Photoshop CS, and now CS2 starts up fresh from time to time.

BP
Posted By
Bruce_Patrick
May 4, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
What is causing it to start up new? All the preferences are unlike what I have chosen (are now the default settings) as are the third party filter plug-ins needing registration all over again. Very frustrating.

I’m on Windows 2000, Service pack 4.

Thanks

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

B
BobLevine
May 4, 2005
Are you shutting Photoshop down properly?

Bob
C
chrisjbirchall
May 4, 2005
After setting everything as you like it, make a copy of the Preferences file. You can simply copy this back to its original location should the need arise.
BP
Bruce_Patrick
May 4, 2005
I’ll try that chris. Thanks
B
BobLevine
May 4, 2005
Note that you need to shut Photoshop down before you can do this. The prefs are written when the program closes.

Bob
BP
Bruce_Patrick
May 4, 2005
OK. Did shut it down, and sorry, I don’t see the preference file to copy Chris. (went to Programs, Adobe, PhotoshopCS2 and didn’t see it).

Bruce
C
chrisjbirchall
May 4, 2005
The file is called Adobe_Photoshop_CS2_Prefs.psp and it can be found in: Documents and Settings/user/Application_Data/Adobe/photoshop/9.0/Adobe_Pho toshop_CS2_settings
B
BobLevine
May 4, 2005
And I think it’s a hidden file so make sure you enable Windows to show them.

Bob
C
chrisjbirchall
May 4, 2005
I think it’s a hidden file

Not on mine Bob.
BP
Bruce_Patrick
May 4, 2005
Nope, not there. Sorry. How do I enable Windows to show all files? Bruce
C
chrisjbirchall
May 4, 2005
In Windows Explorer: Tools>Folder Options>View
BP
Bruce_Patrick
May 4, 2005
OK, I checked and Folders view was on.
Where I’m at is C Drive, Documents and Settings/All users/Application Data/Adobe/ and there are two files. One is Acrobat and the other is Updater.
I’m sorry, but cannot see photoshop/9.0/Adobe_Photoshop_CS2_settings .

What am I doing wrong?
Thanks
Bruce
C
chrisjbirchall
May 4, 2005
Bruce: You are in "All Users" instead of User. It may be you need to navigate to the folder with your User Name.

(Documents and Settings/ USER /Application_Data/Adobe/photoshop/9.0/Adobe_Photoshop_CS2_se ttings )
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
May 4, 2005
Bruce, Chris meant [your user name] with "user" in the filepath, not "all users".
Well, what he just said ;D
C
chrisjbirchall
May 4, 2005
Heh Pierre.

I’ve cross-posted before but never cross-edited <grin>
BP
Bruce_Patrick
May 4, 2005
You know, I’m fairly capable with this stuff, but I’m just not finding a "user" folder. Very frustrating that I’m doing something wrong and not seeing it.
I’m in C Drive, Documents and settings/and there are four folders; Administrator, All users, Default user and expc-1.

Well, it was in the EXPC-1 (instead of User) folder, so I found it! Do you think I should store a copy of the preference settings back a folder or two, or just put it in the Adobe folder in the programs area?
Thanks for your help guys!
Bruce
C
chrisjbirchall
May 4, 2005
Seek and ye shall find… <grin>

….and on the same subject – you can store it anywhere (anywhere you can remember where to find it in the dark and distant future, that is!)

Glad you’ve sorted it, and you’re very welcome.

Chris
RE
Robert_Enns
May 4, 2005
Just a thought but doesn’t Bruce have to remember which folder to put it back into? I’d type a little text file to go along with wherever he decides to store the copy.

Rob
BP
Bruce_Patrick
May 4, 2005
Good idea Rob. I’ll do that.
Thank you.
Bruce
RE
Robert_Enns
May 4, 2005
You’re welcome.
Aging minds (mine) need all the help they can get.

Rob
C
chuck
May 5, 2005
wrote:
What is causing it to start up new? All the preferences are unlike what I have chosen (are now the default settings) as are the third party filter plug-ins needing registration all over again. Very frustrating.

I’m on Windows 2000, Service pack 4.

Thanks
Do you run a registry cleaner by any chance? I have one that has some deep registry clean and wipes
my adobe settings if it run it.

chuck
BP
Bruce_Patrick
May 9, 2005
Hey you two, I have a new challange for you…….
I am on Photoshop CS2
I have a CD with multiple images I can see with the included exe player only. I plan to copy the screen images to the clipboard one at a time by hitting the print screen button, then with a photoshop action, save it to a folder on the desktop. Works but the image title is always "untitled-1" so it replaces the previous image.
How do I fix this problem?
Thanks for the help.
Bruce
DM
dave_milbut
May 9, 2005
usually images are placed in an exe to add copy protection. you wouldn’t be trying to steal anyones work would you? 😉
BP
Bruce_Patrick
May 10, 2005
AH, you’er so smart! This is a photographer that went out of business in 2003 and the customer only has this exe disk. Its made on Foto Angelo, which I have, but not the source files.
DM
dave_milbut
May 12, 2005
you need to talk to the photographer. copyright doesn’t expire just because he’s out of business…

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections