P
Posted By
pezgarden
May 13, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a project and would appreciate some advice. I need to take a photograph, and blow it up to 40×40".
The image needs to be printed tiled in a 5×5 matrix each 8" square. Obviously, I can manually crop down each segment manually with image size.

I may have to do this multiple times. Example with a .25" overlap on each segment.

So, is there any action or automation I can set up to slice up the photo into the 25 separate files. Then print manually?

I have both Mac and PC Photoshop 7 and CS3.

This is for an art project.

Any ideas?

Max

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

MR
Mike Russell
May 13, 2009
On Tue, 12 May 2009 17:58:40 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I have a project and would appreciate some advice. I need to take a photograph, and blow it up to 40×40".
The image needs to be printed tiled in a 5×5 matrix each 8" square. Obviously, I can manually crop down each segment manually with image size.

I may have to do this multiple times. Example with a .25" overlap on each segment.

Here’s one way:

1) set up guides that split the image into the desired number of squares.
2) set "Snap to Guides" in the options.
3) turn off aliasing and feathering, and use the rectangular selection tool to select one of the squares
4) create a new action and click the record button.
5) use select>modify>expand to make the selection larger
6) dupe, flatten, and crop the image.
7) stop recording
8) select the next square, and go to step 4, only now you can play back the action to create the next image.

Another easy way is to set up your squares as slices, then export the images only to a folder. When you get another image, just drag it into the same psd file as a layer, and use the same slices again. Only problem is, I can’t figure out how to get the extra 1/4 inch border this way.

Mike Russell – http://www.curvemeister.com
R
RobertJM
May 13, 2009
wrote in message

So, is there any action or automation I can set up to slice up the photo into the 25 separate files. Then print manually?

I have both Mac and PC Photoshop 7 and CS3.

This is for an art project.

Any ideas?

Max
Some printers do this with a ‘poster print’ setting, my Epson R300 only seems to go up to 4×4 though, others may be different.Have a look in your page set up settings.

Rob
J
Joel
May 13, 2009
Mike Russell wrote:

Here’s one way:

3) turn off aliasing and feathering, and use the rectangular selection tool to select one of the squares
7) stop recording
8) select the next square, and go to step 4, only now you can play back the action to create the next image.

Another easy way is to set up your squares as slices, then export the images only to a folder. When you get another image, just drag it into the same psd file as a layer, and use the same slices again. Only problem is, I can’t figure out how to get the extra 1/4 inch border this way.

I have my reader kill-file all message from @gmail so I don’t have the original message, so if you won’t mind me quoting yours. And hope the OP read text message.

There is/are program designed specific for the job which will print a small photo to POSTER size (as large as you wish) by printing each smaller part to separate sheet of paper, then you put them back together. I don’t remember all the names, except I believe one of them is called POSTER or something like that.

And some printer (I know my laser printer does) have the option to enlarge the small photo to multiple page size like the program I describe above.
MR
Mike Russell
May 14, 2009

The image needs to be printed tiled in a 5×5 matrix each 8" square.

Stumbled across this link today:
http://www.blockposters.com/

It’s a web based service that chops an image into pieces for a poster, and packs it into a pdf that you can print, or have printed, as a single document. Not precisely what you want, since there appears to be no overlap between images, but the price is right.

Mike Russell – http://www.curvemeister.com
R
Rob
May 14, 2009
Joel wrote:
Mike Russell wrote:

Here’s one way:

7) stop recording

I have my reader kill-file all message from @gmail so I don’t have the original message, so if you won’t mind me quoting yours. And hope the OP read text message.

There is/are program designed specific for the job which will print a small photo to POSTER size (as large as you wish) by printing each smaller part to separate sheet of paper, then you put them back together. I don’t remember all the names, except I believe one of them is called POSTER or something like that.

And some printer (I know my laser printer does) have the option to enlarge the small photo to multiple page size like the program I describe above.

There is a program available which does this by adding extra onto the edge of the image. (of the same image)

Not sure where I seen it???? or someone showed it to me?? very recently.

But what it does is add extra when you want to wrap a canvas print over the edge of a frame.

This may jog a memory as to what it was.

r
R
Rob
May 14, 2009
Rob wrote:
Joel wrote:
Mike Russell wrote:

Here’s one way:

3) turn off aliasing and feathering, and use the rectangular selection tool
to select one of the squares
7) stop recording
8) select the next square, and go to step 4, only now you can play back the
action to create the next image.

Another easy way is to set up your squares as slices, then export the images only to a folder. When you get another image, just drag it into the
same psd file as a layer, and use the same slices again. Only problem is,
I can’t figure out how to get the extra 1/4 inch border this way.

I have my reader kill-file all message from @gmail so I don’t have the
original message, so if you won’t mind me quoting yours. And hope the OP read text message.

There is/are program designed specific for the job which will print a small photo to POSTER size (as large as you wish) by printing each smaller
part to separate sheet of paper, then you put them back together. I don’t
remember all the names, except I believe one of them is called POSTER or something like that.

And some printer (I know my laser printer does) have the option to enlarge
the small photo to multiple page size like the program I describe above.

There is a program available which does this by adding extra onto the edge of the image. (of the same image)

Not sure where I seen it???? or someone showed it to me?? very recently.
But what it does is add extra when you want to wrap a canvas print over the edge of a frame.

This may jog a memory as to what it was.

r

Found this and its what you want.

http://www.ononesoftware.com/detail.php?prodLine_id=2

in the whats new bit.

Tiling Feature

Now you can get large format printing from a small format printer, quickly and easily. The new Tiling feature divides an enlargement into smaller pieces, preparing it for printing on a standard-sized printer. Just specify the paper size and overlap option and Genuine Fractals 6 will automatically resize the image and create individual tiles that are ready for printing.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections