P
Posted By
Phosphor
Sep 27, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
And do I need to re-install Photoshop E. 2? This is what happened today for the first time: I set the canvas size to the size of the finished print that I want, 8×10". Then I open the scanned image which is 4×6". But when I copy and paste it into the canvas, the scanned image has become 8×10". Any ideas? Thank you.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 27, 2003
June, I’m not sure I completely understand your workflow…are you saying that when you copy and paste the scanned image onto the new canvas, it expands to fill the canvas? If that’s what’s happening, it’s likely because your scan is at a higher resolution (ppi) than your previously opened canvas. This would definitely occur if you pasted a 600 ppi 4×6 into a 300 ppi 8×10 – and you’d lose some of the image off the 10" edge. Is that what you’re seeing?

Chuck
P
Phosphor
Sep 27, 2003
Yes, my 4×6 is scanned at 600 and my canvas is set at 300 resolution, but in the past the scanned photo has pasted in at a size that’s relative to the canvas, which is what I want so that I can enlarge and manipulate it. I hope that makes sense – I’m new to this. I wonder if I accidentally changed a setting? Thanks for your reply.
CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 27, 2003
June, it won’t work that way – if you want the 4×6 to reside in its entirety on the 8×10 canvas in the proper ratio, you need to increase the blank canvas resolution to 600 ppi, the same as the scan. However, I’m not sure what function the 8×10 canvas is serving for you – are you trying to create a border around your 4×6 picture so it will fit in an 8×10 frame as if it were matted?

Chuck
P
Phosphor
Sep 27, 2003
Thanks Chuck, I’ll try that. What’s confusing me is that I haven’t had any trouble with this approach until today. My son set it up for me this way so that I could create my artwork at the size of the finished print, which I then paint from. He set the scanner to 600 because I would be enlarging small pictures by a lot – sometimes up to 11×14". I burn the finished file (changed to Acrobat?) to a CD in a PDF format and take it to Kinkos to have it printed. If I increase the resolution on the canvas to 600, will the file size be even bigger than it already is and is that a problem?
CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 27, 2003
June, the file will be bigger, but I don’t think Kinko’s would have any problem with it. I’m guessing they see a lot larger files than the ones you’ll be creating.
P
Phosphor
Sep 27, 2003
Thank you, Chuck! Matching up the resolutions worked.
CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 27, 2003
June, that’s great news! Hopefully, Kinko’s will do a good job with the files you’re creating.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections