Unable to Save Gif. at 1000 Bytes- It jumps to 5k when I do???

EV
Posted By
Enrique_Villa
Apr 21, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Thanks for Poppin in!

Here is a very puzzling dilemma:

I am unable to save a Gif. image anywhere around a 1000 bytes. I’ll design it as a PSD, save it for web via the "Save for Web" function, or jump over to ImageReady, to optimize at 1000 bytes (or less) and SAVE. But when I reopen it in PhotoShop or anywhere else it’s 5k. I don’t get it? Am I missing something here?

Espotting (a PPC company) requires I submit my logo at 90 x 53 pixels, and no more than 1000 bytes. Everytime they get my logo (gif.) it’s 5k. They then, resize it and strech it (i presume) and it looks awful alongside my ads.

Please help!

Truly,

Enrique

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

GB
g_ballard
Apr 21, 2004
How big is it sitting on the HD?

Sounds like PPC is hosing your file…
EV
Enrique_Villa
Apr 21, 2004
When I re-open the image in Photoshop it opens at 5k. However, when I "get info" through the Finder option (Mac OS) it shows its size at 4kb on disk (and 983 Bytes- which is exactly what I opted it at). Furthermore, I just dropped it in an email to myself as an attachment and it dropped in at 983 bytes }{ It was delivered at 1.3kb and when I saved it (to my desktop) and re opened it in Photoshop it, again, jumped to 5k.

Smells fishy to me! And you?

Thanks for your brain power.
P
PeterK.
Apr 21, 2004
if they require a 90×53 pixel image and you give them one, why would they be resizing and stretching it? It’s already the correct dimensions. As for the file size, this may have something to do with the sector size on the hard drive. The smallest size that the sectors on the drive are divided into may be 5kb, so your file really is 983 bytes, the drive just considers that the full 5kb of the sector is used, since you can’t put two files into the same sector.
analogy: imagine you’ve got a driver’s seat in a car. You can have a 100 pound person sitting in it or a 200 pound person, but they are still considered to be using up the full seat, no matter how much of it they use. You can’t fit two drivers in there, but even if the seat can hold up to 200 pounds, the smaller driver really is only 100 pounds.
If your e-mailed attachment comes in at the proper size, you could assume that PPC is receiving it the same way, so they must be screwing it up on their end.
NP
Navarro_Parker
Apr 21, 2004
4Kb is the mininum file size with HFS+ on the Mac side (even if the file is only 983 bytes like as yours is). You can adjust this with third party utilities, but I wouldn’t. HFS+ is somewhat the equivalent of Window’s FAT32. Before HFS+, the minimum file size could be as large as 1MB+ on a huge multi-gig drive. Trust what Save for Web and Get Info is telling you. The real file size is in parenthesis in the Get Info window.
GB
g_ballard
Apr 21, 2004
never given gif much thought but it is probably similar to jpeg

a jpeg sits on the hd much smaller than it opens (opening the file uncompresses it)

if the pixel dimensions and kb size on the hd are correct then your file is correct

Trust what Save for Web and Get Info is telling you. The real file size
is in parenthesis in the Get Info window.
EV
Enrique_Villa
Apr 21, 2004
Thanks PeterK.

Resizing: I believe they are resizing it because they are receiving it at 5k, and adjusting the file size to 1000 bytes, which is making the actual image smaller then 90×53 pixels, right? Once they get it to under 1000 bytes they then stretch it to 90×53 pixels, in order to fill the box space- otherwise it’s really, really small. This procedure is warping the appearance of my very tiny, little, dinky and detailed logo.

The email attachment I sent myself came in at 1.3kb- larger then the optimized size. Why?

This small, dumb gif. is driving me up the wall! Thanks for your brain power!

{e}
P
PeterK.
Apr 21, 2004
if the file you send to yourself shows that the attachment is only 983 bytes, then that’s what it is. The extra bytes making it a total of 1.3 kb is only the extra stuff like the headers, from and to addresses, subject line, any text you add to the message, etc. Next time you send an image to them, add your own e-mail address to the list as well. If the attachment looks fine when you receive it but they are showing you something else, they are screwing it up and you should send them a complaint.
J
jonf
Apr 21, 2004
Who is "they"?

So you’re saying that on their system the file is still 5k, but they are able to reduce it to show up on their hard drive as 1K? That doesn’t sound like a sector problem, if that’s the case. But I have some doubts that they’re really this dumb.

Are you saving the files with previews and icons? Don’t. They increase file size a miniscule amount, so may make the difference between 5K and 1K.
RW
Rene_Walling
Apr 21, 2004
Resizing: I believe they are resizing it because they are receiving it at 5k, and adjusting the file size to 1000 bytes, which is making the actual image smaller then 90×53 pixels, right? Once they get it to under 1000 bytes they then stretch it to 90×53 pixels, in order to fill the box space- otherwise it’s really, really small. This procedure is warping the appearance of my very tiny, little, dinky and detailed logo.

Who is "they"?

"they" is people who don’t realize that GIF files are compressed and so think that the filesize is the size of the opened (and uncompressed) file.

And once they strech things back up, they are to stupid to realize that the size went up with it.

Enrique, the problem is not with PS or the GIF file, it’s with "they".

PEBKAR
J
jonf
Apr 21, 2004
Stupid yes. But the file size may not have gone up if they just use html to display the image at 90×53 pixels. I’m just finding it difficult to believe that Web professionals can demonstrate this total lack of brainpower, or if so, that Enrique is the only one who has run into this problem with them.
R
Ram
Apr 22, 2004
Rene,

PEBKAR

A variation of PEBKAC, I assume. What does the R stand for?
RW
Rene_Walling
Apr 22, 2004
It stand for my finger not typing what I want.

In other words: Oops, that shuld have been PEBKAC
EV
Enrique_Villa
Apr 23, 2004
I am going to resubmit my logo image to them again later today, as well as have a little chat with one of Espottings technical persons.

All of the interesting points brought to the table regarding this topic will allow me to dig a little deeper and hopefully get to the bottom of this!

Thanks again,

{e}

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections