up – permanently!

Is simply not true for a good printer using correct inks.
Repeat: stay away from refill systems. Cheap and nasty.

Talker added

That’s why I prefer HP over the Epson…no more clogged heads.

I’ve been printing high quality giclée prints for over ten years and mid-quality work for another decade before that. I’ve never had a clogged head. Just use the right ink is all.

Might tell that to Lexmark [IBM] Their inkjunks clog constantly!

FWIW, do a -=reference=- print with dye, then have -=real=- prints made on a Fuji Photo machine!

The cost of the inks and paper just about equals the Fuji and it’s far, far, far better!
LD
Les Desser
Jun 15, 2009
In article <140620091635526313%>, High Priest
Sun, 14 Jun 2009 16:35:52 writes

Les, there was apparently much interest in this topic so I and maybe the other correspondents would be interested to read a postscript. What did he buy, how did it perform etc.

Thanks for all the input. I will try and find out and report back —
Les Desser

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections