Z
Posted By
ZZ
Jan 24, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have some jpegs, that unfortunately, are only at 72 pixels resolution. I would like to improve them, and remove some of the "artifacts" (squiggly lines) that I see in some places in the jpeg.

I know if I just do an increase in resolution or size straight out, they become a bit blurry and the artifacts become more evident.

Are there any filters or plugins that can help with this sort of issue?

Thanks!

Tom

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

JJ
John J
Jan 24, 2009
ZZ wrote:
I have some jpegs, that unfortunately, are only at 72 pixels resolution. I would like to improve them, and remove some of the "artifacts" (squiggly lines) that I see in some places in the jpeg.
I know if I just do an increase in resolution or size straight out, they become a bit blurry and the artifacts become more evident.

Not likely unless the viewer’s expectations are low.
G
Greg
Jan 24, 2009
ZZ wrote:

Thanks!

Tom
It depends on how big the image is in pixels, and how big you want to print it. Tell us the pixel dimensions and how big you want the print, and we can give you a better idea of your chances.

Colin D.
V
Voivod
Jan 24, 2009
On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 01:55:43 GMT, ZZ scribbled:

There are no plugins or filters designed to shine shit. If you want to fix up the pictures go google "photo restoration photoshop" and learn something.
D
Dave
Jan 24, 2009
On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 00:34:26 -0500, Voivod wrote:

There are no plugins or filters designed to shine shit. If you want to fix up the pictures go google "photo restoration photoshop" and learn something.

OP’s name – ZZ (hope his full name is not zzzzzzzzzz:-)
Z
ZZ
Jan 24, 2009
On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 17:33:24 +1300, "Colin.D" wrote:

ZZ wrote:
It depends on how big the image is in pixels, and how big you want to print it. Tell us the pixel dimensions and how big you want the print, and we can give you a better idea of your chances.

Colin D.

Well, they are 300w x 400l – I would like to increase the width to 400w.

I did find this plugin:

http://www.topazlabs.com/topazlabs/03products/topaz_vivacity /

As for the suggestion I learn about restoration – I already can do some restoration pretty well. However, being more "intermediate" in Photoshop skills, I have a good number of these jpegs and was hoping to pick the minds of people perhaps with more experience than me.

Thanks,

Tom
JJ
John J
Jan 24, 2009
ZZ wrote:

ZZ wrote:

Colin D.

I did find this plugin:

Try it, Tom. It’s the only way to find if it works for you. If you are doing it for a client, then they will tell you.

As for the suggestion I learn about restoration – I already can do some restoration pretty well. However, being more "intermediate" in Photoshop skills, I have a good number of these jpegs and was hoping to pick the minds of people perhaps with more experience than me.

No problem!

I had to retouch a JPEG and it was agonizing. I ended up redrawing the whole darned thing. That was a terrible mistake because the client wanted me to do another, then another. I had to finally decline – see, it was for work and I’ve better things to do.
D
Dave
Jan 24, 2009
On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 15:29:47 GMT, ZZ wrote:

ZZ wrote:

Colin D.

I did find this plugin:

Thanks,

Tom

Tom, (please bear with my English:-) it is important to remember that no plug-in can ever do what not can be done manually. Another try- anything any plug-in can do, can be done manually. And manually will always be better because of working on your own photo’s details which the plug-in can not see.

Begin experimenting with the Blurs. ‘Smart Blur’ ‘Surface Blur’ etc. When making use of blur, do it very moderate.
Thereafter Ctrl/M and better the contrast
which after you do the sharpening.

Believe me, when using plug-ins, you will never really learn the program. If you still insist on using plug-ins, you should really consider Mike Russell’s product at http://www.curvemeister.com Visit the page and have a look at it.

Dave
G
Greg
Jan 24, 2009
ZZ wrote:

ZZ wrote:

Colin D.

Aaahh, that’s small. If there are already artifacts showing, I’m afraid the image is unable to be improved to the extent you would like. Uprezzing to 600×8000 (2:1) will improve the pixelation but will do nothing for either detail or artifacts. Unless it is impossible, your work would be better rewarded by retaking rescanning the image. Otherwise, you’re stuck.

There is no known way, plugin, software algorithm, or manual magic, that can invent new detail in an image.

Colin D.
G
Greg
Jan 25, 2009
Colin.D wrote:
ZZ wrote:

ZZ wrote:
Colin D.

Aaahh, that’s small. If there are already artifacts showing, I’m afraid the image is unable to be improved to the extent you would like. Uprezzing to 600×8000 (2:1) will improve the pixelation but will do nothing for either detail or artifacts. Unless it is impossible, your work would be better rewarded by retaking rescanning the image. Otherwise, you’re stuck.

There is no known way, plugin, software algorithm, or manual magic, that can invent new detail in an image.

Colin D.

!! typo = should be 600×800

Colin D.
W
walton
Jan 26, 2009
Without seeing the images, it is difficult to respond intelligently.

I have had remarkable results with Neat Image removing noise, and, if memory serves me, with Power Retouche, although I haven’t use this for a few years.

Specifically there are two problems, one is to blur, and the other is to put back sharpness where you want it. If you just run the two filters, it is possible to end up where you started.

If the images are worth the trouble: I would do two things (first, of course, give yourself something to work with by enlarging and bumping up the resolution):
1) I run an action that I made that uses Gaussian blur, unsharp mask (hireloam), high pass, blurring high pass, curves and masks.
2) I do lots of hand work to correct what still needs it.

Email me at and I will send you the action.

Walton

http://www.12on14.com

Posted Via Newsfeeds.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Service ———————————————————- http://www.Newsfeeds.com
J
Joel
Jan 27, 2009
Well, I agree it is difficult to respond intelligently without the image. But you forget it’s also difficult to respond intelligently without some quote of the *original* message.

And I also agree with you *if* the photo requires too much wishful then it may not worth to spend time on it (unless for practicing). Yes, most images may be able to improve at some degree, but if it’s worth the trouble or not is an other question.

Does it require lot of work? in general NO if you have mastered few basic commands of Photoshop and know the limitation.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections