Z
Posted By
_Z__Gauthier
Oct 3, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a genuineIntel X86 with 255.0mb ram and windows 98……canon d660u scanner, s820 canon printer…….My husband just gave me the PE2.0 program. I am sitting here with the box still unopened wondering if I actually need this/and if I do, is it going to do all I want. …..I have all my pix on my hard drive right now…I get them from my scanner, my cam, my casio and sony digital cams. I also have a program with NO book called Pixila ImageMixer..and I can’t use it. What I want to do is print albums, send them on email, put them on cd, make cards,…etc. Will I be able to do all this with this program and in the end also know that anyone who opens one of my pictures or cds will not have to buy a whole new program or download anything special. I would like to know if this product is really a good, no hassel, user friendly one before I open it. My husband works too hard for his money for the program to end up in software heaven. Although, I do understand that I….yes, I have to be smart enough to use it……………that’s still on the table. Any input is appreciated.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

CS
Chuck_Snyder
Oct 3, 2003
Z – a lot of the specialized tasks you’ve described may be handled more easily with Photoshop Album, a different program. Have you looked into that one? Here’s a link to Adobe’s descriptions of Album:

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopalbum/main.html

Photoshop Elements is an excellent photo editing program, but it requires a fair amount of practice and study to use it well; some of its functions are relatively easy and intuitive, while others are not. You could download the trial version and see if you like it. Similarly, Photoshop Album has a starter version available as a download also.

Others here will voice their opinions, I’m quite sure!
JA
JoAnn_Amerson
Oct 3, 2003
PSE2 has the capability of creating an electronic slide show in a .pdf format. The nice thing is that the viewer is free to anyone, works on both Mac and Win systems, and is almost always pre-installed on systems straight from the factory.

The card making will have to be done in another program. PSE edits pictures. I guess you *could* make cards with PSE but I’ll bet you already have a program that will do that. Ditto for burning CDs. I am not sure if it will send your pictures straight over to email because I’ve just dumped AOL and NOTHING does that with AOL. I just attach the file manually when I send a picture now.

I will tell you – IT WILL TAKE TIME TO LEARN HOW TO USE IT. It takes a little while to get used to it but if your husband bought the regular retail version, it does have a book. The program has some very cool effects. Some are easy to do, others……….well, I’ll get there one day.

Plus you have this group! I don’t think there’s anything that you can’t find out from someone here. Nothing replaces learning how to use the program for yourself but it’s nice to know that if you get to the point where you are ready to bounce the computer out of the window, someone here will help you put it back on your desk. 🙂

wrote in message
I have a genuineIntel X86 with 255.0mb ram and windows 98……canon d660u
scanner, s820 canon printer…….My husband just gave me the PE2.0 program. I am sitting here with the box still unopened wondering if I actually need this/and if I do, is it going to do all I want. …..I have all my pix on my hard drive right now…I get them from my scanner, my cam, my casio and sony digital cams. I also have a program with NO book called Pixila ImageMixer..and I can’t use it. What I want to do is print albums, send them on email, put them on cd, make cards,…etc. Will I be able to do all this with this program and in the end also know that anyone who opens one of my pictures or cds will not have to buy a whole new program or download anything special. I would like to know if this product is really a good, no hassel, user friendly one before I open it. My husband works too hard for his money for the program to end up in software heaven. Although, I do understand that I….yes, I have to be smart enough to use it……………that’s still on the table. Any input is appreciated.
EM
Eric_Matthes
Oct 3, 2003
You can do all that with Elements. I make cards with elements; it’s just a matter of setting up the margins correctly on the first couple cards – a little trial and error does it.
Your photos can be viewed by everyone. You just save them as a jpg, and no special software will be needed to view the images.
You don’t have to be smarter than anyone else to use Elements, you just need to be willing to ask questions and play around with a couple pictures, unafraid to make some mistakes. You’ll actually like some of your mistakes! We call them "fortunate accidents". As long as you copy your images first, you can do anything you want to them and always go back to the original image if you mess it up.
One of the advantages of Elements is that when you make a mistake, you don’t necessarily have to start over; you can back up a few steps and make adjustments.
Good luck, and ask lots of questions!
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 3, 2003
And if you’re comparing against Pixela… don’t!! There’s definitely a learning curve with Elements, but at least you can learn it.

My suggestion would be that you download the demo version of Elements before you open the retail version, since you’re so unclear on what it can and cannot do. The demo will let you take a look at it and see if it’s the kind of software you’d use. The demo is good for 30 days, and within that period you should have your answer.

HOWEVER, if you download the demo and then decide to keep the retail version, you have to make sure the demo has been completely uninstalled from your computer before putting the new one on. Come back here to the forum first if you want some help accomplishing that.
PD
Pete_D
Oct 3, 2003
Something to consider;

Most people that use PSE had no idea how extensively they would use its features when they bought it.

I think the vast majority of current users are either new to photo editing or came from some program like Photodeluxe and were just amazed by the features of PSE.

Now they are creating exceptional photos and are developing other image skills that were not even a thought or a diesire two years ago.

What I am saying is that it seems like it would be impossible for you to make this decision because you just don’t know what all the program can do and more importantly, like most of us, don’t know what you will be doing with photos in the future.

Load the program and get started. I don’t think you will have any regrets if you spend some time with it.

Pete
EM
Elena_Murphy
Oct 3, 2003
You may also want to try the Album demo. It might be what you’re really looking for and since you’re on windows, would be an alternative to Elements if you’re not into all the image editing stuff.
EM
Eric_Matthes
Oct 3, 2003
I second that!
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Oct 3, 2003
Elena, that was my initial thought, too – can always move up to Elements later.
EM
Elena Murphy
Oct 3, 2003
Ah yes, Chuck. I see you already suggested that. Sorry, I missed the first few posts. I wish I could show all messages by default.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Oct 3, 2003
Elena, no problem – it’s good to have affirmation!

🙂
ML
Marty_Landolt
Oct 4, 2003
‘Z’,
I bought both PSE and Album in the same month. I wanted to organize my photos better and send more to relatives and friends.
Now I find I am using PSE more, but also sending out more (and better) pictures. Whatever you decide I hope you come back and tell us or ask more questions….you can’t beat this gang of helpers!
Marty

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections