Posted By
Brett_Watson
Oct 1, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello-

Yesterday I set up my new Canon scanner. One of the programs I installed was OmniPage which is the OCR software. However, that program has not yet been used. The only thing I have done so far is scan photos, and I did that through Elements 2.0.

Now, however, all of my JPG images say that they are "Omnipage Image Documents." Although they still "open" with Elements, they are listed as Omnipage documents.

I can’t remember whether or not they used to be listed as "JPG Files" or "Elements Files," but they clearly were not "Omnipage" files.

Does anyone know why this happened and/or how I can change it back? More importantly, I suppose, is whether or not this makes any difference at all. If the files still open with Elements, maybe the associated "file type" doesn’t matter. I don’t know. Your input will be appreciated.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 2, 2003
I don’t have Jaguar open right now, but do a Get Info on one of the images. I think this is where you now change the file association in OS X. I’ve never heard of OmniPage latching on to image files, but… !

And I’d also like to know if OmniPage will really run in OS X. I was told it didn’t, but I have my Canon scanner hooked to another computer so haven’t checked this out for myself.
BW
Brett_Watson
Oct 2, 2003
Sorry Beth, I should have specified that I’m using Windows XP, not a Mac. Any ideas?
NS
Nancy_S
Oct 2, 2003
Brett,

If you are using XP Pro, log in using the administrator account or one with admin. priviledges.

To associate a file name extension with a file type
Open Folder Options in Control Panel.
Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
Double-click Folder Options.
On the File Types tab, click New.
Type a new or existing file name extension, and then click Advanced. In Associated File Type,
Type or select New to create a file type to associate with the file name extension. -or-

Type or select a different file type to associate with the extension. Notes

When you type a file extension in the Create New Extension dialog box, the Associated File Type list displays the file type that is associated with that extension. To select New, scroll to the top of the list.
To change the program that opens a file, on the File Types tab, under Registered file types, click the file type, and then click Change.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections