R
Posted By
rdoc2
Jan 2, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
How do I create about a 1inch black vinette border around a photo that is a gradient going from full back on the outer edge to the lighter edge on the inner boarder of the vinette? I am aware that I create a new layer on top of the photo and than what do I do? I know how to create a solid black one inch edge but I want it to look or have a gradient looking edge? Thanks

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JJ
John J
Jan 2, 2009
RDOC wrote:
How do I create about a 1inch black vinette border around a photo that is a gradient going from full back on the outer edge to the lighter edge on the inner boarder of the vinette? I am aware that I create a new layer on top of the photo and than what do I do? I know how to create a solid black one inch edge but I want it to look or have a gradient looking edge? Thanks

Try this.

Press the ‘x’ key (that sets the background to white)
Select the part of the image you want to be vignetted (marching ants) Go to Actions. Choose the Frames set.
In the Frames action set, choose Vignette.
Run it.
Then go to the layer thats white.
Select the Gradate filter (left tool bar, about in the middle) At the top of the screen, select the second option (round graduation) Click in the center of the white layer and drag to one corner. Let go.

There are some nice frames built into PS. The ‘brushed aluminum’ effect frame is a one-click action.
R
rdoc2
Jan 2, 2009
On Jan 2, 3:24 pm, John J wrote:
RDOC wrote:

Try this.

Select the part of the image you want to be vignetted (marching ants) Go to Actions. Choose the Frames set.
Run it.
Select the Gradate filter (left tool bar, about in the middle) At the top of the screen, select the second option (round graduation) Click in the center of the white layer and drag to one corner. Let go.
There are some nice frames built into PS. The ‘brushed aluminum’ effect frame is a one-click action.

I tried that and it worked but it gave me a light grey vignette how can I get it to be black? Thanks for your help.
A
akphotog
Jan 3, 2009
Another method would be to place one inch guides. New layer fill black. Take your rectangle tool to your guides, apply a 10-50px feather and delete.

"RDOC" wrote in message
RDOC wrote:

Try this.

Run it.

I tried that and it worked but it gave me a light grey vignette how can I get it to be black? Thanks for your help.
F
Fred
Jan 3, 2009

Make a new layer.
Create a black/white radial gradient looking the way you want your vignette to look
Set the layer blend mode to multiply.

Just another way.

(play with different blend modes, you may have surprising results)
JJ
John J
Jan 3, 2009
tweaked_eye wrote:
Another method would be to place one inch guides. New layer fill black. Take your rectangle tool to your guides, apply a 10-50px feather and delete.
"RDOC" wrote in message
RDOC wrote:
Try this.

Run it.

Follow the directions above BUT instead of first pressing the ‘x’ key, press the ‘d’ key.
J
Joel
Jan 3, 2009
RDOC wrote:

Pick your choice.

1. Google for free plug-in or action. I don’t use plug-in to know where to to start, but I believe there is a web page called something like Central Action (or Action Central) there you should be able to find one or several free actions.

And you can GOOGLE for the link.

2. You can use a commercial plug-in (I used it before and Vinette was the only thing I used as it’s quicker than manually) called something like Unlimited …

This is an older plug-in set with many smaller plug-ins but I only used the vinette to know much about other.

3. Or you should be able to use few very basic Photoshop commands to get the similar effect. And there is toooooo many different ways to do, so I don’t know where to start.

And if you still can’t figure out then I don’t think you have much fun with Photoshop yet.
JF
John Forest
Jan 5, 2009
Create a new layer above your photo. Select the area you want to have inside the vignette. Then invert the selection. Create a layer mask on your new layer. That will give you a mask that is black in the center and white around the edges. Click on the image icon in the layer and fill it with black. Then click on the layer mask icon and go to Filter>Gaussian Blur. Move the slider until you get the softer edge you want. You may have to duplicate the layer to get the effect down to true black at the edge.
R
rdoc2
Jan 6, 2009
On Jan 5, 4:09 pm, "John Forest" wrote:
Create a new layer above your photo. Select the area you want to have inside the vignette. Then invert the selection. Create a layer mask on your new layer. That will give you a mask that is black in the center and white around the edges. Click on the image icon in the layer and fill it with black. Then click on the layer mask icon and go to Filter>Gaussian Blur. Move the slider until you get the softer edge you want. You may have to duplicate the layer to get the effect down to true black at the edge.

I liked that way a lot of steps but it worked well and you can see what your doing.
M
me
Jan 7, 2009

Make a new layer.
Create a black/white radial gradient looking the way you want your vignette to look

Just another way.

I found yours the easiest to implement.
F
Fred
Jan 7, 2009

Make a new layer.
Create a black/white radial gradient looking the way you want your vignette
to look

Just another way.

I found yours the easiest to implement.

I’m lazy by nature 🙂
JF
John Forest
Jan 7, 2009
I figured out an easier way:
1) Create a new layer with no color.
2) Select all (Control or Command A)
3) Edit Stroke (Set the width for the number of pixels per inch for your image and select inside, 100% opacity and black as the color.
4) Go to gaussian blur and move the slider for the effect you want.
R
rdoc2
Jan 8, 2009
On Jan 7, 4:45 pm, "John Forest" wrote:
3) Edit Stroke (Set the width for the number of pixels per inch for your image and select inside, 100% opacity and black as the color.

John could you be more specific here since I tried this and it didn’t work. List the layers please that you do the steps 2, 3, land 4 on, thanks.
JJ
John J
Jan 8, 2009
RDOC wrote:

John could you be more specific here since I tried this and it didn’t work. List the layers please that you do the steps 2, 3, land 4 on, thanks.

You already received a basic two-button solution.
R
rdoc2
Jan 9, 2009
On Jan 8, 6:45 pm, John J wrote:
RDOC wrote:

You state the steps but don’t say what layer is selected for each step (2, 3, 4) so I am not able to get it to work. It sounds great but to be great it has to work. Thanks
J
jjs
Jan 9, 2009
"RDOC" wrote in message
RDOC wrote:
3) Edit Stroke (Set the width for the number of pixels per inch for your
image and select inside, 100% opacity and black as the color.

You state the steps but don’t say what layer is selected for each step (2, 3, 4) so I am not able to get it to work. It sounds great but to be great it has to work. Thanks

One layer is all that was necessary. The action created the layer you need.
J
Joel
Jan 9, 2009
"John Forest" wrote:

There are so many different ways to archive the same or similar. And as I have mentioned if you want a little more control of the size then you may want to take a look at the older commercial plug-in called Umlimited Filters (or something like that), then of course you can always add some of your own to cover what the Unlimited Filters is lacking.

Or there should be around 1001 different ways to chose and to enjoy. And again, I always do with some Quick Mask which I don’t see you mention it.
J
Joel
Jan 9, 2009
RDOC wrote:

Here is one of the 1001 ways.

1. Create a BLANK layer and fill with the color of your choice.

2. Click on the [o] Quick Mask, then using the Size, Opacity of the BRUSH to brush around.

Of course you can use the combination of Blur, LightingEffect etc.. but you can do without or more if you know more command.
JJ
John J
Jan 10, 2009
There are at least two Johns in this thread. It became confused!
JF
John Forest
Jan 11, 2009
All steps are carried out on the new layer you created in step #1 When you create this layer click on Layer>New Layer. Select color none, mode normal opacity 100% and do not check the box that says "Use previous layer to create clipping mask. Click OK

With that layer as the active one (it will be by default) click on Select>Select All (or press CONTROL – A (Or COMMAND – A if you use a MAC.

The remaining two steps are done on that layer also.

I did forget to mention that you can only stroke up to 250 pixels at a time. If you want to make a one inch border and your image is 360 pixels per inch you will need some added steps.

3A Select > Deselect
3B Use the magic wand to select the black area you created in step 3 3C Select > Inverse selection
3D Stroke again with black using a width of your pixels per inch in the image minus the width of the original stroke. (In the example 260 minus 250 = 110
3E Select All (Repeat step 2)

Now go to step 4

I can’t make it any simpler. It has taken me ten times more time and effort to explain than to do it.
J
Joel
Jan 11, 2009
RDOC wrote:

RDOC wrote:

If you can’t be able to figure out the very basic LAYER command then I would suggest to stop all the fancy dream but to start from very basic. No, I don’t mean to put you down, but just like everything we all have to build our foundation from the very bottom up.

Or it shouldn’t matter if the OP mentions which layer, if you have the very basic understanding of how the whole thing works, then you should be able to figure out which layer to use (even if the OP gives some error instruction).

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections