Does an MSI exist for Photoshop Elements 2.0?

H
Posted By
hbhs
Oct 2, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi all,

I’m supporting an RM Connect 3 network. The default application distribution method for this network (Windows 2000 Server/XP Pro clients) is to use MSI’s. I can happily create an MSI for Photoshop Elements 2 using WinInstall LE and the relevant RM management apps but it doesn’t work in an ideal way when users run it for the first time (takes up to 10 minutes to configure and then prompts for a reboot). I have exhausted all other lines of enquiry for this product and am turning to this forum.

If an MSI from Adobe already exists for this product, can anyone tell me where to get it from? I’d hope an Adobe created MSI would work correctly on the. If I cannot get this program working correctly using this method then I’m stuck with manually installing this app on over 100 stations! Something I’d rather not do!

Thanks for any response or suggestions,

Chris

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 2, 2003
Hmmm. Some of us (like me!) don’t know what an ‘MSI’ is. What I do know is that Elements wasn’t designed to run on a server, if that’s what you’re describing. Quite a while ago there was someone who’d mastered it, but he had to get pretty creative.

Is this of any help? I’m a Mac user who doesn’t know much about this stuff, but I noticed you weren’t getting any responses to your post, so I figured I’d at least bring it to the top again for you! 🙂
H
hbhs
Oct 3, 2003
MSI: Microsoft Installer

Its a way of packaging an application in a different way to the usual setup.exe or similar thing on other OS’s. MSI’s are self-repairing ie if when the program is run a file is corrupt or missing Windows goes back to the MSI and repairs or re-installs the file.

We don’t wish to run PSE2 from a server. All software is installed locally to the machines. Our system basically takes a snapshot of the HD, then we install the software, then take a second snapshot. The snapshots are compared to create a ‘difference’ which should house the entire application and registry entries. This ‘house’ is the MSI package which we can then easily allocate to numerous machines and it gets installed to those machines automatically: I don’t need to go round each machine and do any installation or configuration.

Many software suppliers now package their apps in MSI format as default so I don’t need to go through the process of creating my own MSI. Generally, MSI’s supplied by software companies work correctly as opposed to ones created by me (RM Connect 3 basically uses WinInstall LE so it’s nothing RM specific). I was hoping that Adobe have released an MSI somewhere for Photoshop Elements 2 as this may resolve the problems I am having with the one I have frequently tried to get working myself.

Hope this explains it?

Regards,

Chris
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 3, 2003
Thanks, Chris. OK, so I feel a little dumb that I couldn’t figure out ‘MSI’ for myself, but what can I say?! I already admitted to being a Mac person!

Below is the number for the general question line at Adobe. Maybe they could answer your question or send you off to someone who can.

1-800-833-6687

And there’s the chance one of the Adobe people will stop by the forum today, too.
H
hbhs
Oct 6, 2003
Can anyone help with this query? I’m still struggling to get an MSI to work correctly.

Thanks

Chris
VB
Vicky Bilaniuk
Oct 6, 2003
This is rather technical and I would bet that no one here knows, if they haven’t answered by now. I would contact the company itself and see if they would be willing to give you some details so that you can get your code to work.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections