J
Posted By
JasonSmith
Apr 21, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
well, we are thinking about printing a job where the client wants a 3D banner – that is a banner that when you put on 3D glasses, stuff pops out at you.

with absolutely no prior knowlege in this sort of thing….I’m asking if anyone out there has done anything similar before.

Anyone with advice (other than running in the other direction =:o ) or knowlege of capable software?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

ZS
Zina_Saunders
Apr 21, 2004
I have done numerous illustrations for a catalogue that was created to appear 3D with Chromatek 3D glasses. Chromatek glasses are clear-lensed. The illustrations were created using no special software, the degree of depth of various elements was determined by the hue. It came out really well. This was a few years back, but the name of the company was Chromatek Inc., Alpharetta, Georgia, USA. I think their name for thier kind of 3D images was ChromaDepth.
J
JasonSmith
Apr 21, 2004
<http://www.chromatek.com/>

Yep, that’s one avenue we’re looking at.

"the degree of depth of various elements was determined by the hue."

That’s what worries me about the Chromatek system.

What if red is assumed to be at one point in the z axis, yet the client wants the red element to stick out more…or less?
ZS
Zina_Saunders
Apr 21, 2004
I remember when I did all those illustrations, I read a manual I got from the company about how the colors of elements affected their "position" in relation to each other…I can’t remember the specifics exactly, but I think that red was in the foreground, yellow mid ground and blue background. So (if I’m remebering the color assingnments right) adding yellow into the red would push it back a bit , you know what I mean? I created original artwork based on the system, and it all looked great, very dimensional, the client was very happy. Get the glasses and the manual, and experiment a bit, it was very straight forward and effective. Also, the artwork looked great without the glasses, perfectly fine with or without the glasses, so it was a very good solution for the client. This was for kids publishing, by the way, where you can get away with really bright, saturated colors.
J
JasonSmith
Apr 21, 2004
Well, now that I’m getting more information…

The prints are for a local museum of one of the more prominent surrealists.

Apparently this museum is hosting a birthday party for this particular artist, and they are planning on showing some 3D movies as part of the festivities. They want these prints to coincide with the movies, and the idea is participants can view these prints with the same 3D glasses that they view the movie with.

Sooooo, without really knowing what type of movie/glasses these prints have to work with I’m kind of stuck right now, but it does sound like Chromatek is out for the time being.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Apr 21, 2004
Jason there is a software out there somewhere that you can use for this that uses the traditional type 3D glasses. I seem to remember you could get the glasses free if you bought the software something like that.
A
android
Apr 21, 2004
Hey Jason…

Just in case you haven’t tried, try googling "anaglyph" and combinations of "anaglyph" with "printing", "illustrator" and "photoshop" – also the same with "polarized 3d".

I think, though, polarized is just for projected images.

This site is pretty good –

<http://www.rainbowsymphony.com>

NASA has one for anaglyph –

<http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/features/3d.cfm>

Chances are the glasses are either anaglyph (red/blue) or polarized, and there are tons of sites on production.

[edit: oh also, if you have red/blue glasses, this stuff is interesting:

<http://www.mcs.csuhayward.edu/~malek/Illusions/RedBlue/> ]

Do you have the names of the movies?

cheers
Andrew
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Apr 21, 2004
Perhaps this is better:

<http://www.stereoscopy.com/3d-info/>
J
JasonSmith
Apr 21, 2004
So far I’ve found a few shareware apps that claim to be compliant with several different types of glasses, most are around $5-10.

I find it hard to believe that I’ll get off that easy.

Thanks for the links, I’ll check those out when I get a chance. My keyboard just went out on me – this is the second apple ‘pro’ keyboard in a year that has simply stopped working.
JM
John Mayer
Aug 14, 2004
In article
wrote:

well, we are thinking about printing a job where the client wants a 3D banner – that is a banner that when you put on 3D glasses, stuff pops out at you.
with absolutely no prior knowlege in this sort of thing….I’m asking if anyone out there has done anything similar before.

Anyone with advice (other than running in the other direction =:o ) or knowlege of capable software?

Jason,

This can be easily done in Photoshop, or even without a computer at all, as I did long before I owned a computer with the cover sheet for my resume, a self-portrait. You can view it at my unfinished and unpublished website (unpublished as I’ve given up on art as a career and am back in school); the address for the image is
http://www.hiredhand.org/SmallJohn3D.jpg
I don’t know how well the colors work on the web; ironically, I’m now blind in one eye. I can tell you that you absolutely MUST use a call-color for the green; a, say, 30% screen of process color will not give a good effect.

Getting 3D in flat planes is easy; making a single object advance toward the viewer (like my arm in the drawing) is more difficult. If you want more info you may write me at <mayer[Bush]@hiredhand.com> (remove Bush).

Yours truly,

John Mayer

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections