NB
Posted By
Nicolaas Besseling
Sep 25, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
The line spacing in my text is all confused. I cannot find how to fix it; as a workaround I go to PhotoShop 5.5 to change it there. Can anyone tell me how to change it in PS Elements?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

P
Phosphor
Sep 25, 2003
Nicolaas, more detail on what’s happening would be helpful, but I’ll address it a little in general terms. For the most part, Elements doesn’t manage text very gracefully. That said, I can usually get acceptable results if I a) limit the amount of text to just a few lines, and b) put each line in on a separate layer. Trying to change lines by hitting the return key does produce some "unusual" effects, and then the lines can’t be moved individually, because everything is blended together one layer.

If you’ll post back with a more specific example, maybe we can come up with a suggestion or two.
NB
Nicolaas Besseling
Sep 26, 2003
I use PS Elements in Mac OS X, and sometimes PS 5.5 in OS 9 Classic. The last time I used 5.5, I typed text with a leading of 11 points. When I used Elements again, I typed text with 16 point font size and, strangely enough, the program applied the 11 point leading from 5.5. No way to reset the leading to automatic.

So I saved my file and re-opened it in 5.5. I had to retype the text (I could not edit the Elements text) and set the leading to automatic. I saved and re-opened in Elements. Now I can edit the text I created in 5.5, but also, whenever I type new text (on a new layer) the leading is back to automatic.

Interesting, isn’t it? Why would Elements use 5.5’s preferences for text leading? Why can’t I change the leading right there in Elements? Why do the manual and help files not talk about leading or line spacing?
P
Phosphor
Sep 26, 2003
My guess is that the manual doesn’t address those issues because Elements wasn’t designed to manage text in the same way full PS does, regardless of the version. I’ve been using Elements for over two years and have never seen reference to either option being available when working with Text. The line spacing issue, in particular, has come up a number of times, and I outlined the only known way to manage it in PSE. You’re the first person I remember even mentioning leading.

Just to clarify – does this happen now whenever you use text in any image, or does it happen just when you’re working on an image containing text that 5.5 has already had its paws on? I’m assuming the later.

Why not just install PSE on the OS 9 system so you can consistently work with the same program? PS 5.5 can stay on it, too, if you ever need to use it.
NB
Nicolaas Besseling
Sep 27, 2003
The leading problem happens every time I leave 5.5 with a setting other than automatic leading, even if I start a new file in PE. I don’t want to work in OS 9 anymore, so I’d rather not be dependent on PS 5.5 for setting the line spacing in PS Elements.
P
Phosphor
Sep 27, 2003
Try trashing the Elements preference folder after working with a PS 5.5 image in it. The problem probably won’t go away until you no longer are working on images that have been "exposed" to both applications.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections