FK
Posted By
Father Kodak
Jan 17, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Are there any situations in which Photoshop CS 4 will take advantage of a second video card?

If more video memory is "better" with CS 4, is it better to have two cards with say 512 MB each or one card with 1 GB?

I am not a gamer, so I don’t need high frame rate video performance.

–AH

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

D
Dave
Jan 18, 2009
On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 14:33:03 -0800, Father Kodak
wrote:

Are there any situations in which Photoshop CS 4 will take advantage of a second video card?

If more video memory is "better" with CS 4, is it better to have two cards with say 512 MB each or one card with 1 GB?

–AH

maybe the answer to your question is to be found here:

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb 404898
FK
Father Kodak
Jan 18, 2009
On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 04:58:27 +0200, Dave wrote:

On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 14:33:03 -0800, Father Kodak
wrote:

–AH

Thank you. I guess I should have looked at the Adobe site before posting this question. Here are the relevant parts of the Q&A:

Q. Does Photoshop take advantage of dual-GPU display cards? <- NOTE
A. Not at this time.

Q. Why can’t Photoshop take advantage of more than one display card?
A. When you move an image window between two monitors that are each on
a separate display card, the GPU attached to the second monitor does not have access to the data necessary to accelerate drawing. The SLI and Crossfire technologies that use more than one GPU to speed up full-screen games will not work with Photoshop, because their use is limited by design to accelerate only full-screen games. <- NOTE

thank you.

Pere Kodak
D
Dave
Jan 18, 2009

Thank you. I guess I should have looked at the Adobe site before posting this question. Here are the relevant parts of the Q&A:
Q. Does Photoshop take advantage of dual-GPU display cards? <- NOTE
A. Not at this time.

Q. Why can’t Photoshop take advantage of more than one display card?
A. When you move an image window between two monitors that are each on
a separate display card, the GPU attached to the second monitor does not have access to the data necessary to accelerate drawing. The SLI and Crossfire technologies that use more than one GPU to speed up full-screen games will not work with Photoshop, because their use is limited by design to accelerate only full-screen games. <- NOTE
thank you.

Pere Kodak

Glad I could help, Pere:-)

Dave
http://dave.photos.gb.net/p47889894.html
A
ahall
Feb 9, 2009
Father Kodak writes:

Father> Are there any situations in which Photoshop CS 4 will take advantage Father> of a second video card?

Father> If more video memory is "better" with CS 4, is it better to have two Father> cards with say 512 MB each or one card with 1 GB?

Father> I am not a gamer, so I don’t need high frame rate video performance.

In Windows the color calibration tables are on the card, so with one graphics card you cannot calibrate two monitors.

I do not believe this limitation is in Macs.

Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in alt.graphics.photoshop…)
G
gowanoh
Feb 9, 2009
It is utterly astounding how misunderstood is the interaction of Photoshop, video card and screen size.
This issue goes back to the dawn of the VGA standard and has not changed, even with the fledgling use of the GPU in CS4 under Vista. It is also utterly astounding how Mac users are so utterly ignorant of the very serious technical limitations of the crippled Intel hardware they use, the primitive nature of Mac video drivers compared to Wintel counterparts and the lack of sophisticated 64 bit development tools for the Mac OS compared to even the Abomination that is Vista.
FK
Father Kodak
Feb 15, 2009
On Mon, 9 Feb 2009 07:25:34 -0800, "semoi"
wrote:

It is utterly astounding how misunderstood is the interaction of Photoshop, video card and screen size.
This issue goes back to the dawn of the VGA standard and has not changed, even with the fledgling use of the GPU in CS4 under Vista. It is also utterly astounding how Mac users are so utterly ignorant of the very serious technical limitations of the crippled Intel hardware they use, the primitive nature of Mac video drivers compared to Wintel counterparts and the lack of sophisticated 64 bit development tools for the Mac OS compared to even the Abomination that is Vista.

Uhh, can you be more specific? Can you explain some of your points with examples?

thanks

father kodak
JJ
John J
Feb 18, 2009
Father Kodak wrote:
On Mon, 9 Feb 2009 07:25:34 -0800, "semoi"
wrote:

Uhh, can you be more specific? Can you explain some of your points with examples?

I rather doubt he will.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections