DC
Posted By
Doug_Cheeseman
Apr 22, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Firstly, sorry know this is not a PS problem, but…

I met with a client in central London first thing this morning (at reasonable time and cost ) especially to pick up a DVD of photos. Therefore (I thought) gaining a day on a busy project as the DVD would have otherwise been in the post. However I got back to my office – and the DVD won’t load…

I tried for 2 hours to crack it, but to no avail using both sys 9.22 and OSX. It briefly teased me by displaying some contents but wouldn’t allow me to copy and mostly causes the drive to whirr for a while before spewing the disk out. The drive is okay with all other disks so it seems the disk is corrupt. Does anyone know any way of retrieving data from a seemingly dodgy DVD?

I am currently sitting in the corner of my office having a little cry to myself…

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Z
Zeb
Apr 22, 2004
Wireless keyboard?

Probably a different DVD format .
J
JasonSmith
Apr 22, 2004
I’ve had this problem with some DVD’s.

"The drive is okay with all other disks"

With other DVD’s as well? I had a brand new CDR/DVD drive go out on me, it wouldnt see any DVDs.
DC
Doug_Cheeseman
Apr 22, 2004
I should have added that this client has supplied numerous disks in the same format before. All have been okay so don’t think it’s the keyboard. I guess he could have formatted it differently (accidentally) or failed to verify properly…
DC
Doug_Cheeseman
Apr 22, 2004
Yep, checked other DVDs too
B
Buko
Apr 22, 2004
Does the bad DVD work in any other computer??

If not its time to ask for a new one.
NP
Navarro_Parker
Apr 22, 2004
There are lots of reasons. Maybe your client switched to cheapie generic media? Maybe it was burned with different software? DVDs are very very sensitive to dust, fingerprints, and scratches. Maybe someone pressed a little too hard with a pen when writing on the disc? If its very cold outside and you bring into a warm office, that could cause temporary problems too.

I’d just ask for another copy.
PM
Proudest_Monkey
Apr 22, 2004
I think your outa luck on that *or I may be wrong*

I have horrible luck when one of my bosses burns CD’s for me…I get the whir and then nothing…turned out it was the software he used to burn it that was causing problems…

Your best bet like everyone else said, is ask for another copy…
DC
Doug_Cheeseman
Apr 22, 2004
Think you’re right. For whatever reason it’s a duff disk and I don’t have another computer with a DVD drive to be sure.

Drag is, client is in Barnet, I’m in Honor Oak. If you don’t know London (and a lot of Londoners don’t know Honor Oak) that’s a long way to go. Looks like it’s replacement in the post (assuming post turns up tomorrow) with time and effort wasted

I’m staying calm tho…
P
PeterK.
Apr 22, 2004
I’m not sure but I think I’ve heard that macs have trouble with a particular kind of DVD – DVD-R or DVD+R, I can’t remember which. It might be a matter of using a different disk to burn.
L
LRK
Apr 22, 2004
Macs can only burn to DVD- unless things have changed since I got mine.
RG
Rene_Garneau
Apr 22, 2004
We use DVD-R (Fujifilm- Disc for Data and Video) and it’s fine.

We cannot use DVD-R, from TDK (DVD-R for Authoring); and we cannot use DVD+RW. Those are the ones we bought and tested.

Doug, what kind of DVD is it (for Data and Video, for Authoring, etc)?
What type of DVD disk is it & what type of DVD reader do you have???

My internal DVD (came with my Mac) only can use DVD-R

My external TDK DVD reader/writer can take DVD-R and DVD+R

If I pput a DVD+R into my internal drive… all it does is spin… good as a coaster. Put it in the drive made for DVD+R.. it works.
J
jonf
Apr 22, 2004
I’m assuming you already tried thoroughly cleaning the dvd. (Just crossing my fingers)
J
JasonSmith
Apr 22, 2004
I’m assuming you’ve already tried thorougly putting the DVD through a paper shredder by this point.

Hey look…confetti!
B
Buko
Apr 22, 2004
I’m assuming you’ve already tried thorougly putting the DVD through a paper shredder by this point.

what a waste of a perfectly good coaster.
R
Ram
Apr 22, 2004
Or high speed frisbee.
M
macmanx
Apr 23, 2004
The DVD may have been burned on a higher speed than your Mac DVD drive supports… The Superdrive can only read/write to certain speed disks (speed factor)—if you try using some of the higher speed disks on the market, the Superdrive WON’T accept them… I‘m not familiar with all the details at this moment, but this issue has come up numerous times on various forums. The later Superdrives (104)—may have solved this problem. I stand to be corrected, though!

The first-generation Superdrive (Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-103) in my 733 is a very sensitive beast… I have some CD’s that simply will NOT play in this drive, yet they play reliably in my stereo or Sony Diskman.

Macs can only burn to DVD- unless things have changed since I got mine.

I don’t quite follow you here, Linda. Are you saying that you can’t burn CD’s, as well as DVD’s?
T
Todie
Apr 23, 2004
If it doesn’t work on an internal drive, try it on an external (at a computer store, maybe?!?)
DC
Doug_Cheeseman
Apr 23, 2004
Turns out the client (on his newish G5) splashed out on some new DVDs which support DVD + and DVD – formats. These worked fine on his G5 which supports both but my little ol’ G4 only supports DVD –. He has re-formatted for DVD – only and they work on his G4. Fingers crossed it will work on mine – when it gets here.

Could be useful to know if you’re being supplied by someone with a G5!

Thanks for the advice everyone

PS
If anyone has a G4 it takes ages to find out what you’re read/write speed capacity is. Mine a G4 silver 933 has a Pioneer 1.49, DVD-RW DVD-103 and writes up to 2x reads up to 4x.
RG
Rene_Garneau
Apr 23, 2004
I did a Google search on "DVD different format" and here is one of the article that came up:

< http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Hardware_Software/2003/D VDFormatsExplained.asp>

One thing they say is:

The type of media you should use depends on its intended use and there is one thing to keep in mind: neither format is considered “The Standard.” The dominance of one format over the other will mainly be affected by how the market chooses to drive the formats. This situation is quite similar to the time the market was deciding between VHS and Beta almost two decades ago.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections