DD
Posted By
Dean_Dunlop
Apr 21, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Here is my problem. When I double click on a Tiff file, Photoshop launches but the file does not open into Photoshop. The same is true when I say edit original in InDesign the same thing happens.

Any help would be great

DD

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

RW
Rene_Walling
Apr 21, 2004
R
Ram
Apr 21, 2004
From the FAQs:

Scott Weichert "Double clicking/drag and drop Photoshop files opens application but not file." 2/10/04 10:05am </cgi-bin/webx?50>
B
Buko
Apr 21, 2004
Hmmmmmmm……didn’t read the FAQS first
IS
Istvan_Sass
Apr 21, 2004
OK, first I reinstalled Photoshop CS, it still did not work. Then I reinstalled the whole Creative Suit, still no results. There is just not such a file on my computer named ‘Adobe Unit Types’. Actually there wasn’t even a ‘Scripting additions’ folder in my Library folder. Finding this I created one, then uninstalled CS, then reinstalled it — Photoshop still does not open files the way it should.

Any ideas?
IS
Istvan_Sass
Apr 21, 2004
Forgot to mention that I uninstalled PS and CS before installing…
GP
Graham_Phillips
Apr 21, 2004
Try a new user account.
IS
Istvan_Sass
Apr 21, 2004
So I should create a new user account before installing CS? I’ll do it right away…

Thanks for the fast reply 🙂
IS
Istvan_Sass
Apr 21, 2004
Nope, it does not work. I am afraid, I will have to reinstall MacOS X. It is brand new, though, nothing much has happened to it except for customizing and adding Creative Suit plus Freehand MX.

It’s pretty annoying :-/
MO
Magma_Ontwerpers
Apr 22, 2004
Opening Photoshop CS Files.

Dean Dunlop – 07:10pm Apr 20, 2004 Pacific

Here is my problem. When I double click on a Tiff file, Photoshop launches but the file >does not open into Photoshop. The same is true when I say edit original in InDesign the >same thing happens. ———————

I have exactly the same problem! I’m working on a brand new 1.6 GHz G5, Mac OS X v10.3.3 and one of the first applications I installed was Adobe CS. At first it worked just fine, but within a week I had the problem that some applications did not start up right. Like they started up but then ‘dissapeared’ in the background, not possible to use them. Apple technical support told me to ad a new user and throw away the other user. When that didn’t help, Apple advised to re install Mac OS X (while keeping user settings and applications). That solved the problem, but now I only have this problem with Photoshop CS. I cannot open Photoshop files by double clicking in the finder. The application does start up, but doesn’t open the file.
Please help me Adobe!

thanx
Paul Monfils
IS
Istvan_Sass
Apr 22, 2004
As far as I could gather, you have to reinstall Photoshop now, that you had already installed your new OS…

Pain in the OS 🙂
IS
Istvan_Sass
Apr 22, 2004
PAul,

Could you check that after the system reinstall there is a folder called: <Panther volume>\Library\Scripting Additions\

I don’t even have this folder. Photoshop install won’t create one, if I do so, that won’t help…
MO
Magma_Ontwerpers
Apr 22, 2004
Yes I do have that Scripting Additions folder. Though nothing in it which seems to do something with Photoshop. More like something which is from XPress: "QXPScriptingAdditions.osax"

Why?

Is installing Photoshop really the solution to the problem you think?
IS
Istvan_Sass
Apr 22, 2004
They said so. It’s at the FAQ:

Double clicking/drag and drop Photoshop files opens application but not file.

Scott Weichert – 01:45pm Dec 29, 2003 Pacific

This is most commonly due to installing Photoshop CS before doing an archive and install of Mac OS10.3.

The easiest solution is to reinstall Photoshop CS after you have installed Mac OS10.3.

—————————
Another solution courtesy Anne Shelbourne

Open your Previous System folder.
Find "Adobe Unit Types".
Copy it into: <Panther volume>\Library\Scripting Additions\
MO
Magma_Ontwerpers
Apr 22, 2004
YES!

Thanks!

Putting back "Adobe Unit Types" solved my problem.
IS
Istvan_Sass
Apr 22, 2004
OK then 🙂

Could you please send that file to me in an e-mail? I am still hesitating to reinstall OSX…
MO
Magma_Ontwerpers
Apr 22, 2004
and your email address is?
B
Buko
Apr 22, 2004
I am still hesitating to reinstall OSX…

reinstalling OSX is the cluprit not the fix.

reinstalling Photoshop is the fix.

If you have a bad system install then reinstalling the system is the only way to fix it.
IS
Istvan_Sass
Apr 22, 2004
Magma Ontwerpers:
That is sass.istvan /at/ chello.hu

Thanks in advance…
IS
Istvan_Sass
Apr 22, 2004
The system is fine otherwise, it seems to work just fine. Except for that I don’t have this ‘Scripting Additions" folder, nor does Photoshop create it when I install it…

I’ll try to place this file where it belongs to, if it does not work, I will reinstall OSX. I think it’s worth a try. I am pretty overloaded at the moment, the last thing I wish getting involved in is a system reinstall and customizing…
L
Larryr544
Apr 22, 2004
I have this same problem also! I’ll try reinstalling PS CS!
IS
Istvan_Sass
Apr 22, 2004
Well, I received the file, copied to where it belongs, it still does not work.

I go and reinstall the system. Doh!
MO
Magma_Ontwerpers
Apr 22, 2004
Did you create a folder named: "ScriptingAdditions"? And put the file in that folder? and did you restart the mac?
IS
Istvan_Sass
Apr 22, 2004
Well, I bit the bullet and reinstalled MacOS X. Then downloaded the whole 100+ megs update for the OS. Then reinstalled the whole Creative Suit.
Now there is just NO folder existing named "Scripting Additions". If I create one and put the related file in it, PS still does not work properly.

Do I really have to make a clean install to solve this problem? That would be a major problem, I simply don’t have the time to archive all the stuff on my HD, then spend a day or two installing and customizing the whole system. The computer is just a few days old, with barely any modifications to the System. It is a G4/1,25 and Creative Suit, CE version.

I’m getting fed up with this…
IS
Istvan_Sass
Apr 22, 2004
Should this "Scripting Additions" folder be created by the system or by Photoshop when installing it?
R
Ram
Apr 22, 2004
Istvan,

Just where are you looking for the Scripting Additions folder?

Open your HD icon and do a Find on Scripting Additions. (Upper right-hand corner of the window, where you should see a magnifying glass icon and a rounded box that says "Local Disks" )
R
Ram
Apr 22, 2004
You’ll find it right after "Screen Savers" and "Scripts".
IS
Istvan_Sass
Apr 22, 2004
LOL, please give me some credit, I CAN find a file on a Mac, if it is there. I’ve been using Apple computers for some 12 years or so…
🙂
It is not there. I did several searches, separately for "Scripting" and also for "Additions", I double checked spelling, did a search in OS 9, also for invisible files. There is only one folder, similarly named, in the OS 9.2 System.

Anyway, I gave up, I’m doing a clean install tomorrow. The system is most probably messed up.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate.

Istvan
R
Ram
Apr 22, 2004
Istvan,

When I performed the search on Scripting additions, I got as many as six (6) hits. Even the straight Mac OS 9 and the Classic installations have one.

I’ve been using Macs for over twenty years now, and sometimes I can occasionally overlook something when doing something I’ve been doing correctly forever. No offense meant.

I just find it unfathomable that after all the re-installing you have done, you still can’t find that file.
B
Buko
Apr 22, 2004
After reinstalling the OS you need to reinstall Photoshop.

I know it works because I just had to reinstall Panther (using archive and install method) I then reinstalled photoshop. everything works as it should.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections