TB
Posted By
Todd, Bill
Sep 30, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am very new to working with digital images and I am not sure what information is important so let me start with a quick description of my environment. I am using PSE 1.0, a Dell Insprion 8000 notebook with the built in LCD screen and a Canon i950 ink jet printer to print digital photographs. The images are 2200 x 1700 produced by an Olympus C-750.

I am attempting to print an image of the Grand Canyon on Kodak matte photo paper. The image on the screen has rich saturated colors. The print is washed out, almost pastel.

I have read the section in the manual about using the Adobe Gamma utility to calibrate a monitor but that does not appear to apply to LCD’s.

I have also read the section on Using Color Management When Printing (page 264-266 but I do not understand it. If I enable Color Management in the Print Preview dialog I cannot find anything in the Print Space Profile drop-down that appears to relate to my printer (with the possible exception of BJ Color Printer Profile 2000).

I’m lost. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Bill

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

MR
Mark_Reibman
Sep 30, 2003
I’m no expert on the subject but I would start by using a Premium Canon paper and eliminate the paper issue. If nothing changes than we can start looking at other possibilities.

Also, do you know what is the resolution of the print? ppi? (Check under Image>Resize>Image size)
BT
Bill Todd
Sep 30, 2003
I made a 4 x 6 print on Canon Photo Paper Pro Glossy and it has the same problem. The resolution for an 8 x 10 print is over 200 ppi in both dimensions.
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 1, 2003
Bill, here are links to a couple of excellent sites that address issues of color management. The first one is a link directly to that subject on Norm’s site. The second one has all kinds of good stuff, including some information on monitor calibration. It is true, though, that you’ll have a more difficult time adjusting an LCD correctly. I think a number of our forum regulars do it through experimentation, but there are also monitor calibration devices that work very well on LCDs. There was a discussion about one of them a week or so ago on the forum, but I forgot to look for the thread. Something about SpyderWare is coming to mind, but I’ll probably laugh along with everybody else when I find out how far off I am on the name!

Try looking over the information on these two and see if anything helps:

<http://www.normankoren.com/color_management.html>

<http://www.computer-darkroom.com/home.htm>
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 1, 2003
Hi, Beth. You’re right about the Spyder, but you should warn Bill that it’s going to cost several hundred dollars to get into calibration hardware. Blue Eye is another; there are several out there, but the cost mostly makes them feasible options only for prepress and heavy duty pro use.
BT
Bill Todd
Oct 1, 2003
Thanks very much. Both of those sites look very useful.
JC
John_Calloway
Oct 2, 2003
Bill:
I’m no expert, either, but, to this non-expert’s eyes, your set-up seems fine to me. Before you do anything else, play around with the Canon print dialogs. I have the i850 (and love it, by the way). I like to scan negs on my Epson Perfection 2400, then, print them out on 4 x 6 Photo Paper Plus Glossy. If I accept all the default settings, my prints are, I guess acceptable, but I notice a bit of what I would describe as wash out. If you drop down the File menu and select Print Preview in Elements, then, hit the Page Setup button, you’ll arrive at the Canon print dialog box. Clicking Properties takes you to the main ‘print control’ dialog box. I set the print quality to high, then, click on the Effects tab. I check the boxes that turn on Image Optimizer, Photo Optimizer PRO, and ‘Apply throughout page."

I have not even a clue what any of these settings actually does in the process, but, from trial and error, I know that clicking as I’ve described will give your pics that extra punch, contrast, clarity, what-have-you, and that might solve your problem . . . made me a happy camper.

Good luck.

Let us know how you make out. BTW, if memory serves me correctly, the only differences between your i950 and my i850 involves camera interfaces (I think my i850 has none), and some other minor interface features. Otherwise, they are the same printer.

I’ve always been an Epson fan, purchased the C82 (I think that’s the right model number) because of the new and better Epson inks. Wasn’t at all happy with the tonal accuracy of my photos, and took it back to exchange for my i850. Asside from better looking output, this little guy is quite speedy in outputting color prints – way faster than the Epson was.

Good luck with your problem.

Caruso
SC
Stephen_C._Smith
Oct 2, 2003
I believe the i950 is a 6 color photo printer whereas the i850 is a 4 color "photo" printer. I have the i850. The i950 is at Sam’s for $249, as I recall.

Steve

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections