Vector data HEAVIER than pixel data… why?

S
Posted By
Smurfy
Nov 8, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Can someone tell me what I’m doing wrong here?

I’m trying to send a booklet to get printed at an outside printer.

First thing I did with one of the PSD files (the booklet is divided in "sheets") is convert all type to shape, so there are no problem font issues.

Then I flattened all image layers to save space.

Result : 35 MB file, which includes one layer for the pixel data, and a few for the type, which is now uneditable due to being converted to shape.

So far so good.

Then I try saving this 35 mb PSD file as a PDF file (which the printers now insist on) but the resulting file is gigantic. 900 MB! Not because of the pixel data (I’ve set Acrobat to not upsample or downsample in any way) but because of the vector data (formerly the text portions).

One of the "sheets" has as many as 16 layers of vector data (which I’d combine if I could, but Photoshop doesn’t seem to allow it, other than combining as a smart object, which rasterizes on the output – a bad thing). Removing the vector data and saving again confirms that these layers are the culprits.

Why is vector data several times heavier than pixel data in a PDF file? This makes no sense. How am I supposed to deliver this thing to the printer at 900mb per sheet, when 35mb was enough in PSD format?

Can anyone shed some light here?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

A
akphotog
Nov 8, 2008
I am going to safely assume you do not have InDesign. With InDesign, you have a variety of export to pdf options depending on how much compression you need. Photoshop is not really the program of choice for converting to PDF to go to the printer. So, that does not really help you….Every printer is different….but, if they are willing to help you a little bit, I would save each sheet as a .tif/cmyk with guides and have them drop it into InDesign and/or their templates.

"Evan Deez" wrote in message

First thing I did with one of the PSD files (the booklet is divided in "sheets") is convert all type to shape, so there are no problem font issues.

Result : 35 MB file, which includes one layer for the pixel data, and a few for the type, which is now uneditable due to being converted to shape.
So far so good.

Then I try saving this 35 mb PSD file as a PDF file (which the printers now insist on) but the resulting file is gigantic. 900 MB! Not because of the pixel data (I’ve set Acrobat to not upsample or downsample in any way) but because of the vector data (formerly the text portions).
One of the "sheets" has as many as 16 layers of vector data (which I’d combine if I could, but Photoshop doesn’t seem to allow it, other than combining as a smart object, which rasterizes on the output – a bad thing). Removing the vector data and saving again confirms that these layers are the culprits.

Why is vector data several times heavier than pixel data in a PDF file? This makes no sense. How am I supposed to deliver this thing to the printer at 900mb per sheet, when 35mb was enough in PSD format?
S
Smurfy
Nov 9, 2008
"robert_b" wrote in message
I would save each sheet as a .tif/cmyk with guides and have them drop it into InDesign and/or their templates.

This rasterizes the file, doesn’t it? I need that vector (text) data to remain vector, for the crispness.
A
akphotog
Nov 9, 2008
all things being equal, if you save your files to a minimum of 300 dpi at your prescribed dimensions you should be fine. But, I would HIGHLY recommend you getting InDesign.

"robert_b" wrote in message
I would save each sheet as a .tif/cmyk with guides and have them drop it into InDesign and/or their templates.

This rasterizes the file, doesn’t it? I need that vector (text) data to remain vector, for the crispness.
A
Anon
Nov 10, 2008

So far so good.

Evan,

Deal with the font problems. Converting fonts to vector shapes does increase the amount of data. While small amounts of text can be converted to shapes with little increase in file size, paragraphs of text converted to shapes can bloat the file size quickly.

A vector shape is a description of nodes, connecting lines, and fill areas. Round elements, common to letters, contain large numbers of nodes with short lines between them. Fonts include all the vector descriptions of each letter; the file only needs to contain the specific character and the font in which it should be rendered. Converting text to shapes means the full vector descriptions of each individual shape must be saved within the file.

Hi resolution TIFF is usually acceptable for most applications, however, for the most crisp lettering and scalability, EPS is a fine format (careful: some versions of PS output EPS as full raster images). Software for layout, such as InDesign, preserves the crisp scalable vector based fonts and handles overprinting for the best of both raster and vector elements. Just make sure to share the font files you used with your printer for compatiblity.

Scott

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections