GD
Posted By
Grant Dixon
Sep 25, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
We had rain on Monday. On my way home from work on Tuesday we had a nice sunset and there were these two puddles in a newly ploughed field. I looked at the images today. It was a quick shot with my despicable digi but I did use a spot meter for proper exposure. There is not cropping or manipulation what you see is what I got. I am reasonably pleased with the outcome and invite you to have a peek. click on the image for a larger view.

http://www.cavesofice.org/~grant/Puddles.html

Grant

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 25, 2003
Grant: A Despicable Digi in the hands of a Phantastic Photographer yields Incredible Images!

🙂

Chuck
PD
Pete D
Sep 25, 2003
Grant

Nice sunset shot. (pretty big puddles:)

PeteD
R
Ray
Sep 25, 2003
WOW!
P
Phosphor
Sep 25, 2003
Love it!

Juergen
B
bethC
Sep 25, 2003
I think the picture is wonderful. It has a great atmosphere about it. It would look great on a web page with the Java ‘lake effect’.

beth
P
Phosphor
Sep 25, 2003
Gorgeous, Grant!
P
Phosphor
Sep 25, 2003
Are you sure you despise this camera, Grant? <g>
CS
carl sutherland
Sep 25, 2003
Beautiful image Grant. Are you going to have that be a Challenge? I haven’t been able to keep up lately, but I think I have stopped traveling so much and can re-submit now.

Carl
I
imacgirl
Sep 25, 2003
Grant,

Outstanding image!

🙂

Barb
BG
Byron Gale
Sep 25, 2003
A clear case of the right person being in the right place at the right time… thanks for sharing it, Grant!
LG
Lorace Graham
Sep 25, 2003
How absolutely breathtaking!

Your puddles look like lakes.

I loved seeing it and the sun was just perfect.

Lorace
DH
Dave Hamer
Sep 25, 2003
Grant,

Excellent photo. Thanx for sharing.

Dave
LK
Leen Koper
Sep 25, 2003
Grant, nice shot.
Just a question: you used a spotmeter -that’s like e real PRO landscape photographer! Who still carries something like that. – for measuring; I suppose you measured the reflections. Did you use the built in meter too for a first grab shot? If so, how do these images relate to each other?

Leen
JF
Jodi Frye
Sep 25, 2003
Grant, forget the silver lining, you got the gold !
KL
Kenneth Liffmann
Sep 25, 2003
Grant,
Great photograph, contest material.
Ken
RC
Richard Coencas
Sep 25, 2003
Grant,

Great picture. Thanks for sharing it with the forum.

Rich
DS
Dick Smith
Sep 25, 2003
Cook, Grant, really great!

Dick

Using M2, Opera’s revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/
GD
Grant Dixon
Sep 25, 2003
Wow so many nice comments. Than you all.

Now to answer some of the questions.

Barbara: The cameras is like the little girl with the little curl and most times I do hate it but …..

Carl: No it is not up to snuff for the Challenge and in any event I do seem to dominate the Challenge too much.

Lorance: The closest puzzle was water that had collected at the side of the road in those run-off ditches, the other puddle was about 50′ buy 20′ so a bit large for a puddle.

Leen: This was taken with the spot meter in the camera. When I am out on a shoot I rely both on the meter in my F5 and a Sekonic L358 in this case it was just the "glove compartment" equipment, what I carry in my shirt pocket!.

Ken: I don’t do contest I have enough problem satisfying myself when it come to photography.

How it was done is a bit easy. I was coming home from work and the sky was spectacular. I was looking at the clouds and thinking I need some stock cloud shots. The shadows were getting longer and I figured I had to get home so was booting it. I saw the puddles off in the distance and I hammered on the breaks through it in reverse and there I was. I positioned my self very close to the side of the road and almost fell into the first puddle. I took a meter reading of cloud that I wanted to be displayed as 18%. I adjusted my position so the further puddle reflected the sun and the closer one the sky. I only shot two photos this one and one that was horizontal that accentuated the puddles more than the sky. In the end I went with my first feeling …. the sky.

Grant
ML
Marilyn Lee
Sep 26, 2003
Grant – Everything about your photo was lovely — the composition, the colors, the mood. You have a wonderful talent; thanks for sharing your photo.

Marilyn
L
lgreen2001
Sep 26, 2003
Grant……..

"I am reasonably pleased with the outcome…"

You are either a master of understatement or terribly critical of your own work………that shot is wonderful………..

Lynn
SD
Shrilly Drabble
Sep 26, 2003
It doesn’t matter what the camera was if the imagination is there to see what could happen. I love the picture.
I didn’t realise we could publish links for our own work here. thanks for the inspiration.
kind thoughts
Shrilly
AT
Andrew_Turek
Sep 30, 2003
We are again reminded that the most important component of any camera is the Nut on the Shutter!

Andrew
JH
Jim_Hess
Sep 30, 2003
OK, I’ll bite. How come I’m the only one, it seems, that gets an "object not found" error when I click on the link? I’m relatively new to this forum, so I guess I don’t know all the little secrets.
BH
Beth_Haney
Sep 30, 2003
I’m getting that now, too, Jim, even though I was able to get the link day before yesterday. Maybe Grant did some shuffling. This shouldn’t be one of the little secrets! 🙂
JC
Jane_Carter
Sep 30, 2003
I get the 404 too, but I just got home from vacation in Maine and NH, so maybe I am not doing something right. I sure do want to see Grants pictures!
Jane
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Sep 30, 2003
I’m getting the 404 error as well. Too bad, as I didn’t look at the images when the link was working.:-(

Joe
GD
Grant_Dixon
Sep 30, 2003
I am so sorry I took it down thinking that it was just of passing interest! It is now up for those who are gluttons for punishment.

Grant
JC
Jane_Carter
Oct 1, 2003
Hi Grant, This is one of the most lovely photos I have ever seen. You know how I love the sunsets, the ocean, and the landscapes.
Beautiful!
Thanks for sharing it with us,
Jane
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Oct 1, 2003
Thanks Grant. Very nice indeed!

Joe
ML
Marilyn_Lee
Oct 1, 2003
I came back for another look; glad to see the link had returned. Grant, your pictures are never in the category of "just a passing interest." I never tire of looking at beautiful pictures.

Marilyn
AT
Andrew_Turek
Oct 1, 2003
My thanks to the Nut. A superb photograph!

Andrew

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections