CS
Posted By
Chuck_Snyder
Oct 3, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve finally reached the point of frustration with Win 98SE that I’m prepared to buy XP and move on. My question to those who use Elements and XP: can I get away with XP Home or do I need to bite the bullet and buy XP Professional? Thanks.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

PD
Pete_D
Oct 3, 2003
Chuck,

XP Home works just fine for me.

Pete
GD
Grant_Dixon
Oct 3, 2003
Chuck

You only really need XP pro if you are planning to run a SECURE network.

Grant
GD
Grant_Dixon
Oct 3, 2003
Chuck be careful at one point you had to dial in for an access to the program and you could only use it on one machine. Not sure if that is the case now.

Grant
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Oct 3, 2003
Pete and Grant – thanks very much! Off to Sam’s for a copy of XP Home.

Think I’ll practice on my laptop first….

🙂

Chuck
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Oct 3, 2003
Grant, thanks – I’ll check it out before buying.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Oct 3, 2003
Chuck, I use the ‘home’ edition. You will love it ! …very picture friendly 😉
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Oct 3, 2003
Chuck,
XP-Home works well for me. You can always install the office package later, should you need it. My Dell computer came with Works which has Word in it. I researched this entire issue last year and the concensus is that a new, clean install of XP is more trouble free than an upgrade. Most of my old programs work in XP and installed promptly; only one card making program did not work and I uninstalled and purchased a replacement – planned obsolescence.
By the way, some of the new computers with XP do not have Word installed and that is an issue, so do due diligence in this arena.
Ken
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Oct 3, 2003
Grant, looks like you’re right – XP can only be installed on one computer, unlike applications which are generally licensed for one desktop and one laptop. Makes sense, I suppose, but changes the economics a bit….
JA
JoAnn_Amerson
Oct 3, 2003
It’s also used if you want remote access to your systems. And FYI, PSE2 runs well in XP Pro.

JoAnn

wrote in message
Chuck

You only really need XP pro if you are planning to run a SECURE network.
Grant

JA
JoAnn_Amerson
Oct 3, 2003
Having worked for a major computer manufacturer, you are correct about Word not being included on some systems. The low end systems (sub-$800) have to cut costs somewhere and software was one of those places. They tend to include Word Perfect. That’s not a slam to either product – just a plain fact that WP is less expensive.

Ken is also confused about something – and it’s a very common error. XP Pro is the operating system, not the application software. Office XP or 2003 is a different critter. The whole point of this is that the consumer needs to know what they need/want on a computer before they hand over the money. If you don’t tell the sales rep you NEED Excel, don’t come screaming at them whan all you get is Works spreadsheet.

Okay, down off my soapbox…………

wrote in message
Chuck,
XP-Home works well for me. You can always install the office package
later, should you need it. My Dell computer came with Works which has Word in it. I researched this entire issue last year and the concensus is that a new, clean install of XP is more trouble free than an upgrade. Most of my old programs work in XP and installed promptly; only one card making program did not work and I uninstalled and purchased a replacement – planned obsolescence.
By the way, some of the new computers with XP do not have Word installed
and that is an issue, so do due diligence in this arena.
Ken
LK
Leen_Koper
Oct 3, 2003
XP home did work well for me……untill last Tuesday.
Now I wished I ‘d bought the Pro edition as part of the RIP software of my new printer doesnot work under XP Home.

Leen
JD
Juergen_D
Oct 3, 2003
Chuck,

I’ve XP Home on one desktop and 98SE on another. I do, of course, all the important stuff like the Challenge under XP, which, as Jodi said, is very picture friendly. Both desktops are networked together via router with 4-port switch. Maybe networking is an option for you too. That way you can get the hang of XP and still have 98?!

Juergen
PD
Pete_D
Oct 3, 2003
Chuck,

I don’t think you will have any problem using any home printer, or scanner etc….

But one thing you may have to do is download XP software and drivers. Most all Mfg sites have it available (I have mosty HP and they do) and with your cable connection it does not take long. HP has a special XP link in drivers and downloads section as I recall.

Win98 software and drivers for scanner and printers will crash an XP computer in some cases. I have first hand knowledge and still a bit of a headache from changeover 20 months ago.

Pete
PD
Pete_D
Oct 3, 2003
But Chuck, Don’t let all that scare you off…..It is worth the effort! I have not seen a "blue screen" in years now!!!

Pete
PL
Paul_L_UK
Oct 3, 2003
Hope yu bought the upgrade, as over here it works out at 25% less. All you need to do a clean instal is your Win98 disk.

Paul
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Oct 3, 2003
Pete, it’s funny – every time I begin to get up the nerve to convert to XP, along comes a post like yours that scares me away from it! It ain’t broke, really, just stalling every once in a while; believe I’ll go back to my tried and true approach of waiting to change operating systems until it’s time to buy a new computer. Maybe later this year I’ll see what that fine Texas gentleman Mr. Michael Dell might have to offer…

Thanks!

Chuck
JA
JoAnn_Amerson
Oct 3, 2003
I was just forced to upgrade from Win 98SE to XP Pro. So far, the only casualty is my old scanner. And I was already aware that there were no XP drivers for it. I bought a new scanner and a friend offered to buy the old one.

I am a firm believer of "if it ain’t broke…." but my wireless router/cable modem combo wouldn’t talk to my system and had no problems with my husband’s XP Pro system. My back was against a wall. I did a full reformat and a clean install. So far, no complaints.

wrote in message
Pete, it’s funny – every time I begin to get up the nerve to convert to
XP,
along comes a post like yours that scares me away from it! It ain’t
broke,
really, just stalling every once in a while; believe I’ll go back to my tried and true approach of waiting to change operating systems until it’s time to buy a new computer. Maybe later this year I’ll see what that fine Texas gentleman Mr. Michael Dell might have to offer…

Thanks!

Chuck

CS
Chuck_Snyder
Oct 3, 2003
Jo Ann – the words ‘full reformat and clean install’ send chills down my spine; when I did my last virus scan, it found 90,000 files on my C-drive (and there’s also a D). All the software is legit, but patches and plug-ins abound. Then there’s the problem of my organization – or rather lack thereof – for all the software source disks. No, not for me, at least not now.

BTW, I have a wireless access point router on this Win 98 SE machine and it seems to be working fine – wonder what’s different??

Chuck
JF
Jodi_Frye
Oct 3, 2003
Chuck, doing your homework on which new computer to buy will be just as much work. You’ll probably end up ‘building’ your own PC if you buy from Dell, Compaq etc… just be sure it has a good graphics card…for photoshop…of course 😉
JA
JoAnn_Amerson
Oct 3, 2003
I know – it scared the bejeebers out of me too. I had hubby bring home the portable hard drive and backed up all of my stuff.

Yes, I had to reinstall all of the software and applicable patches. The only thing I couldn’t find was the product key for Publisher 2002. I called Microsoft and they issued a new number for me. Ta-dum.

The piece of equipment I got is a combination cable modem and router – plus it’s wireless. It’s new to the market and although it *says* Win 98 on the box for system requirements, it could not be configured to work. Believe me, I tried. The cool thing is that it will sit in the living room on the main floor, Keith’s computer is downstairs in his office/basement and mine will be upstairs in my office/spare bedroom. Right now it’s on the dining room table and Keith is starting to ask me when I’m taking it back upstairs. (I will – this weekend.)

wrote in message
Jo Ann – the words ‘full reformat and clean install’ send chills down my spine; when I did my last virus scan, it found 90,000 files on my C-drive (and there’s also a D). All the software is legit, but patches and
plug-ins
abound. Then there’s the problem of my organization – or rather lack thereof – for all the software source disks. No, not for me, at least not now.

BTW, I have a wireless access point router on this Win 98 SE machine and
it
seems to be working fine – wonder what’s different??

Chuck

CS
Chuck_Snyder
Oct 3, 2003
JoAnn – ah….that’s the difference. I have a cable modem feeding the wireless router feeding the ‘puter.
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 3, 2003
Oh, Chuck, go for it!!! When I have to use one of the Win machines, the XP is so much nicer than Win 98. Come on, move into the 2000s, it won’t hurt much! 🙂
RR
Raymond Robillard
Oct 3, 2003
Chuck,

There’s a downside on everything… Windows XP (both flavor) is much more tough on machine performace. All those nice things it does (like a thumbnail preview of pictures, automatic slideshows, CD burning) put a great burden on the processor. I had a Pentium II 400 Mhz with 256Mb of RAM before I upgraded to Win XP Home. All of a sudden, my machine became much slower. Had to change for faster processor, and add a lot of memory* So if your current machine is close to what was mine, you might not be as joyfull as you think you’ll be, after the upgrade.

If you have the habbit of rebooting every 2 hours (or close to), Win98 shouldn’t be a problem for now. And if you plan on changing your computer soon, then waiting to have a freshly installed version of Windows XP is perhaps a better idea. You could always have your current hard drive be installed in your new machine and transfer important files from there. Way easier than backing up everything you think you’ll need (and realizing you forgot something after the formating is done!)

Ray
* Because I run a lot of graphic intensive applications, 256Mb wasn’t really enough. Nowadays, my computer has 1.25Gb of RAM, and sometimes, memory usage goes up to 900Mb. So I still have room left to start the e-mail, or listen to music. And I run a P4 – 1.5Ghz.
DS
Dick_Smith
Oct 3, 2003
On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 11:43:37 -0700, wrote:

Pete, it’s funny – every time I begin to get up the nerve to convert to XP,
along comes a post like yours that scares me away from it!

Chuck, I would add to that that the best way to install XP is to do a native install rather than an upgrade. That really adds the work on to the user. At least when I made the switch a year ago I was advised by the IT people at the college to do that. True, it was a pain, but I’ve never had one problem with it since.

My soloution was to install a new hard drive, install XP on it, and use the existing hard drive for storage and 98 in case I needed to go back.

Dick
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Oct 3, 2003
Ray, thanks for the advice – right on target as always. I just put together my ‘wish list’ computer on the Dell site, and it priced out at just over $2000US – better than I expected. BUT…..it’s not in the plan for now. Life will go on with my underpowered Compaq Presario huffing and puffing and straining to keep up with the demands placed on it by the members of this household…
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Oct 3, 2003
Dick, thanks. That’s a possibility, as I have one more bay that could accommodate a hard drive. However, the other limitations of this machine – particularly the max RAM of 512 MB – are causing me to re-assess my strategy. May have to use my Dell Frequent Buyer miles…

🙂

Chuck
RR
Raymond Robillard
Oct 3, 2003
Chuck, in the meantime… have you started to backup your stuff? I remember you said something about not having a backup… If your machine is old as you make it sound, now would *certainly* be a good time to think about that (and will keep your mind occupied until the 2000 U$ grows on your money three!)

Ray
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Oct 3, 2003
Ray, good idea. Pictures and financial records are backed up, but everything else is hung out to dry. Any suggested approach? I have a slow (4x) CD burner, although there’s a 52x drive in a box here that hasn’t been installed…
R
Ray
Oct 3, 2003
Chuck,

You want me to tell it out here in the open? 😉

I use a software that’s called Backup MyPC, it’s from Stomp. I don’t know the pricing for US, nor when bought on-line. It closely match Windows Explorer, and it’s fairly easy to use. It can span backup on 32 disks (there’s a way to know before you start how many disk it’ll use). Stomp is a Veritas brand, and Veritas are beyond several big companies’ backup policies (like my employer). I’ve relied on Veritas for several years now and was never decieved.

You go and do a general backup (forget the usual WINDOWS and PROGRAM FILES, as those can never be retrieved and re-intregrated in Windows. In Program Files though, you might want to backup files like Plugin installed from the web, textures in PSE (software personalization if you know what I mean).

Go ahead, install that 52X drive, and while looking in the box, you might find a software to perform
backups 😉

Btw, as far as I can remember, Win98 backup tool is unreliable, at best. Files are written, but can
rarely be retrieved successfully.

Ray
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Oct 4, 2003
Ray, thanks! I’m not proud…..

😉
JA
JoAnn_Amerson
Oct 4, 2003
Yep – neither of our computers are wired to the modem/router. No cable connection in the rooms where we have them computers set up. We are both wireless. Wah hoo.

wrote in message
JoAnn – ah….that’s the difference. I have a cable modem feeding the wireless router feeding the ‘puter.

CS
Chuck_Snyder
Oct 4, 2003
Wireless here was set up to accommodate my son while he was home from college this summer, and for me to use my laptop when the desktop is in use; not a necessity, for sure, but it has kept everyone happy…..
JA
JoAnn_Amerson
Oct 4, 2003
Although I am online so much more than Keith, it’s still nice. Plus I needed to stop tying up the phone line.

wrote in message
Wireless here was set up to accommodate my son while he was home from college this summer, and for me to use my laptop when the desktop is in
use;
not a necessity, for sure, but it has kept everyone happy…..

R
Ray
Oct 4, 2003
Wireless and cable connected here. Both computers (desktop) are hard wired, and the laptop is wireless. Was intalled to make sure I was outside when Summer would come and go. It worked! For the 35 seconds Summer was here, I was outside. It happened on a Sunday evening, around 8PM. Was I glad to have a wireless access to be able to witness such an event! Since then, Winter returned. Wireless will need to be dusted, soon 😉

(kidding, of course. Summer lasts 2 hours & 25 minutes, in this part of Earth).

Ray
R
Ray
Oct 4, 2003
Chuck, there’s no shame! I did some very odd things myself, like buying software (a plugin for PSE)
for which the demo worked fine, but I hadn’t tested it entirely. Once installed, the real software could barely be used… I should have made the complete tour before buying it.. 😉
AM
Al_Millstein
Oct 4, 2003
How readily does wireless work?

I have two computers – cable comes into house, goes to modem. Modem goes to Netgear Hub, from which two plug-in cables go to each of two computers.

I want to go from basement to 2nd floor with one computer, but don’t want to put cable through the walls. How would wireless work? What gizmo’s do I have to buy? Is it just plug in? Where would it plug in? Is configuration required? Can a lame-brain like me do it (reading the instructions if there are any and they’re in simple English), or do I need help from someone less technically challenged than I.

My two computers are 5 year old Win 98, and a 2 1/2 year old, which was upgraded from ME to XP Home. Planning soon to buy a new ‘puter to replace the 98 (expect to spend $800- $1.000). If I go wireless with the Oldie now, will it be a waste, or can it all transfer to the new updater?

What the heck is ethernet? Does it have anything to do with all of this? Do I buy it as part of the new ‘puter?

Boy – what a load of questions – unloading my so-called brain.

Al
R
Ray
Oct 4, 2003
Al,

How readily does wireless work?

It transmits the internet signal from the router to receivers, located in every computer you have. They come in various models, some are USB, others are network card. They usually have a small antenna to receive the signal broadcasted by your router.

I have two computers – cable comes into house, goes to modem. Modem goes to Netgear Hub, from
which two plug-in cables go to each of two computers.

With wireless : cable goes into modem. Modem goes into wireless capable router. Wireless transmits
signal on both cables and antennas. Your choice. If either computer is close enough to the router,
continue to use the cable(s), your investment will be smaller. Else, if all are far from the router
(or you have plans to move them far away), then consider buying the proper equipment.

I want to go from basement to 2nd floor with one computer, but don’t want to put cable through the
walls. How would wireless work?

Usually, a 3 floor house is ok. But it depends on the type of material used to build your house. If there’s a lot of concrete walls, that might pose a problem.

What gizmo’s do I have to buy?

The new wireless router, 1 to 3 receivers (read previous paragraph).

Is it just plug in?

Yes and no. The router itself will probably need no configuration. Your computers will. Regardless of the type of access you’ll choose for each of them, they will no longer access the internet directly, they will be "routed" to it. So they need to be told where to reach it.

Where would it plug in?

If you go with the USB receiver, any USB port will be fine. If you go with the cables for some of your computer, they already have the network card, so the cables will connect to the actual ports.

Is configuration required?

On each computer, yes.

Can a lame-brain like me do it (reading the instructions if there are any and they’re in simple
English)

Yes, positively. They all come with either a wizzard (on an installation CD) or with a detailed Quick Start manual.

, or do I need help from someone less technically challenged than I.

Usually, tech support is one phone call away, and from what I heard so far, both Linksys and Netgear
have good customer support. Those are the two brands I know and read about.

My two computers are 5 year old Win 98, and a 2 1/2 year old, which was upgraded from ME to XP
Home. Planning soon to buy a new ‘puter to replace the 98 (expect to spend $800- $1.000). If I go wireless with the Oldie now, will it be a waste, or can it all transfer to the new updater?

Wireless is never wasted. You’ll have the luxury of moving them else where in your house. Like I said, if they’re already close to the router, no need to connect them wirelessly. Keep your actual cables, simply change the router, and configure them to use it.

What the heck is ethernet?

It’s a protocol. Think of it as a language. I speak French, but when I speak with you guys, I "load English" in my brain. A protocol is simply put another language.

Does it have anything to do with all of this?

Yes, because your router will distribute the Internet through the Ethernet protocol.

Do I buy it as part of the new ‘puter?

All new computer come with an Ethernet Adapter now (a.k.a. a network card).

Boy – what a load of questions – unloading my so-called brain.

If you need more help, keep posting your questions. There’s always someone around to help 🙂

If this helps you, my current setup : Cable to Modem. Modem to Linksys wireless. Two computers connect with cables to the router (which has 4 connectors available). One laptop, running wireless everywhere in the appartment. The only place causing a problem is in the bedroom because it needs to cross two solid concrete walls (6~8 inches thick). However, going outside is not an issue. I live in a sub-basement, and I can use the laptop to the end of the parking spot.

Some things to consider : if you have a cordless phone running on the 2.4Ghz frequency AND your new router is running at the same frequency, you might encounter some slowlyness on the internet while discussing over the phone. I haven’t seen it myself, but I heard of others to whom it happened. Now, this might be an urban legend. Also, if you do a lot of video-chatting (with Netmeeting or Messenger), the router may well prevent this from running. Also file transfers with Messenger will probably not work. Email, surfing, multimedia shows will all work fine.

Ray
AM
Al_Millstein
Oct 4, 2003
Ray, you are a storehouse of wealth and knowledge.

Al
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 4, 2003
OK, Ray, here’s another one for you! I’ve currently got a Linksys router and a Linksys wireless access point. I’ve heard of wireless routers, but I’m only assuming my guess about what they are is correct, so check it out: A wireless router would replace both my current 4 hub router and the wireless access point. Correct? So I could use one piece of equipment in place of two?

The WAP is getting nasty, and I have to keep resetting it. It worked OK for almost 18 months but has been real flaky lately.
R
Ray
Oct 4, 2003
Beth,

Yes, but… Check out their website first, because many of their routers do not state that they support Mac (something to do with the encryption required to run a wireless access network). Anyway, your cable-modem (or ISDN) would connect to the new wireless router, which will serve as the
router + the wireless access point.

One quick search on their website showed that the WAP11 will support any Air port ready Mac because it uses the TCP/IP protocol. On Netgear website, they clearly state that they support Mac, and are designing specific products for them.

Your WAP is behaving like any other piece of equipment, by the way, in the wireless world I’ve seen so far. One day it works, and the next, it stops functionning and needs regular reset. On a message board, I read several complains from users of both Netgear, Linksys and Belkin about the same thing : it worked fine for 18 months then needs a regular reboot. The older the device is, the
shorter the time between two reboot is.

Ray
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 4, 2003
Well, Linksys didn’t support Macs when we got it, either, but why should I let a little detail like that stop me?! I do the administration from a Win 98, anyway, and, yes, the WAP 11 works beautifully with Airport – when it works. The signal has been dropping out on both the PowerBook and the wireless XP Pro, so the common point is the WAP 11.

So, I could replace the router and the WAP11 with a wireless router, run two of my desktops via ethernet cable and have wireless access for the other two computers. Cool!

By the way, I did call Linksys the last time it was giving us so much trouble and they had me change a set of numbers. That only last a few months, though, before it started acting up again.
RR
Raymond Robillard
Oct 5, 2003
Beth,

It’s possible some neighboors in your area got another WAP and it’s conflicting with yours. This I’m not familiar with. I’ve tried to check what numbers you’re talking off, but can’t quite come up with what would help you.

Have contacted Linksys again? Perhaps they’ll have you change some of your router’s / WAP setting.

You could run up to 250 wireless computers on your network, by the way. Performance, however, may decrease a little. On our network, we never got more than 3 computers. The fourth one will be coming next year (yeah… THE MAC!)

Ray
VV
Vicky_Vicky
Oct 5, 2003
Hi. Still can’t get ng to work, but I thought I would pop into the web forum and add to this discussion by saying that I’ve used my 15"pb and a 12" ibook with both Linksys and Netgear 4 port wireless switches (routers), and they have worked perfectly fine, except that you sometimes have to fiddle with the password and make the computer send it as hex. I forget exactly how to do that, but IIRC, it becomes obvious as you’re working through the settings. YMMV – they may have improved the products recently. Neither of these devices was designed specifically to work with Macs, yet they work just fine (as long as you remember that password thing). This password issue will only arise if you use encryption, which I strongly advise people to do if they aren’t already doing that (the thing is, why leave your network open to anyone with a receiver who could then use your bandwidth for free?).

I have not run into any reset issues, but then we’ve only had these devices for about a year, now, or perhaps just a bit longer. I have heard of this problem, though, and two solutions: do a complete reset which will wipe the memory, or replace the device (they are fairly cheap anyway). Personally, if either of our products gets toasted, we’ll probably go with an Airport base station next, as they are supposed to be of a higher quality.

One problem with netgear’s wireless router: it is hard coded to hammer the living heck out of some poor site at the University of Wisconsin. They’ve put out updates for their *wired* routers, but none so far for their *wireless* router, or at least not that I know of. So, if you want to buy one, do so knowing that you are buying something that is polluting the internet (this is just for the wireless routers as the wired ones, as I said, have upgrades available). If you already own one of the wired ones and you haven’t upgraded your firmware, you should go to Netgear’s site for further info. AFAIK, they don’t tell you *why* an upgrade is available, but they do at least tell you how to install it.

The 2.5ghz phone thing is not an urban legend. It’s just that some people may not notice it if their signal is strong enough to begin with, and if their equipment uses the algorithms designed to deal with microwave ovens (some use this automatically, while others have it as an option – AFAIK, Macs do this automatically).

Last but not least, I got a Win98 machine up and running with both Linksys and Netgear wireless products, and I hooked up an XP box (wired, though) as well, but only to the Netgear product. Worked like a charm (that is, until XP decided to no longer share its internet connection, but that’s a whole different topic). The setup was very easy and Netgear’s product came with both a CD and an instruction manual. I think I had to download the instruction manual for the Linksys model, which meant having a fully working computer that could get onto the internet. I did not use both products on the same network, though, so I don’t know how they handle "roaming" (i.e. taking a laptop on a little walk from one access point to another, without having to log into a different network). I have heard that traditionally, it’s been very hard to make roaming work with different manufacturers’ products mixed together. I wouldn’t know for sure, though.

(all that said, I can also safely say that Macs work perfectly with Enterasys products, too, but people here are unlikely to buy that stuff as it is considerably more expensive and is intended for the corporate market)
JA
JoAnn_Amerson
Oct 5, 2003
I’ll chirp in here also. We were going cable so we purchased one RCA wireless cable modem/router and two Linksys wireless USB adapters. (Total cost was approx $210 for all three pieces.) The modem/router will sit on an end table in the living room at the cable jack. It’s about the size of a TV cable box. One of the computers is on the floor below that, the other on the floor above that. The adapters are slightly thinner than a deck of cards – with a little antenna.

We were told that we may notice some speed decrease because we are using USB adapters but it’s a LOT faster than dial-up so I’m not complaining. 🙂

"Ray" wrote in message

(snip)

What gizmo’s do I have to buy?

The new wireless router, 1 to 3 receivers (read previous paragraph).
RR
Raymond Robillard
Oct 5, 2003
That’s right JoAnn. USB is slower than a wireless card (PCI). Particularly if you have other USB devices connected on the same USB branch (USB is like a tree with branches that are splitted from one level to another), and that those devices are used simultaneously with the wireless adapter (for example, downloading a big file and scanning a document at the same time, with those two devices being connected in the same USB hub).

But, with the recent introduction of USB 2.0, things are changing. New adapters that are certified USB 2.0 (or USB HighSpeed) will to match the speed of a wireless card.

I just bought a USB 2.0 Compact Flash card reader yesterday. Did some testing this morning. Old read : 3 minutes for 107Mb. New reader : 1 min 20 seconds for the same size, same card. Now this was done with a 4X Compact Flash card. The same size took 50 seconds on my 12X card. Half the time!

Ray
LM
Lou_M
Oct 5, 2003
We’ve got two wired Windows boxes (our house got hit by lightning–don’t ask–and fried the phone wires, so we put in Cat5 wiring at the same time we rewired the phone lines) and two portable Macs using wireless.

The Macs were not only effortless to set up, they also have built-in antennae, so no funky antenna hanging off the notebook is necessary.

The only configuration I had to do was, as Vicky said, security. At any one time, there are about 4 wireless networks in the neighborhood I can join. Only two have security.
N
nuttin
Oct 5, 2003
"Ray" wrote in message
Is it just plug in?

Yes and no. The router itself will probably need no >configuration.

Sorry, but the router will need to be configured from one of the computers; you will need to tell the router how your internet is accessed, etc. You also need to use various settings for wireless security which are configured on the router’s IP address which is accessed from the one computer that you need to have initially "wired" to the router (you can log in to the router via wireless, if you like that risk).
You can get more information on this topic at alt.internet.wireless
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Oct 11, 2003
A postscript on this one: with a little help and a lot of encouragement from my forum friends, I installed XP Home today in probably the riskiest way possible: right on top of old Win 98 SE. It was one of the smoothest installs of software I’ve ever experienced. I had to reinstall my printer, PDA, and scanner afterward, and I also had to buy an upgrade to Norton Internet Security, but otherwise everything seems to be working well – and much faster in some cases. Thanks to Ray and Pete and others who gave me the ‘nudge’ to get over the hump. Ready now for PSA 2, PS CS, and PSE 3, wherever that might be….

🙂

Chuck
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 11, 2003
Hoooray!!! Let’s hear it for Chuck!! 🙂

You’re going to like XP a whole lot better. You’ll be glad you worked up your courage and did this!
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Oct 11, 2003
Well, I started the afternoon off by bashing my head against the wall – literally. So I figured it couldn’t be any worse than that…

🙂
R
Ray
Oct 11, 2003
Well, I started the afternoon off by bashing my head against the wall – literally. So I figured it couldn’t be any worse than that…

Ouch… poor little wall, it never asked to be so badly treated.. 😉

Congratulations on the move. You won’t regret it. Now, get ready, Windows XP++ (or whatever name they will give it) is comming out in less than 18 months.

….I know, it’s a long shot, but since I took you 24 months to upgrade, better get yourself ready now… (lol!)

Ray
P.S. I’m only teasing you, rest assured, I respect everyone’s choice. I even supported someone with Win 3.11 a few months ago!
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Oct 12, 2003
Chuck,
Glad that it worked out for you. My Dad used to say:"This problem, when solved, is easy." Ken
LM
Lou_M
Oct 12, 2003
Good goin’, Chuck. You’ll find WinXP to be much more stable than 98 ever was.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Oct 12, 2003
Lou, I’ve had one black screen shutdown/auto restart so far, soon after I downloaded and installed PS Album 2.0. Keeping my fingers crossed that was a fluke…..
CS
carl_sutherland
Oct 12, 2003
Chuck,

If XP does not work out for you, I tried the upgrade a different way-to MAC OS X and a MAC 17 inch Powerbook. I was computer illiterate 18 months ago and I could not get my wife’s W 98 2 ed to work. I made the switch easily with wonderful assistance from Barbara and others and left all those troubles behind. I bought an Airport, plugged it in, and it has worked great since where ever I go in the house (or in my daughter’s house who has some other wireless system). I think I have had to reset it once in several months. I find the MAC system so much easier and intuitive than the 98 was and I no longer have those infuriating shutdowns. The tech service with Apple I find light years ahead of what Dell has. The MAC also looks so much nicer.

Just a thought and my experience. I hope XP solves your problems as well as OS X has solved mine.

Carl
SR
Schraven_Robert
Oct 13, 2003
Carl,

I learned quite a bit of this thread and what happens if windows is end of line and am seriously thinking to switch to mac’s next time my computer system is up for an upgrade. Especially since by that time I will have to buy a new printer etc. because Microsoft does no longer support those nor their own windows 2000.

Robert
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 13, 2003
Carl is sure a happy "switcher"! 🙂 And that’s always so nice to hear.
PD
Pete_D
Oct 13, 2003
because Microsoft does no longer support those nor their own windows 2000.

Robert,

This is a very interesting; I was understanding that Win2000 was going to be supported beyond 2005 since they are still selling system builder licenses and will continue selling until at least march 2005. (according to MS website; http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycleconsumer.mspx )

Pete
EC
Elaine_Carbone
Oct 13, 2003
I have XP Home and I am satisfied with it. It’s far superior than 98SE. No more freeze up you would get with 98SE. XP works great with Elements 2.0. You’ll find more ease and flexibility with both Digital and 35mm format. Good
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Oct 13, 2003
Elaine, thanks. Only two spurious restarts and no freeze-ups in three days; not bad considering I didn’t do a ‘clean’ install. Will run disk scan and defragment to complete the job.
PD
Pete_D
Oct 14, 2003
Chuck,

You will find that WinXP requires less defragging than previous versions. There is an "analyze" button that usually tells me that the disk does not need defragged. But with Norton "Speed Disk" it has indicated that the disk did need defragged………but only twice in the last year.

Pete
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Oct 14, 2003
Pete, thanks – I’ll look for the Analyze button!
SR
Schraven_Robert
Oct 14, 2003
Pete,

Regarding the date when Microsoft stops supporting 2000 I couldn’t tell you. I was extrapolating on info in this thread that Microsoft discontinues their support to older systems at some stage.
By what you state it will be after 2005. Good for me to know because my system has to last me another few years whilst I am seeking out apple.

Robert

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections