PA
Posted By
Patti Anderson
Sep 25, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have been playing with scanning and enhancing an old photo. This pretty "Lady in Wrap" is unnamed and was in a box of old family photos from my husband’s side. I was mesmerized by her picture. The photographer did an excellent job himself, but I thought I’d play with it in PE. See what you think…

<http://www.patchpieces.com/oldphotos.html>

Patti
P.S. Please realize if you look at the rest of my website, all photos and images were done pre-Photoshop Elements and I have not updated for quite awhile. My specialty is really Electric Quilt! 🙂

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

PD
Pete D
Sep 25, 2003
Patti,

I think you did a great job with her. Really. (and I find her fascinating also).

I downloaded and tried a levels adjustment just to see what detail was in there.

Enhance / Brightness contrast / levels I set the three sliders at (left to right) 31 1.48 240

PeteD
DH
Dave Hamer
Sep 25, 2003
Patti

Very good work, a vast improvement over the original without totally losing respect for the original.

Dave
PA
Patti Anderson
Sep 25, 2003
Pete,
Still being kind of new to PE, I haven’t played alot with levels…but I’m learning. I tried using Auto and the droppers and it looked just awful. How did you decide on these numbers? Did you just play with the sliders until you liked it? I tried your levels on the original scanned image and then held the actual photo up to the screen — amazing!

I am using a Compaq laptop with LCD, but I found its color to be *fairly* accurate…but then again, that’s only what I’m seeing.

Patti
P
Phosphor
Sep 25, 2003
Patti,

That’s awsome! The subject was good but you really made the final image "come alive" so to speak. Well done! Too bad you don’t know who it is.

Joe
PD
Pete D
Sep 25, 2003
Patti,

I always start with the "input" slider on the left moving it under the tallest peak nearest to that side, then the same for the right slider and finally the middle. It is all using the "peaks" of the histogram and what pleases your eye.

This is a tool that is very often my ‘first step’ in working on pictures because it affects color and clarity. Only rarely do I use the output.

It sure brings out detail doesn’t it!

PeteD
BS
Bernard Saper
Sep 26, 2003
Great!!!!!

I have been working with sepia tones for some time now. They add such beauty to a photograph.

Well done

"Patti Anderson" wrote in message
I have been playing with scanning and enhancing an old photo. This pretty
"Lady in Wrap" is unnamed and was in a box of old family photos from my husband’s side. I was mesmerized by her picture. The photographer did an excellent job himself, but I thought I’d play with it in PE. See what you think…
<http://www.patchpieces.com/oldphotos.html>

Patti
P.S. Please realize if you look at the rest of my website, all photos and
images were done pre-Photoshop Elements and I have not updated for quite awhile. My specialty is really Electric Quilt! 🙂

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections