GD
Posted By
Grant Dixon
Sep 28, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have received a report that OS X’s Safari and Mail will not be triggered a direct email to me by the code I have on the Challenge web site. Is anyone else using this set up having difficulties?

Grant

Welcome Page : http://home.cogeco.ca/~challenge/Welcome.html

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

P
Phosphor
Sep 28, 2003
Hi, Grant. Yes, for me it works fine with IE but when I try with Safari it launches mail but doesn’t create a blank mail document, so it’s kind of useless you know enough to look at the status bar to see the link and get the address that way.
P
Phosphor
Sep 29, 2003
I see the same thing as Barbara.

Your code looked fine, Grant, so I double checked by Googling and found this:

< http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/97/37/index3a.html?tw=au thoring>

Their link worked in Safari but yours didn’t. Then I played around and did a little debugging. Apparently Safari is very strict and if you change your "Mailto:" to "mailto:" (just make the ‘M’ lowercase) it works fine.

Who’d’a known? πŸ™‚
P
Phosphor
Sep 29, 2003
I reported it to Apple’s Safari team as a bug.
GD
Grant Dixon
Sep 29, 2003
Lou

Thank you for finding the glitch. While it should work regardless of case I have change the code to make it more accessible to Safari users and will try to remember to do so while writing future code.

Grant
P
Phosphor
Sep 29, 2003
You’re welcome, Grant. No problem.

It’s widely acknowledged that Safari 1.0 was released too early. It was released from beta in response to Microsoft’s public announcement that it was discontinuing IE (Internet Explorer) development on the Mac.

But that’s OK, because Safari is way cooler than IE!
P
Phosphor
Sep 29, 2003
Way to go Lou and Grant! Works like a charm now.

Joe
P
Phosphor
Sep 29, 2003
Huh. Sorry to rain on the parade, guys, but when I click "Challenge Consideration" I still get the same thing–mail.app pops up, but no blank message. Or am I clicking a different link than the one y’all are talking about.

I notice that instead of "Mailto" or "mailto" the status bar now shows that link as "send email toΒ…"
P
Phosphor
Sep 29, 2003
That’s weird Barb. Both links (Challenge Entry & Challenge Consideration) work like they’re supposed to for me. I also get the "send email to…" in the status bar. Hmmm….

Joe
P
Phosphor
Sep 29, 2003
No, they’re fine for me in explorer, but not in safari. Hmm.
CS
carl sutherland
Sep 29, 2003
I am in Safari. If I click on either Challenge Entry or Challenge Consideration I get an email form addressed to Grant to send the image. I do not know nor recognize the status bar that is being referred to. Could one of you define? Please?

Thanks

Carl
P
Phosphor
Sep 29, 2003
Hi, Carl. The status bar is like the bottome bar of the IE window that showsthe url of a link if you hover your mouse over it, or how much more of a page there is to load while you are waiting. It’s off by default in Safari. If you want it, go to View>Status Bar.

Joe, do you think it could have something to do with my not having installed the java update?
P
Phosphor
Sep 29, 2003
Ah. It was a cache problem. Emptied it and all is fine now.
P
Phosphor
Sep 29, 2003
Yesterday when I sent my photo to Grant, I didnt realize until a couple hours later that it was returned as undeliverable. behind the .ca there was a / with the word ..start.. I removed the "start" then reforwarded it. That time it went through.
CS
carl_sutherland
Sep 30, 2003
Hi Barbara,

That’s pretty neat. I would have never found it.

Carl
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Sep 30, 2003
Hi, Carl. It took me a while, too.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups πŸ”₯

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections