Posted By
Bigelow, Bert
Sep 30, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Bob,
You shut down the thread I started on printer resolution while there was still a lot of discussion going on…in fact other threads have started to try to continue the dialogue. Why did you do that? There was no nastiness going on. The discussion was still continuing on topic. What was your reason for shutting it down?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

SV
Steve_Vesperman
Sep 30, 2003
So it was a pre-emptive strike, it was going along fine and he thought it might get ugly (too nice in there) so he pulled the pin, the mark of a true dictator.
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 30, 2003
Sad. That’s all I can say, very sad. I don’t understand how he can decide "we’re done". Are we in school and the bell has rung? Teacher says "enough"? Or was it more that Bill didn’t understand what the topic was about so he couldn’t see the relevance?

Well, let that be a lesson. Expect your ideas for a meaningful exchange to be squelched here.

Unbelievable.
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Sep 30, 2003
Tony,
Check out the thread I started in the Lounge on this subject. I know this is the reason you left the Photoshop forum. We haven’t had the heavy-handed control here that some hosts in that forum employed. If this is the new "regime" here, I may be leaving this one for the same reason.

Steve,
LOL…preemptive strikes seem to be in vogue these days. Bert
BH
Beth_Haney
Sep 30, 2003
Bob’s explanation for shutting down that thread wasn’t detailed, but I think Richard addressed it well – and from a much different perspective than ours – when he commented somewhere else about the length of the original one being an issue.

I’ve objected in the past to threads being terminated unfairly, and I would again, but the closing of the one in question seemed more an issue of practicality. Or at least that’s how I viewed it. Unfortunately, it had wandered off course for a while like so many of these do.
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 30, 2003
In the main photoshop forum, if a topic drifts too far off, the forum host inserts a gentle reminder that we had better stay on topic or bring it to the lounge. Lynch’s last post was on topic.

If you want to shut a thread down, then shut down the Resolution one in which there was ascerbic attacks being thrown.

Doesn’t make sense to me – or is it a Frank Lloyd Wright thing? Form follows function.
RR
Raymond Robillard
Sep 30, 2003
The thread entitled : "New Worm Poses As Security Patch" has now 121 messages. And it hasn’t been shut down (yet…) And it’s not as closely related to Elements as other threads, such as Printer Resolution.

Ray
JH
Jim_Hess
Sep 30, 2003
Yes, but if I remember correctly that whole discussion started to drift away from talking about printer resolution. It was a friendly discussion, yes. But if that is the thread I’m thinking of, it seemed to turn into a friendly chit-chat session between a few people, and printer resolution wasn’t even being discussed. If you want to keep a thread open, keep the discussion on-topic.
RC
Richard_Coencas
Sep 30, 2003
Gang,

I’m certain that there was no ill will intended and that if a new thread was started on printer resolution no one would object. It was a very long thread that had drifted into chit chat quite a bit, though occasionally had gotten back on target.

Remember, Bob volunteers his time and is not an Adobe employee. He does his best to be fair and try to keep it on target. YrbkMgr’s suggestion that Bob make a gentle reminder to get back on topic is a good solution, however I don’t see any problem with also saying "this thread is too immense and off topic, so if you want to continue it start a new thread."

Let me reiterate, whether or not you agree with Bob’s method, it is his method to get things back on track, and I am certain it is meant well and no censorship is intended or implied.

Sorry for the rant,

Rich
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Sep 30, 2003
Rich,
Up to now, Bob has not been this heavy-handed. It is true that the thread had drifted off-topic a few times, but there were interspersed on-thread posts. The last two posts by Richard Lynch were among the best and most informative in the entire thread. Earlier, there were several times when Bob would have been justified in at least issuing a warning, but he shut it down right when things were getting interesting again.
As far as the length of a thread being justification for shutting it down…why? And if that is a criterion, it certainly is not enforced consistently.
Bert
RC
Richard_Coencas
Sep 30, 2003
Bert,

I don’t want to get in a debate on this. I just felt you guys were being a bit tough on Bob.

Rich
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Sep 30, 2003
I just felt you guys were being a bit tough on Bob

Rich,
Sigh. You’re right. Being a forum host is a pretty thankless job. In retrospect, I wish I hadn’t started this thread. If Bob ever decides to participate, I’ll apologize to him, even though I think his actions in this case were unjustified.
Most of the time, I’m a mild-mannered old retired engineer, but between 5 and 6 in the afternoon, I often have a couple glasses of wine, and then my "Mr. Hyde" persona appears…and my posts become a bit more "exuberant." I’ll try to restrain my exuberance in the future.
Bert
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Sep 30, 2003
Bert, I can relate – let’s hear it for Happy Hour!
🙂
Chuck (old retired engineer also….)
RC
Richard_Coencas
Sep 30, 2003
Bert,

I’d gladly join you for cocktail hour.

🙂
BH
Beth_Haney
Sep 30, 2003
This has already drifted off again, so "Demon rum strikes again!" 🙂

(Can I come even if I don’t drink?)
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Sep 30, 2003
Beth,
I see you started a continuation of the "Printer Resolution" thread, and there have already been some good posts. It’s clear the topic is not yet exhausted. Printers, and how they work with Photoshop, seems to be a common issue/problem that most users have questions about. Resolution, color management, paper choice, printer maintenance, etc.
It’s a huge topic with lots of different opinions. Let’s keep it going. I’m learning a lot! Bert
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Sep 30, 2003
It’s clear the topic is not yet exhausted. Printers, and how they work with Photoshop, seems to be a common issue/problem that most users have questions about. Resolution, color management, paper choice, printer maintenance, etc. It’s a huge topic with lots of different opinions. Let’s keep it going. I’m learning a lot!

Amen to that Bert! Oh and I work until 10:00pm tonight so I’ll have to pass on cocktail hour. Dang!

Joe

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections