SR
Posted By
Stacy_Roland
Apr 15, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
We are using Photoshop CS (Panther)… When using Photoshop 7, the word "copy" appeared at the end of the filename (before the suffix) regardless of where we were saving it. This option was wonderful for our workflow – there was never any "most recent" file confusion, you alaways new that the files that were labeled with "copy" were works in progress. Now in CS, the only time the word "copy" appears in the name is when we are trying to save the file to the same location as the original file. Is there a way to have that word inserted regardless of where the file is saved when using CS?

Thank you

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

MO
Mike_Ornellas
Apr 15, 2004
you gotta be kidding…
J
JasonSmith
Apr 15, 2004
Many of us lobbied to have it function the way it does now (and Adobe apparently listened).
L
LRK
Apr 15, 2004
True… Most of us are happier with the way it is in CS. Not sure if there’s a way to get it back in as I’ve not tried. Maybe in the Preferences?
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Apr 15, 2004
change your workflow.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Apr 15, 2004
Ah yes. I notice that the script I made to get rid of "copy" isn’t working in OS X just yet. I don’t grok the changes in folder actions yet. But here’s what I’ve noticed:

If you are saving from psd to a tiff for instance, with no channels or layers, if you uncheck channels and layers first, the word copy appears. However if you choose tiff as the format and then uncheck channels and layers, copy is not appended.

Works for me.

I have found that making this into an action seems to work only sometimes. Don’t know why. But I’m still less than a month into OS X and CS.
J
jonf
Apr 19, 2004
I am breathing a huge sigh of relief that the word "copy" no longer appends itself to so many files. What an irritation that was.

As a workflow suggestion, if you save with file extensions turned on, you should never have problems determining which files are your copies and which files are your originals. Save your original as a Photoshop .psd, and make your copies in whatever file format you require. Your files will be automatically named filename.psd, filename.tif, filename.eps, etc., and you should always know which one you want to work with.
GP
Graham_Phillips
Apr 21, 2004
Stacy, perhaps you could change the name of the folder that you place your copies into so that it ends in " copies". Then you could say that images you save into that folder are copies.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections