AS
Posted By
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 19, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
There is an interesting piece on MacFixit today — although they don’t make it clear which version of Photoshop is implicated:
<<<<<<< Last week we reported that in some instances, Mac OS X volumes will display a significantly lower remaining disk capacity than expected based on installed applications and residing files. Sometimes the dramatic loss of space can happen suddenly – after a Mac OS X update or application installation – or gradually over time. We’ve now identified some additional culprits behind large, extraneous file creation:

Photoshop scratch files:
Steve Talley writes "I actually just had this happen on a user’s machine. He had a 40GB main partition, which should have had at least 20GB of free space left. Suddenly, an error message popped up stating that he had 0 megabytes of space available.

"In this case, Photoshop had not cleaned up its temporary, invisible scratch files. Photoshop was set to use the 40GB startup partition as its first scratch disk. It left behind two very files, one of which was 16GB, and the other was 5GB.

"I found them by doing a Find in the Finder, selecting Specific Places, and placing a check next to his main partition.

"In the lower portion of the window where you can add search criteria. I selected Visibility, and then Invisible items. I also clicked the plus icon to add another search field, and specified that the items found must be larger than 5000K.

"This resulted in very few search results, making it easy to single out the files that should not be there. The scratch files had the same name as the Photoshop files he had been working with."

Something for which to watch out.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 19, 2004
I have just checked my HDs and found no unwanted interloping files there — so it could be that the "Disappearing Disk Space" problem is an unusual occurrence.
P
progress
Apr 19, 2004
this used to be a problem on os9 and 7 i believe…forget what caused it, but it got fixed.

doing a search for temp and tmp files after a crash happy session is always worth it. Luckily PS hasnt crashed on me yet…(thats blown it)
CC
Chris_Cox
Apr 19, 2004
Either they hadn’t restarted the system or relaunched Photoshop, or they have an older version of OS X that failed to clean out the files like it was supposed to. (which is why Photoshop will clean them out the next time it launches)
RL
Ronald_Lanham
Apr 20, 2004
Progress

It was version PS6.

I started a thread on the MacFixIt forums (Nov. 2000) that turned out to be huge (i.e. no anomaly). Fortunately Adobe fixed it quickly. Hopefully this isn’t deja vu. If so… no doubt as before… Adobe will fix it quickly. We can’t go having our scratch disks disappear.
BH
Bill_Hite
Apr 22, 2004
Yesterday I installed the Photoshop CS upgrade on my PC running Windows XP Professional. Then I noticed that about 12.7 GB had disappeared from my 37 GB hard disk. After looking for a while in the wrong places for an explanation (Gateway technical assistance advised me that the only solution would be to reformat my hard disk and reinstall everything) I saw this posting in the user forum. I did a search for all recently created large files and sure enough, under C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\ was a file called "Photoshop Temp60353" of a size just over 12.5 GB. I deleted it and some other temp files in the same location and recovered all of my lost space. I ran Photoshop CS again and at least for that one trial, the (large but not as large) temporary file it created disappeared when I exited the program. (Previously, just running Photoshop again and exiting was not sufficient to clean out these files.) Adobe, please fix this, and/or at least provide some explanation in your help files!
CC
Chris_Cox
Apr 23, 2004
Ronald – since Photoshop and the OS clean up that data, I suspect the report is in error, or against a much older version of Photoshop.

Bill – on both platforms, those files are deleted the next time you launch Photoshop. Yes, the files are normally deleted when you exit. But they can linger if Photoshop crashes and you don’t relaunch Photoshop. On the Macintosh, the OS will also clean up the files when it reboots.

BTW – you’re in the Macintosh forum, not the Windows forum.
MO
Michael_Olenick
Apr 23, 2004
I am having the same problem, only rebooting and relaunching Photoshop does not solve the probledm. I did a "Find" as suggested in the first post with no luck. My hard drive still says it has 95 GB available. It seems as if I can preform most tasks in Photoshop, I cannot crop an image though with out receiveing a "Scratch Disk Full" warning.
CC
Chris_Cox
Apr 23, 2004
Michael – if the drive says it has 95Gig available, then that is NOT the same problem at all.

Scratch disk full usually means just that — the scratch size has gotten too large. That can mean that your images are larger than the disk space available, or that you are keeping too many history steps, or you have too many images open at once.
MO
Michael_Olenick
Apr 23, 2004
I only have one image open. The first step I try is cropping, so the history is minimal. The image is only 5 MB. Still the same problem.
CC
Chris_Cox
Apr 23, 2004
I’ll bet your crop settings are set to resample the image to something huge….

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections