R
Posted By
roner
Apr 15, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I would like to know if someone can help me with this problem….I’m using Photoshop CS in a Mac G5 , 256 MB-RAM.

When i’m working with large image files, seems everything normal, but when i close the file and open it again, most of images are deformed, as increased pixels, whit out any shape. I’m a recently user of PS CS, but i’ve been working whit Phososhop in older versions and it had never happens before.

Please, i would like to know if is a memory problem or something else. Thanks

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

R
Ram
Apr 15, 2004
Are you by any chance opening and/or saving files over a network or to and from removable media? (If you are, don’t.)

Any chance you will put more RAM in that machine soon?
J
jonf
Apr 19, 2004
I don’t think RAM is his problem, as I work with less RAM than this and never have this problem. But I’m still on PS7…

Are you saving as a .psd file or something else? Are you receiving any warnings or dialogs when you save and close your files? Or when you open them?
R
Ram
Apr 19, 2004
jonf,

256MB of RAM in a G5 running Photoshop is a problem.

Before getting a new machine, I was running Photoshop 7.0.1 in 9.2.2 and had assigned 650MB of RAM to it. I would have given it more if I had been able to, but the FrankensteinG4 was maxed out at 768MB.

The new machine has 2GB of RAM (the max it’ll take), and I’m giving a full 1GB to Photoshop 7.0.1 in Classic. I plan to install CS (in OS X of course) in the next couple of weeks. In OS X, Photoshop can use up to 2GB of RAM, and the G5 can take 8MB of RAM.

256MB is really a paltry amount of RAM for that machine.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 19, 2004
<< I plan to install CS (in OS X of course) in the next couple of weeks. >>

So you are finding the black pussy cat less ferocious than you feared?!

:~)
R
Ram
Apr 19, 2004
Ann,

Well, the cat’s still pretty menacing, I’m just getting a little bolder myself. 🙂

Incidentally, I think I’ve figured out what caused the problems I had a few days ago with my mail preferences and other stuff. I had not realized that there was a crippled, trial version of MS Office X on the new computer, so Entourage X launched while I was doing something else in Entourage 2001 in the Classic environment. Then at one point the clock reset itself to a date in May (zapped the PRAM), I set it back, and the 30-day trial Office "expired", somehow deleting some files it had moved on its own.

Fortunately I recovered all the old mail messages, contacts and preferences. I only permanently lost the mail messages (both incoming and sent) for about two and a half days, April 14-17.

I’ve ordered CS directly from Adobe, so it should be here pretty soon if they ship from San Jose, which is about 110 miles SW from me. Hope that I have a better handle on Panther by then.

I installed Photoshop 7.0.1 on the separate straight-9.x drive, and I’ve been running in Classic under the Classic installation on the boot drive, where OS X is. I think this is what’s recommended if you want to keep both 8 and 7 running,
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 19, 2004
I have two copies of the same Photoshop 7 installed.
Both are on the System HD.

One is stored in "Applications (Mac OS 9)" and is set-up to open in Classic and can use all of my legacy plug-ins. (Any other applications that run in Classic are also installed in this location.)

The other copy of Photoshop 7 is stored in "Applications" and is set-up to run in OS X — in case I need it for anything.
Photoshop 8 and all other OSX applications are stored in this folder too.

This arrangement seems to work extremely well — at least the pussycat purrs contentedly.
R
Ram
Apr 19, 2004
Ann,

Yes, I phrased that pretty clumsily. I did not intend to say that Phsh 7 had to be on a separate drive, but rather that if you’re going to be running both 7 and 8, then 7 should run in Classic and not in OS X. In other words, I thought you couldn’t have both 7 and 8 running in Panther simultaneously, or can you?

I happen to have 7 on a separate drive anyway, but I didn’t mean to imply that’s necessary. I just didn’t want to make all those as-of-yet-unused drives feel unwanted. 🙂
R
Ram
Apr 19, 2004
Ann,

Should I install 7 in the OS X folder and set it to open in Panther before I install 8 when it gets here?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 20, 2004
I would install 7 in the OS X folder and set it to open in Panther before you install 8; but you may want to install a second copy (same serial number is OK) set to run in Classic if you have many legacy plug-ins.

You CAN run 7 and 8 simultaneously but you need to launch 7 before launching CS.

I prefer to keep all applications on my main System disk and keep the others for scratch and storage.
R
Ram
Apr 20, 2004
Ann,

Thanks for the tip on installing 7 in the OS X applications folder before 8.

I prefer to keep all applications on my main System disk and keep the others for scratch and storage.

Yes, but you’re not booting straight into native 9.2.2 any more. 😉
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 20, 2004
True — the G5s don’t let you do that.

But you can set Classic to launch at start-up and, once it has launched, it runs seamlessly.
R
Ram
Apr 20, 2004
Sure, but then a few things don’t like Classic. I bought LivePicture on your recommendation and those of others for the superior extract function, for instance. My $32,000+ TSS system hates Classic too.

That’s why I opted to go for the G4 instead of the G5, even though I would have gotten a huge discount (some $3,200 in savings) if I had bought a fully loaded G5 with 8MB of RAM from Apple.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 20, 2004
LP runs perfectly well in Classic for me. You do need to give it plenty of RAM though.

[I don’t have the pleasure of being acquainted with a $32,000+ TSS system!]
R
Ram
Apr 20, 2004
Ann,

I had elaborated on the TSS system in response to a specific question by Welles Goodrich a long time ago. (Actually, it cost considerably more than $32,000 at the time, and it will never be available for OS X.) See post #165 in this old thread.

Ramón G Castañeda "OS 9 holdouts vindicated" 5/22/03 9:18pm </cgi-bin/webx?13/163>

Those archived threads bring back memories of how I got trounced when I first visited this forum. My very first question was something like "what on Earth is this ‘ImageReady’ thing and can I safely delete it?". Then I asked how confident forum regulars were about Adobe’s continuing commitment to the Mac platform, and all hell broke loose… 😀
R
Ram
Apr 20, 2004
I’ll try LP in Classic, then. Somehow I was under the (mistaken) impression that you planned to keep your G4 just to run things like LP.

The TSS application does require a few other things like extensions that crash Classic on startup, probably because it’s not prepared to find OS X in control of some of the computer’s basic functions.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 20, 2004
There are very few programs that I still need to use which will run only in stand-alone 9.2.2.

UMAX’s MagicScan (I can’t abide VueScan unfortunately!) and Fontographer (which I only use rarely) are two of the few of the few — everything else that I use regularly either runs in Classic or has now been updated for Panther.
[It has been a very expensive year.]
R
Ram
Apr 20, 2004
I hadn’t thought about Fontographer. I got an awful lot of mileage out of that application for years. The whole thing came in a single floppy, too.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections