ED
Posted By
Erica_D_Emery
Oct 2, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I make my background transparent by using the magic eraser, I still have a "white box" surrounding the graphic when I place it into another program on a colored background. How do I get this to go away? Thank you!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

ED
Erica_D_Emery
Oct 2, 2003
I just figured out the answer to my own question! After you save your graphic, a message box pops up asking if you wish to compress, yadda yadda yadda. I never paid any attention to the bottom of the box, which says "Save Transparency"…after I checked that box, my problem was gone!
DS
Dick_Smith
Oct 2, 2003
Erica,

Don’t think a thing about it. Happens to me all the time. 🙂 But it was nice that you took the time to let us all know and what you did to clear up the problem. That way everyone learns right along with you.

Dick
CH
CAROLYN_HOLDREN
Oct 3, 2003
For some reason I cannot figure out how to delete the background from my photos on Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 . I’m sure there’s a simple way to do it but I haven’t found it. I just want a solid white or other color background no print or designs. I thought the layer palette was supposed to show all layers in the photo including the background then all I would have to do is paint over the background but can’t get it to work like that. I have the book that goes with the program but still can’t make heads or tails out from it. I would really appreciate any suggestions or help regarding this! Thanks in advance for any help!
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 3, 2003
Carolyn, please tell us a little about your project, and I’m sure someone will be able to give you some direction.

As far as the layers pallet goes, you’ll only get the layers if the image you’re viewing was created using them and they were not flattened or merged at the time of the final save. If you import an image from a camera or scanner, everything will be on one layer until you add more through editing of some kind.
PD
Pete_D
Oct 3, 2003
Carolyn,

It is pretty common for someone to read about layers and open pictures and expect to see the picture automatically divided into layers. Sadly this is not how it works.

If you have a picture of a person on a beach and want to replace a sky that is not quite as attractive as you would like; first you must "select" the sky by using one of the "selection tools" and then create a new layer from that selection. Or you can "delete" the selected sky and make a new layer of solid blue color and add clouds with the cloud brush.

There are many things you can do with layers but they are all created by you. That is why Beth asked the nature of your project; so tips and directions specific to your project can be given. There are a lot of people here to offer assistance for what you are doing 🙂

Pete
CH
CAROLYN_HOLDREN
Oct 3, 2003
These are photos taken by my digital camera that I edit in Adobe Photo Deluxe then export to Photoshop Elements 2.0 to try to take the background out to replace by solid color. These are photos of objects, not people. I’ve always taken the background out before by a long drawn-out way in Photo Deluxe but was hoping to find a faster easier way.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Oct 3, 2003
Carolyn, if you use one of the selection tools (selection brush, lasso, tool, etc.) to carefully surround what you want to keep, then invert the selection (Select<Inverse), then add a Color Fill Layer (Layer<New Fill Layer<Solid Color), you should be able to achieve the desired effect. If you want more details on that method, please write back.

Chuck
CH
CAROLYN_HOLDREN
Oct 3, 2003
Chuck….Thank you very much for your help. I also tried the magic wand tool and clicked outside the object I wanted to keep and held the shift key down until I had all the background done then clicked New Fill Layer > solid color and it did great! Thanks again!
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Oct 3, 2003
Carolyn, that’s a better approach than mine – glad you found it! With the Fill layer, it has a mask attached; you can ‘paint’ on that mask with black to hide more of the background or with white to expand what shows through. So if your initial selection with the magic wand needs any touchup, you have that option so long as you keep that Fill layer intact.

Chuck

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections