Posted By
Don_Stouder
Sep 30, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,

I am running PSE 2 and Windows XP Pro. On some machines at two different schools (36 PCs at one and 20 at the second) nothing happens when Save For Web Command is exercised. No dialog box with two up etc appears. The PC does not lock up and operates normally.

This does not happen on all PCs and may not happen 100% of the time. Turning off the PC and restarting does not correct the problem. I have never seen this problem on my home PCs running Win XP Pro and Home editions , which are networked.

At one of the schools, there is a dual boot capability with Win 98. PSE 2 works swell, even on PCs that are experiencing the problem with Win XP.

Has anyone experienced this problem? How did you solve it?

TIA

Don S.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

CS
Chuck_Snyder
Sep 30, 2003
Don, how much RAM on the suspect computers, and how much RAM is dedicated to Elements in the preferences? I had some experiences with Save for Web not working when my desktop was at 192 MB of RAM – at 512 MB, the problems have for the most part disappeared unless I’m working with a huge (pixel dimension) image. My understanding is that XP needs more RAM for its own use than Win 98…

Chuck
DS
Don_Stouder
Oct 3, 2003
Hi Chuck,

At one of the schools, the PCs have 1 Gb of RAM, and that is the school that had the most problems. Since the posting, the person responsible for the lab has told me that it appears to be linked somehow to the logon privelages.

Logging on as a student, the problem exists. Logging on as advanced or some other account that has more privelges, there is no problem. However, as I said now message appears, so it may by how XP allocates resources or memory or whatever.

But, I’m not sure that this is the cause, however. If it is, then there I would think a low resources error would be displayed. I am surprised that more people have not run into this.

Thanks for the reply.
RC
Ron_Craig
Oct 20, 2003
Changing my students from ‘User’ to ‘Power User’ allowed them full access to Save For Web.

Ron Craig

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections