Known Issues with having both Photoshop and Elements installed on same computer?

CL
Posted By
Cherie_Layton
Oct 2, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Are there any known issues involved with having both Photoshop 5.5 and Photoshop Elements installed on the same computer? I already owned Photoshop 5.5, but bought a new Windows XP computer with Elements pre-installed. I like some of the features of Elements, such as the ability to shape text, and would like to be able to use both. However, Photoshop seems to have trouble opening files created with Elements, even after they have been converted to jpeg files.

Is this a known issue? If so, is there any solution? I have just performed a maintenance hard drive wipe on my computer, and am in the process of re-installing the software. Would there be a preferred order of installation of the two programs?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JH
Jim_Hess
Oct 2, 2003
If there are such issues, I’m not aware of them. I have both Photoshop Elements 2.0 and Photoshop 6.0 installed on my computer, and I have been able to use both of them without any difficulty.
RC
Richard_Coencas
Oct 2, 2003
Cherie,

Elements 2.0 is based on the 7.0 codebase. I think you would have the same problems opening files created in 6.0 or 7.0 in PS 5.5. Make sure maximize compatibility for PSD files is checked in prefs.

Otherwise the only other problem I could think of with having them both on one system is choosing which will be the default app for file types, but that is easily fixed.

Rich
JH
Jim_Hess
Oct 2, 2003
Rich,

Could you provide a little more information about problems opening Photoshop 6.0 files in Elements 2.0 and vice versa? Is there something that should be avoided or that I should be aware of? I have been switching back and forth between the two programs, and I haven’t encountered any problems with the files.
RC
Richard_Coencas
Oct 2, 2003
Jim,

Opening images made in earlier versions is virtually never a problem. The problem is going backwards. Cherie seems to be trying to open Elements 2.0 files in PS 5.5. Going the other direction should work without a hitch (i.e. opening PS 5.5 files in Elements).

Rich
JH
Jim_Hess
Oct 2, 2003
Rich,

OK, I understand. Maybe my projects are a little too simplistic, only six or eight layers. But Photoshop 6 opens my Elements files with a problem. Anyway, I was just curious. Thanks for the response.

Jim
PB
Paul_Bullen
Oct 3, 2003
I have nothing to add to the substance of this topic, but I would like to take this opportunity to call for the restoration of the word ‘problem’ to its original status. I was at the Borders the other day, and there was a sign saying that the restrooms were not available to due to ‘plumbing issues’. Software doesn’t present issues, it presents problems. ‘Issues’ are points of dispute in a debate or dialogue, as in ‘the question at issue’, ‘joining issue’, and ‘issues of fact versus issues of law’. ‘Issue’ is a weasel-word euphemism by businesses who don’t want to verbally acknowledge the existence of problems. Let’s call a problem a problem.
–Paul (Bullen)
NS
Nancy_S
Oct 3, 2003
<clapping>
RB
Ralph_Brannon
Oct 3, 2003
My PS 6 and PS 2 did not play well together on my machine. The preference file would clobber itself almost every start up of PS 6. This was on an HP machine with XP.
Finally removed PS 6. I would like to put PS 6 on a separate partition, I think that should solve my problem. I haven’t yet because I am trying to find an answer to the HP recovery system. They use a drive D: partition (FAT 32) for the restore to original configuration.
Which I hate. Since I use Norton Ghost on my system, I will never use the recover option, so I would like to wipe out everything on the Drive: D, reformat to NTFS and put my PS 6 there. Just not sure if that is a good idea since HP has changed the OS to provide for there restore system.
Any way, I think most people have no problem with both programs on there computer.

Ralph
<http://www.darkstar.us>
EM
Eric_Matthes
Oct 3, 2003
I think I have issues with being focused on Friday afternoons.
EM
Eric_Matthes
Oct 3, 2003
Ralph,
Do you type in your homepage at the end of your messages, or does it show up automatically?
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 3, 2003
Gee, Eric, if I was the principal, I might define that as a ‘problem’ and not an ‘issue.’ But that’s why you’re "alternative", right? 🙂
EM
Eric_Matthes
Oct 4, 2003
Beth,
My principal doesn’t call it a problem because she knows I’ll share what I learn on this forum with our students. And that’s why we’re alternative! I love not being bound to textbooks! 🙂
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 4, 2003
I agree, Eric. I loved the alternative school setting. I was there for only about five years, and I would never have survived within a "real" school. And that’s what my kid told me, so I never challenged his judgment. I figured he had a lot of experience with both and could tell a poor match when he saw it. 🙂 I’m definitely alternative.
CL
Cherie_Layton
Oct 6, 2003
Rich, you stated, "Make sure maximize compatibility for PSD files is checked in prefs." I do not see this option in my Adobe Photoshop 5.5 preferences. Am I looking in the wrong location?

Cherie
RC
Richard_Coencas
Oct 7, 2003
Cherie,

That is an option in the Saving Files section of Elements prefs. The idea is to make sure that the files you save in the Newer version are compatible with the Older version. The other way around is rarely a problem.

Rich

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections