R
Posted By
rdoc2
Dec 8, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Is one way or the other better for adjusting a photo that is a little dark or a little to light in Photoshop. My choices being the center triangle in levels (midtones) or the blending modes in the layers palete? Assuming that the highlights and shadow sliders are right on in the levels box. Thanks

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

D
Dave
Dec 8, 2008
On Sun, 7 Dec 2008 19:51:04 -0800 (PST), RDOC
wrote:

Is one way or the other better for adjusting a photo that is a little dark or a little to light in Photoshop. My choices being the center triangle in levels (midtones) or the blending modes in the layers palete? Assuming that the highlights and shadow sliders are right on in the levels box. Thanks

Is Curves not one of your choices?
Play with the alternatives and compare.
If darkening, you should also consider making a duplicate and change the Blending mode to Multiply with adjustment to Opacity.

http://www.farmmurders.com/
R
rdoc2
Dec 8, 2008
On Dec 8, 12:48 am, Dave wrote:
wrote:

Is one way or the other better for adjusting a photo that is a little dark or a little to light in Photoshop. My choices being the center triangle in levels (midtones) or the blending modes in the layers palate? Assuming that the highlights and shadow sliders are right on in the levels box. Thanks

If darkening, you should also consider making a duplicate and change the Blending mode to Multiply with adjustment to Opacity.

I am aware of your suggestions but my question still stands. Is it better to do the adjustment in levels or using the blending modes in the layers palate. I feel I can get good results doing it either way but is there a reason that one way is the more desirable method?
D
Dave
Dec 8, 2008
On Sun, 7 Dec 2008 22:09:33 -0800 (PST), RDOC
wrote:

wrote:

Is one way or the other better for adjusting a photo that is a little dark or a little to light in Photoshop. My choices being the center triangle in levels (midtones) or the blending modes in the layers palate? Assuming that the highlights and shadow sliders are right on in the levels box. Thanks

I am aware of your suggestions but my question still stands. Is it better to do the adjustment in levels or using the blending modes in the layers palate. I feel I can get good results doing it either way but is there a reason that one way is the more desirable method?

The contrast should be better when using Levels
although you should be leaded by the results.
IMHO, I repeat myself when saying Levels
should result in better contrasting
between light and dark.
K
KatWoman
Dec 8, 2008
"RDOC" wrote in message

your question does not address if you are attempting to correct ALL the image or only parts of the image

curves is perhaps better than levels
blending modes are used for a lot of things not usually the first choice for exposure corrections

my first choice would be to open the image in RAW
the exposure controls are very varied and have many choices to adjust by highlight only or dark area only
by the color or add fill light . blacks etc

if you get to what you like with levels it’s fine
but in srgb space levels is limited

the curvemeister Mike Russell) website can show you how to use LAB mode to adjust a/b channels without affecting the colors as much worth looking into
J
Joel
Dec 8, 2008
RDOC wrote:

There is no better or worse technique/command to adjust the brightness. Or we just need to learn several different commands and use whatever works best for a specific photo.

Or you can use any or commination of these. Level, Curve, Hi-lite/Shadow, Explosure etc..

In general, you just slide the slider to where the Darkest/Brighnest start, and of course you do move further Left/Right or moving the middle bar for your own liking. IOW, just try the general then explode it for your own pleasure.
N
nomail
Dec 8, 2008
RDOC wrote:

wrote:

No. If the end result is the same, it doesn’t matter how you got there.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.com
J
Joel
Dec 8, 2008
RDOC wrote:

wrote:

In general Blend mode (I am assuming multiple layers) often not the popular command for brightness adjusting. Unless for some special need then it may even be the must have command.

"LEVEL" is probably the command most people use.
JJ
John J
Dec 9, 2008
Joel wrote:

LEVELS should be put to sleep. To me it is only good when I want to drastically clip the tones, or go high contrast quickly.

Curves does not clip nearly as much. I recommend curves.
J
Joel
Dec 9, 2008
John J wrote:

Joel wrote:

LEVELS should be put to sleep. To me it is only good when I want to drastically clip the tones, or go high contrast quickly.

Agree! LEVEL in general is a good tool to deal with the histogram, or where the BLACK & WHITE channels start. It does have option to adjust the brightness but not a good brightness adjusting tool for most people.

Photoshop itself has all the commands we may find in RAW Converter, but most of them are often hidden in deeper menu (sub-menu). So to me, the easier way for most newbie is using the LightRoom or ARC comes with CS3 or CS4 which support JPG and most if not all popolar non-RAW formats.

I don’t upgrade to CS4 this time (my health hasn’t been so well for over a year) to know much about CS4, but I believe the ARC continues to support non-RAW format.

Me? cuz I am a professional photographer so I can’t afford to deal with messed up photo, and knowing Photoshop quite well to have problem with brightness adjusting. Or I have been dealing with them years before the first RAW converter was born to know how to funtion without RAW converter.
N
nomail
Dec 9, 2008
John J wrote:

Joel wrote:

Although I agree that curves is more versatile, what you say about levels is nonsense. Have you ever tried to move the mid slider only? Moving the mid slider of levels is exactly the same as moving the middle point of curves upward or downward and so it doesn’t clip anything.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.com
K
KatWoman
Dec 9, 2008
"John J" wrote in message
Joel wrote:

I agree about curves being the better choice BUT not to putting levels to rest

for PRINT JOBS and stock

often require us to put image into LEVELS and clip black and whites to SPECIFIC number values
JJ
John J
Dec 10, 2008
Johan W. Elzenga wrote:
John J wrote:

Joel wrote:

Although I agree that curves is more versatile, what you say about levels is nonsense. Have you ever tried to move the mid slider only? Moving the mid slider of levels is exactly the same as moving the middle point of curves upward or downward and so it doesn’t clip anything.

Johan, I do appreciate the correction. I did some experiments and it appears you are right.

Again, thank you!

John
J
Jurgen
Dec 10, 2008
John J wrote:
Johan W. Elzenga wrote:
John J wrote:

Joel wrote:

Johan, I do appreciate the correction. I did some experiments and it appears you are right.

Again, thank you!

John

Mike Russell said once "you can do anything with curves" (referring to image adjustment) I’d like to say now, you can do anything with levels.

I assume he adopted curves for his plugin because of technical limitations with levels at the time he began creating curvemiester.

Nothing wrong with his plugin. Nothing wrong either with someone achieving the same thing using levels.

I also discovered CS4 "Shadow highlights" control to be excellent at taming contrast. Much more so than in earlier PS versions.

There is plenty of evidence to suggest that lowering the contrast range of an image intended for magazine publication will in fact produce a very pleasant looking picture.

One of the magazines I supply photography to has recently revised their requirements regarding D-Max and contrast. I think they might have changed printers or paper but whatever it is, my low contrast photos look quite pleasant in the latest edition.
N
nomail
Dec 10, 2008
Jurgen wrote:

Again, thank you!

John

Mike Russell said once "you can do anything with curves" (referring to image adjustment) I’d like to say now, you can do anything with levels.

No, you can certainly do more with curves than you can do with levels. Levels is like having curves with only three fixed points: a point on the far left, a point in the middle and a point on the far right. With curves, you can have as many points as you like, so you can make an ‘s’-curve or even more complicated curves. With levels, you can’t do that.

J
jjs
Dec 10, 2008
"Jurgen" wrote in message
John J wrote:

Not quite. Curves offers much more control upon the curves. Naturally.
J
Joel
Dec 10, 2008
(Johan W. Elzenga) wrote:

John J wrote:

Joel wrote:

Hehehe don’t try to make some sense out of me. Yes, I do know how to move all 3 and even more than 3 slider, but it will make more sense when you really know what those sliders do.

Other than that, I agree with you there is more moving option available.
J
Joel
Dec 10, 2008
John J wrote:

Johan W. Elzenga wrote:
John J wrote:

Joel wrote:

It’s between right and wrong.

– RIGHT – yes, you can move those 3 main sliders around, and you can even move if I am not miscounting there is around no less than 12 sliders (or at least somewhere around 14 sliders).

– WRONG – nope! if you try to control the Color Channel the normal way then it may not totally right.

So, pick whatever please you, but try not to forget that Photoshop is very flexible it gives you both right/wrong, better/worse way for different need.

Again, thank you!

John
J
Joel
Dec 10, 2008
Jurgen wrote:

John J wrote:
Johan W. Elzenga wrote:
John J wrote:

Joel wrote:

Again, thank you!

John

I assume he adopted curves for his plugin because of technical limitations with levels at the time he began creating curvemiester.
Nothing wrong with his plugin. Nothing wrong either with someone achieving the same thing using levels.

I also discovered CS4 "Shadow highlights" control to be excellent at taming contrast. Much more so than in earlier PS versions.

Shadow/Hi-Lite option has been available on several version. It’s kinda ok for newbie but may not be used by many or most professional.

There is plenty of evidence to suggest that lowering the contrast range of an image intended for magazine publication will in fact produce a very pleasant looking picture.

One of the magazines I supply photography to has recently revised their requirements regarding D-Max and contrast. I think they might have changed printers or paper but whatever it is, my low contrast photos look quite pleasant in the latest edition.
J
Joel
Dec 10, 2008

Jurgen wrote:

Again, thank you!

John

No, you can certainly do more with curves than you can do with levels. Levels is like having curves with only three fixed points: a point on the far left, a point in the middle and a point on the far right. With curves, you can have as many points as you like, so you can make an ‘s’-curve or even more complicated curves. With levels, you can’t do that.

I can’t say I agree or disagree with you between Curve vs Level as they are good for different need. But I disagree with you that Level has only 3 fixed points or 3 sliders.

Or it may have about 4-5X times more than you think. Of course Level can’t do Curve, but you are selling Level a little too cheap.
J
Joel
Dec 10, 2008
"John J" wrote:

John J wrote:

Well, I started with Level, then spent around 2 years on Curve, then I am back to Level as I almost never need Curve, and Level for quick adjusting. Or Level is one I do use but not heavily.
JJ
John J
Dec 11, 2008
Joel wrote:
"John J" wrote:

John J wrote:

Well, I started with Level, then spent around 2 years on Curve, then I am back to Level as I almost never need Curve, and Level for quick adjusting. Or Level is one I do use but not heavily.

What works, works. No problem.
MR
Mike Russell
Dec 11, 2008
On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 08:54:57 -0600, John J wrote:

I did say that you can do anything with curves that you can with levels, and that remains true.

Levels could, in theory, be dropped from Photoshop with zero loss of functionality. I would not do so at this point, because of existing actions, scripts, and also out of respect for people’s long familiarity with levels.

Mike Russell – http://www.curvemeister.com
N
nomail
Dec 11, 2008
Joel wrote:

I can’t say I agree or disagree with you between Curve vs Level as they are good for different need. But I disagree with you that Level has only 3 fixed points or 3 sliders.

Or it may have about 4-5X times more than you think. Of course Level can’t do Curve, but you are selling Level a little too cheap.

OK, let me elaborate: Levels has only three *INPUT* sliders at fixed positions, where curves has as many as you want at any position you want.

BTW, that applies to Photoshop only, of course. For example Apple Aperture has levels with five input sliders, and three of them can be positioned anywhere you want.

N
nomail
Dec 11, 2008
Mike Russell wrote:

I did say that you can do anything with curves that you can with levels, and that remains true.

Levels could, in theory, be dropped from Photoshop with zero loss of functionality. I would not do so at this point, because of existing actions, scripts, and also out of respect for people’s long familiarity with levels.

Absolutely true. Now that curves shows the histogram, levels doesn’t have anything that curves doesn’t have as well.

K
KatWoman
Dec 11, 2008
"Johan W. Elzenga" wrote in message
Joel wrote:

I can’t say I agree or disagree with you between Curve vs Level as they are good for different need. But I disagree with you that Level has only 3
fixed points or 3 sliders.

OK, let me elaborate: Levels has only three *INPUT* sliders at fixed positions, where curves has as many as you want at any position you

perhaps he refers to the drop down in levels where you can adjust individual channels? according to color space there are 3 more sliders for each red green blue
or in cmyk 4more sliders with 3 options?

can’t believe I am sticking up for Joel

want.

BTW, that applies to Photoshop only, of course. For example Apple Aperture has levels with five input sliders, and three of them can be positioned anywhere you want.

J
Jurgen
Dec 11, 2008
KatWoman wrote:

perhaps he refers to the drop down in levels where you can adjust individual channels? according to color space there are 3 more sliders for each red green blue
or in cmyk 4more sliders with 3 options?

It’s Christmas Kat, be benevolent!
J
Jurgen
Dec 11, 2008
Johan W. Elzenga wrote:
Mike Russell wrote:

Absolutely true. Now that curves shows the histogram, levels doesn’t have anything that curves doesn’t have as well.

You could of course say "Curves could be dropped from Photoshop with zero loss of functionality" too. I can’t find anything curves does that I can’t do with levels.

Like Mike, I wouldn’t remove curves because of the scripts, actions and of course his and several other plug-ins that rely on curves.

But I still contend that levels is very viable way of obtaining the same results you get from curves. You might not agree with me but I don’t agree with a lot that you say either, Johan.

I can create a droplet for a levels process to make it repeatable for Say:

A Nikon D60 image(which makes Velvia look like a low contrast low saturation film) that is fast and reliable in taming the wild greens and yellow saturations of these cameras far easier and faster than I can using curves.

Curves is fine for a quick grab to make an S curve on a stranger’s images but when you work with your own or known source images, levels is a highly efficient and very fast way to automate standard image adjustments.

When I first began development of my droplets package I timed doing it with curves compared to using levels. Levels is faster by a factor of 3 with all but one droplet.

All too often experienced Photoshop users are closed to ideas that once were impractical but are now highly practical. Like when Mike (to his credit) changed his idea about color management, we should all be open to other people’s views if we are to move forward with our craft.
MR
Mike Russell
Dec 12, 2008
On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 17:01:42 -0500, KatWoman wrote:

perhaps he refers to the drop down in levels where you can adjust individual channels? according to color space there are 3 more sliders for each red green blue or in cmyk 4more sliders with 3 options?

Three adjustments, plus two more under those for the output range of each channel. So for CMYK, that’s a total of 5*5 = 25 separate adjustments – not bad for little old levels.

LOL. Tis the season.

MR
Mike Russell
Dec 12, 2008
On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 08:38:01 +1000, Jurgen wrote:

You could of course say "Curves could be dropped from Photoshop with zero loss of functionality" too. I can’t find anything curves does that I can’t do with levels.

Here’s one – take an image with a dark object and a light object, and increase the contrast of both of them. Curves does it easily with a backward’s S shape. This shape requires at least two curve points, so it can’t be done with Levels, and you are forced to pick either the light object or the dark one. With three objects, Levels is left in the dust.

Like Mike, I wouldn’t remove curves because of the scripts, actions and of course his and several other plug-ins that rely on curves.

That would be OK with me actually. Curvemeister is a complete re-write of curves. Removing Curves from Photoshop would cause an enormous bump in sales 🙂

But I still contend that levels is very viable way of obtaining the same results you get from curves. You might not agree with me but I don’t agree with a lot that you say either, Johan.

Almost anything that involves adjusting the contrast of two or more objects of different brightness is impossible to do with levels.

I can create a droplet for a levels process to make it repeatable for Say:
A Nikon D60 image(which makes Velvia look like a low contrast low saturation film) that is fast and reliable in taming the wild greens and yellow saturations of these cameras far easier and faster than I can using curves.

Droplet functionality works well for curves.

Curves is fine for a quick grab to make an S curve on a stranger’s images but when you work with your own or known source images, levels is a highly efficient and very fast way to automate standard image adjustments.

Curves is also very efficient fast. The number of mouse clicks is the same, or less, for Curves than for Levels.

When I first began development of my droplets package I timed doing it with curves compared to using levels. Levels is faster by a factor of 3 with all but one droplet.

Not an issue. Using a 71 megapixel image I have lying around. With non-trivial adjustments to all three channels, plus the master channel, Levels and curves both took less than half a second.

All too often experienced Photoshop users are closed to ideas that once were impractical but are now highly practical. Like when Mike (to his credit) changed his idea about color management, we should all be open to other people’s views if we are to move forward with our craft.

I do appreciate your efforts to play Devil’s advocate. It’s fun, and I think every once in a while it’s good to discuss some of the advantages of curves.

Here’s another way to look at it. Levels is curves with training wheels. Training wheels may have their place, for a while. Use them until you see the limitations, and discover that they make noise, bump into things, and you can’t go around turns (curves) as quickly as your friends without training wheels. And they look dorky. Then take them off and don’t look back.

JJ
John J
Dec 12, 2008
Jurgen wrote:

With respect, I believe you are speaking to your particular aspiration: the limits you accept. It is not a bad thing, but people who want to wring out the potential of curves have different outcomes. It is all about outcomes – what makes you happy is fine. Maybe your aesthetic measure is different.

Me, I use digital on the day-job and I am merciless when it comes to image correction.

All the rest of my work is pure film and wet darkroom work where it is the rare case where digital can perform the same. Where digital is most helpful is in Curves, something that is very hard, if not impossible, to achieve with only film.

Kill levels.
N
nomail
Dec 12, 2008
KatWoman wrote:

I can’t say I agree or disagree with you between Curve vs Level as they are good for different need. But I disagree with you that Level has only 3
fixed points or 3 sliders.

OK, let me elaborate: Levels has only three *INPUT* sliders at fixed positions, where curves has as many as you want at any position you

perhaps he refers to the drop down in levels where you can adjust individual channels? according to color space there are 3 more sliders for each red green blue or in cmyk 4more sliders with 3 options?

True, but rather irrelevant in this comparison, because curves has the same channel options. The difference remains the same.

N
nomail
Dec 12, 2008
Jurgen wrote:

You could say that, but it would be nonsense. There are many things you can do with curves that you cannot possibly do with levels. Simple things like increasing contrast without changing highlights and showdows (so without increasing clipping), by using an inverted ‘S’ shaped curve for example. Or weird things like making a kind of solarisation effect by using a curve that goes all the way up and down a few times.

J
Jurgen
Dec 12, 2008
Johan W. Elzenga wrote:
Simple things like increasing contrast without changing highlights and showdows (so without increasing clipping), by using an inverted ‘S’ shaped curve for example. Or weird things like making a kind of solarisation effect by using a curve that goes all the way up and down a few times.

I’m sure we all have a use for that one!
MR
Mike Russell
Dec 12, 2008
On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 08:08:38 +1000, Jurgen wrote:

Johan W. Elzenga wrote:
Simple things like increasing contrast without changing highlights and showdows (so without increasing clipping), by using an inverted ‘S’ shaped curve for example. Or weird things like making a kind of solarisation effect by using a curve that goes all the way up and down a few times.

Here are some common areas where levels comes up short. Levels cannot set a shadow and highlight – meaning a predefined shadow or highlight value, with darker and brighter values smoothly grading to pure black and white.

For example, It is very common to want the brightest area in the image with detail (the highlight) to be RGB(245,245,245), with other areas that have no detail, such as spectral reflections – going to pure white. With curves, I can create control points for the highlight, and set the spectral reflections to pure white. This operation is essential for a good color correction, and it is impossible in Levels.

There is a similar requirement, that levels cannot fulfill for retaining detail in significant shadows, while allowing other areas to go to pure black.

The third, and probably most important, case involves increasing the contrast of a midtone object. Level’s simply can’t do this. Instead, it changes the brightness of the midtones, and always decreases the contrast.

If levels is your preferred tool at the moment, these three deficiencies should be enough reason to switch to curves. You paid for curves as part of Photoshop or Elements – why not use them to make your images better? —
J
Jurgen
Dec 13, 2008
Mike Russell wrote:
On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 08:08:38 +1000, Jurgen wrote:

Johan W. Elzenga wrote:

Here are some common areas where levels comes up short. Levels cannot set a shadow and highlight – meaning a predefined shadow or highlight value, with darker and brighter values smoothly grading to pure black and white.
For example, It is very common to want the brightest area in the image with detail (the highlight) to be RGB(245,245,245), with other areas that have no detail, such as spectral reflections – going to pure white. With curves, I can create control points for the highlight, and set the spectral reflections to pure white. This operation is essential for a good color correction, and it is impossible in Levels.

There is a similar requirement, that levels cannot fulfill for retaining detail in significant shadows, while allowing other areas to go to pure black.

The third, and probably most important, case involves increasing the contrast of a midtone object. Level’s simply can’t do this. Instead, it changes the brightness of the midtones, and always decreases the contrast.
If levels is your preferred tool at the moment, these three deficiencies should be enough reason to switch to curves. You paid for curves as part of Photoshop or Elements – why not use them to make your images better?

Oddly enough Mike,
I and all my clients are quite happy with my images the way I deliver them.

I don’t actually see anything I do with levels "deficient" in any way. As a photographer, I get everything I need in Photoshop with droplets I’ve made using levels.

Should I now attempt to argue you into converting a workflow to my methods or just recognize you have a different opinion than I do?
MR
Mike Russell
Dec 13, 2008
On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 12:33:37 +1000, Jurgen wrote:

Should I now attempt to argue you into converting a workflow to my methods or just recognize you have a different opinion than I do?

Some examples would be most persuasive. Do you maintain, for example, that changing contrast over a range of brightness values is something that you
a) never do, b) occasionally do, or c) almost always do.

If the answer is a, or b, then – your and your clients’s happiness notwithstanding – I believe you have some pleasant surprises in your future regarding what is possible in Photoshop. That can only be a good thing. —
N
nomail
Dec 13, 2008
Jurgen wrote:

Oddly enough Mike,

You and your clients may be happy with what you get right now, but that is no proof that working with curves would not allow you to deliver even better images than you do right now. There is always room to improve, but you have to be open minded enough to want to learn new things.

I don’t actually see anything I do with levels "deficient" in any way. As a photographer, I get everything I need in Photoshop with droplets I’ve made using levels.

Levels is by no means ‘deficient’, but there simply are things you cannot possibly do with levels. I find it hard to imagine that you would never need to increase midtone contrast, just to name one thing that levels can’t do. Or ‘open up’ shadows without changing the brightness of the overall image. But perhaps you only work in a studio with controlled lighting and never ever shoot outdoors?

Or maybe you should recognise that Mike knows a lot more about Photoshop than you do? And consequently that Mike could probably improve your images beyond the point where you can no longer improve them?

J
Joel
Dec 13, 2008

Joel wrote:

OK, let me elaborate: Levels has only three *INPUT* sliders at fixed positions, where curves has as many as you want at any position you want.

With Curve you can make as many marks as you wish, but it won’t be easy to control all the marks at once.

Level has more than 3 sliders (somewhere around 12-14 sliders). No, you can’t move up and down like Curve but you can slide Left/Right anywhere you wish.

I don’t know anything about Apple but I don’t think it’s much or any different than Windows, and if Windows has more than 5 (12-14) then I bet Apple should be close to equal. But I am not MAC user so I may be wrong.
J
Joel
Dec 13, 2008
John J wrote:

Joel wrote:
"John J" wrote:

John J wrote:

What works, works. No problem.

Now that I agree with you! and that is why I switch because they both serve me well.
J
Jurgen
Dec 13, 2008
Johan W. Elzenga wrote:
Jurgen wrote:

Oddly enough Mike,

You and your clients may be happy with what you get right now, but that is no proof that working with curves would not allow you to deliver even better images than you do right now. There is always room to improve, but you have to be open minded enough to want to learn new things.

Levels is by no means ‘deficient’, but there simply are things you cannot possibly do with levels. I find it hard to imagine that you would never need to increase midtone contrast, just to name one thing that levels can’t do. Or ‘open up’ shadows without changing the brightness of the overall image. But perhaps you only work in a studio with controlled lighting and never ever shoot outdoors?

Or maybe you should recognise that Mike knows a lot more about Photoshop than you do? And consequently that Mike could probably improve your images beyond the point where you can no longer improve them?
Don’t for a single minute think, without knowing a thing about me or my work as a photographer and software developer that you can talk down to me like this. Arrogance in the extreme. Worse, you’re doing it without knowing who you are talking down to.

Unlike Mike, I choose to show some ethical restraint in promoting my software and don’t attempt to promote it under the veil of advise to people on Usenet.

Do you use this method of brow beating when you can’t force people who are long time Photoshop users and qualified, professional photographers into accepting you are right? You are a very Stupid person if you think you can.

We are all three right, just in our own range of defined activities.

Using Mike Russell’s stand in promoting curves when his business relies on him selling a PS plugin to manipulate them is reason enough to take anything he says here with a grain of salt. He has a financial interest in the use of curves to the exclusion of every other method of achieving the same end result.

What on earth made you think Mike Russell could teach me anything? In reality I could teach him a thing or two about ethical behaviour and "full disclosure" when giving out advise tainted with his motive to make money being a driving force in anything he says.

You know not a single thing about me, my career or my knowledge yet you set yourself up to judge I am a less knowledgeable person than someone who has defied the charter of this group for as long as I can remember to advertise his buggy and poorly thought out commercial software to do what? ALTER CURVES.

Why would he not seek to forcefully promote his opinion on curves? I make allowances for that in reading his posts.

What I don’t understand is what you expect to gain from talking down to me. Your work is no better and often not as good as mine. You don’t seem to know any more about PS than me or anyone other long time professional user.

Is it that I look like threatening your status in the group by sharing my differing opinion – that you need to belittle me to get your position on the subject cemented? You’re an ass if you think that.
JJ
John J
Dec 13, 2008
Jurgen wrote:

Don’t for a single minute think, without knowing a thing about me or my work as a photographer and software developer that you can talk down to me like this.

Is there somewhere where we can see your work, Jurgen?

Thank you,
J
N
nomail
Dec 13, 2008
Joel wrote:

With Curve you can make as many marks as you wish, but it won’t be easy to control all the marks at once.

Level has more than 3 sliders (somewhere around 12-14 sliders). No, you can’t move up and down like Curve but you can slide Left/Right anywhere you wish.

Levels has only three input sliders and two output sliders per channel, and their starting positions are all fixed. Curves has as many ‘sliders’ per channel as you want, and their starting position is anywhere you want it to be.

I don’t know anything about Apple but I don’t think it’s much or any different than Windows, and if Windows has more than 5 (12-14) then I bet Apple should be close to equal. But I am not MAC user so I may be wrong.

I was not talking about operating systems here, I was talking about a specific program called Aperture, which just happens to be written by Apple. Aperture has a more sophisticated implementation of levels (more sophisticated compared to Photoshop) with five sliders per channel. Furthermore, the starting point of three sliders can be moved at will. But even Aperture’s version of levels is not as versatile as curves.

N
nomail
Dec 14, 2008
Jurgen wrote:

Don’t for a single minute think, without knowing a thing about me or my work as a photographer and software developer that you can talk down to me like this. Arrogance in the extreme. Worse, you’re doing it without knowing who you are talking down to.

So show me. Give me an URL where I can see your work.

Is it that I look like threatening your status in the group by sharing my differing opinion – that you need to belittle me to get your position on the subject cemented? You’re an ass if you think that.

You said: "Curves could be dropped from Photoshop with zero loss of functionality too. I can’t find anything curves does that I can’t do with levels". That is not a matter of *opinion*. It’s a matter of having your *facts* wrong. It’s a *fact* that there are many things one can do with curves but not with levels. The fact that you state that you can’t find any of them, makes me believe your Photoshop skills are not at a very high level, and certainly not at the level of Mike’s. The fact that Mike happens to be the developer of an alternative to Photoshop’s own curves is irrelevant as far as I’m concerned. As a Mac user I cannot use his version even if I wanted to. It doesn’t change any of the *facts* he stated about curves.

MR
Mike Russell
Dec 14, 2008
On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 09:29:10 +1000, Jurgen wrote:

Don’t for a single minute think, without knowing a thing about me or my work as a photographer and software developer that you can talk down to me like this.

Well, as long as you brought it up, who are you? I am truly interested in your name and affiliation.

J
Joel
Dec 14, 2008

Joel wrote:

Levels has only three input sliders and two output sliders per channel, and their starting positions are all fixed. Curves has as many ‘sliders’ per channel as you want, and their starting position is anywhere you want it to be.

In general, just about most of Photoshop commands have 3 MAIN sliders for RGB and 2-3 additional sliders in the main menu. Then most if not all have sub-menu with multiple sliders for multiple color channels (more than 3 RGB), some commands you may end up with 20-40+ sliders.

So, even I don’t have Photoshop running at the moment I am pretty sure you are right about Curve has many addional sliders (sub-menu). I know what Curve does, and I still use it once awhile to boost up the contrast.

I was not talking about operating systems here, I was talking about a specific program called Aperture, which just happens to be written by Apple. Aperture has a more sophisticated implementation of levels (more sophisticated compared to Photoshop) with five sliders per channel. Furthermore, the starting point of three sliders can be moved at will. But even Aperture’s version of levels is not as versatile as curves.

Ohh.. if you talk about other thing than Photoshop then I am totally deaf, and sorry for the misunderstanding. I thought you were talking about Photoshop for MAC.
J
Joel
Dec 14, 2008
John J wrote:

Jurgen wrote:

Is there somewhere where we can see your work, Jurgen?

Now! you don’t need to go that way! me? I never care for what other people do, and I am very sure I can tell some basic but not 100% sure what the person does by looking at the work. Yes, for some newbie then I may be able to smell it, but with some dirty old goat then it won’t be easy.

Or *if* you can be able to tell exactly what a person uses just by looking at the photo, then my hat (even my HEAD) is OFF to you.

Thank you,
J
M
Misifus
Dec 16, 2008
John J wrote:
Joel wrote:

I find Levels useful, but not for lightening or darkening images. For that, Curves is what I use.

-Raf

Misifus-
Rafael Seibert
mailto:
Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rafiii
home: http://www.rafandsioux.com

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections