PB
Posted By
Polk_Burleson
Oct 2, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Okay, first the specs: PSE 2.0, Windows 2000 professional ver 5.00, service pack 3.0, IBM 570E Thinkpad laptop with pentium IV, 196MB RAM, 5GB free on hard disk, virtual memory 350-500 MB, running normal MS Office apps along with Lotus Notes email, McAfee Virus Scan. Loaded PSE with no problem, failed to launch with message: "Could not initialize Photoshop Elements due to a program error." Uninstalled PE, installed in "Safe Mode with Networking", same error. Tried rebuilding preferences with Ctrl-Alt-Shift, same error. Defragged hard drive, reinstall, same error. Removed all extra programs in Startup folders, same error. Deleted Adobe Photoshop prefs file, same error. Uninstalled all adobe programs (Acrobat, Acrobat Reader, PE 2.0), installed Reader 6.0, installed PE in Safe Mode, same error. Checked for Driver conflicts, none signified. Changed display settings, same error. Only 166 fonts in Fonts folder. Removed what I thought were third party plug-ins, same error. Deleted all temp files,same error. Closed all open applications, same error.

It has almost become an obsession with me, what else can I do to get this program to run? It was purchased, not bundled, so did I just waste my money and it will not run on my system?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 2, 2003
I read through the post, and if you said you tried the install without any anti-virus software running, I missed that. McAfee isn’t one that people report problems with, but the recommendation is always to disable any anti-virus software before installing software. If you haven’t tried that combination yet, I’d suggest you do a complete uninstall of Elements, including a Find for leftover files like the Preference folder, disable your McAfee, and then see if Elements will install and run. If so, you can put your McAfee back on. If not, someone else will come along with another suggestion.

Ooops, forgot to ask – is Win 2000 Pro one of the operating systems that contains both an administrative and a user mode? If so, make sure you’re logged on as the administrator. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I’m a Mac person who isn’t familiar with many of the Windows variations.
PB
Polk_Burleson
Oct 2, 2003
Thanks for the tips, I should have mentioned that I disabled McAfee prior to an install, same error as before. Win2K pro does have Administrators and Users, I have Administrator rights, and installed with my account/username. I just can’t help but think there is still a conflict with something I have on my system.
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 3, 2003
Hmmm. That just goes to show you can’t get much help from a Mac user, huh? I’m very surprised no one else has posted, but at least I’ll bring this to the top again. By now that’s the only help I can give. I’m sorry! 🙁
LD
Lynn_D._Green
Oct 3, 2003
Do you by any chance have a Wacom tablet installed on your computer? I had old drivers for an uninstalled tablet and when I deleted those I was able to launch PSE………before that nothing I tried worked……it was definitely a software conflict……never know where they will strike……

Later I went back and installed the tablet and updated drivers and everything is just fine…….

Cheers,
Lynn
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 3, 2003
Well, doggone, if your suggestion works, Lynn, I’m gonna be really ticked at myself! I started to add that and then changed my mind. 🙂
LD
Lynn_D._Green
Oct 3, 2003
Sometimes I feel like a broken record (or like my mother) going back to the same thing over and over…….. but you never know until you ask them to check for that……..
SR
Schraven_Robert
Oct 3, 2003
Polk,

I am not reaaly good at this but have a W2K and installed elements 2.0 with out any problems. I noticed that you had a RAM of 196 MB. Is that enough? May be you need to up that a bit?

Robert
PB
Polk_Burleson
Oct 3, 2003
Thanks for the suggestions. Checked driver folder and do not have any wacom*.* files. Also did a search on wacom*.* and only came up with a text file that explained the wacom driver was not compatable with Win2K pro and would be disabled. deleted that file anyway. I think that I will go into task manager and one by one end any processes that are running in the background and see if I can make a difference that way.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections