P
Posted By
Phosphor
Sep 27, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have been using Adobe Photo Deluxe BE 1.0 for several months. It has started to crash every time I open it. Think it came with my scanner — don’t have the software.

Want to buy something to replace it. Have Adobe Acrobat 6.0 Pro which is wonderful!

Tech at Adobe just told me to buy Photo Shop Elements 2.0. Just want to edit photos, both from digital camera and others I have scanned into PC. Will this do it?

Can’t find a price for it. What is difference between Elements and Photo Shop 3.0 and 4.0 I see mentioned in Forum questions.

Just want to make sure I buy the right software without spending $600!

Thanks.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

P
Phosphor
Sep 27, 2003
You’ll love Elements, and it’s a heck of a lot less than $600! I think I saw it recently for $59, after a $30 Adobe rebate, and your old Photo Deluxe would be a qualifying piece of software. If you look around, you might be able to find it for less.

You’ve seen references to newer versions of Photo Deluxe on the forum recently, I think, and it’s been discontinued. Or you might be getting confused with full Photoshop. That’s the premiere editing program (and $600!), but judging from the description of what you want to accomplish, Elements will give you everything you need, and probably more. Elements is based on the engine of Photoshop 7.0, but it lacks some of the higher end features. No CYMK (although there is a somewhat awkward way to do that with an addon), you can’t write actions, but Elements can play them back if it contains the correct features. Not many of us do anything Elements can’t handle, and you probably won’t either. Go for it! We need new blood in the forum! 🙂 (Not that there’s anything wrong with the old blood mind you, but the more the merrier!)
P
Phosphor
Sep 27, 2003
Thank you Beth! I just installed Adobe Actobat 6.0 Pro, and there’s a folder entitled, "Acrobat Elements" with an *.exe file in it, but nothing happens when I click on it. Don’t know what that’s about. Anyway, I’m going to order Elements. Going to check out Office Depot and Staples first. They may have it.

Appreciate your prompt reply. I’ll be checking back here periodically — may be able to contribute something 🙂
P
Phosphor
Sep 27, 2003
Jermaine, Acrobat Elements and Photoshop Elements are two different animals. Adobe is using ‘Elements’ the way that Miller uses ‘Lite’. 🙂
LK
Leen Koper
Sep 27, 2003
Jermaine, Elements is all you need to edit your images.
There is hardly anything you cannot do with this program and some add ons. Just only when you have to do CMYK conversions on a regular base you will really need the full version.
Of course the full version has options like the "healing brush" you won’t find in Elements, but although I have to make a living out of photography, I never needed anything more than Elements offers.

Leen
P
Phosphor
Sep 27, 2003
You guys are soooo smart. So tell me — I downloaded a trial version of Adobe PhotoShop Elements. Is that what I want?

jermaine
P
Phosphor
Sep 27, 2003
Yes, Jermaine, that is what you want. However, if you like it and decide to get it, there are a couple of things I’d like to say. First, look for a boxed version, because you’ll pay less and probably get more. (A printed manual, for one.) Second, make sure you’ve totally removed the demo version from your computer before installing the retail version. And be sure to do a separate "find" for any pieces that may have been left behind after the uninstall command finished doing its thing. We get a goodly number of posts from people who’ve failed to do that, and they have problems. I don’t remember that Adobe addressed this issue very clearly in the documentation with the retail version of the program. Enjoy!
W
Woolie
Sep 28, 2003
If you are near a WalMart – ours in TN has Elements 2 for $58. Karen

"Beth Haney" wrote in message
You’ll love Elements, and it’s a heck of a lot less than $600! I think I
saw it recently for $59, after a $30 Adobe rebate, and your old Photo Deluxe would be a qualifying piece of software. If you look around, you might be able to find it for less.
You’ve seen references to newer versions of Photo Deluxe on the forum
recently, I think, and it’s been discontinued. Or you might be getting confused with full Photoshop. That’s the premiere editing program (and $600!), but judging from the description of what you want to accomplish, Elements will give you everything you need, and probably more. Elements is based on the engine of Photoshop 7.0, but it lacks some of the higher end features. No CYMK (although there is a somewhat awkward way to do that with an addon), you can’t write actions, but Elements can play them back if it contains the correct features. Not many of us do anything Elements can’t handle, and you probably won’t either. Go for it! We need new blood in the forum! 🙂 (Not that there’s anything wrong with the old blood mind you, but the more the merrier!)
P
Phosphor
Sep 28, 2003
I was just reading the Sunday newspaper flyers and see where Office Depot has PSE 2 for $49.74AR. That would be the $30 Adobe mail in rebate and $20 instant savings from Office Depot.
DS
Dick Smith
Sep 28, 2003
On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 19:14:18 -0500, Woolie wrote:

If you are near a WalMart – ours in TN has Elements 2 for $58. Karen

"Beth Haney" wrote in message
You’ll love Elements, and it’s a heck of a lot less than $600! I think I
saw it recently for $59, after a $30 Adobe rebate, and your old Photo Deluxe
would be a qualifying piece of software. If you look around, you might be able to find it for less.
You’ve seen references to newer versions of Photo Deluxe on the forum
recently, I think, and it’s been discontinued. Or you might be getting confused with full Photoshop. That’s the premiere editing program (and $600!), but judging from the description of what you want to accomplish, Elements will give you everything you need, and probably more. Elements is
based on the engine of Photoshop 7.0, but it lacks some of the higher end features. No CYMK (although there is a somewhat awkward way to do that with
an addon), you can’t write actions, but Elements can play them back if it contains the correct features. Not many of us do anything Elements can’t handle, and you probably won’t either. Go for it! We need new blood in the
forum! 🙂 (Not that there’s anything wrong with the old blood mind you, but
the more the merrier!)

Using M2, Opera’s revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/
AS
Alexander, Sandra
Sep 29, 2003
Is a cloning tool included in Photoshop Elements?
HB
Haney, Beth
Sep 29, 2003
Yes.
AS
Alexander, Sandra
Sep 30, 2003
Thanks, Beth, I hadn’t seen cloning listed as a tool. I’m off to Office Depot tomorrow….good tip!
JA
Joan_Arch
Oct 20, 2003
I have resident on my PC the Adobe Deluxe which came with my UMAX scanner, but I want to have the Adobe Photoshop Elements. I went to www.adobe.com and can’t see where I can download Photoshop elements trial versioon. Can someone give me a site for that?
GD
Grant_Dixon
Oct 20, 2003
Hello Joan of Arch

Here is where to try

http://www.adobe.com/products/tryadobe/main.jhtml

g.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections