Increasing ppi with out increasing the size of…..

JE
Posted By
James_Earl_Jones
Apr 14, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
the image. how do i increase the ppi with out affecting the size of the image. for ex. if i have an image set at 5 in x 7 in and the ppi is at 175, how do i change the ppi and not size………how about i repeat myself and ask the same ? 3 times.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
Buko
Apr 14, 2004
Image > Image size

make sure resample is checked.

choose bicubic smoother (if using CS)

now change just ppi.

hit return
JE
James_Earl_Jones
Apr 14, 2004
That is pretty crazy…..someone else on here was telling me never to resample. I will give it a shot. I just bought my first digital darkroom just recently, so i am learning as i go. Finally got my first quality print last night…couldn’t get any sleep I was so excited. thanks BUKO
B
Buko
Apr 14, 2004
.someone else on here was telling me never to resample

I didn’t say it was the best thing to do.

but you asked how it was done.

rescanning would be the best solution.
JE
James_Earl_Jones
Apr 14, 2004
So if I am coping the file from a cd to my hard drive, is this not good as scanning the image?
B
Buko
Apr 14, 2004
The file on the CD is already scanned.

rescanning at a higher rez would be best.
JE
James_Earl_Jones
Apr 14, 2004
so i guess i am screwed in that area…
L
LRK
Apr 14, 2004

[edited]

Nevermind… I misread your post. You can’t put in what’s not there to begin with. All you will be doing is adding to the file size.
JE
James_Earl_Jones
Apr 14, 2004
What does that mean? I am a virgin to digital imaging.
L
LRK
Apr 14, 2004
James: If your image is 5×7 at 175 ppi and you want to increase it to 300 ppi, there is nothing to be gained except increasing your file size. If you need it 300 ppi in order to incorporate it into another 300 ppi image, that’s different. But you will not gain anything by way of quality.
JE
James_Earl_Jones
Apr 14, 2004
so the only way to gain the quality would be by scanning in at a higher resolution…it that correct?
L
LRK
Apr 14, 2004
Yes, that is correct James.
JE
James_Earl_Jones
Apr 14, 2004
LRK…what you recommend for a scanner. something that is reasonably priced. no more than $300
L
LRK
Apr 14, 2004
James: I have not researched recent inexpensive scanners. I have this model. < http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?B V_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=335338>

I just found this link < http://www1.shopping.com/xGS-scanner+review~NS-1~linkin_id-3 039929> with a couple of decent reviews on lower priced scanners.
JE
James_Earl_Jones
Apr 14, 2004
guess i better start saving
G
graffiti
Apr 14, 2004
guess i better start saving

Check under the couch cushions.
L
LRK
Apr 14, 2004
…. or start visiting bus stops with a scoop. 🙂
JE
James_Earl_Jones
Apr 14, 2004
you guys are pretty funny! 🙂
L
LRK
Apr 14, 2004
🙂
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Apr 14, 2004
If I kiss you, I like you.

If I barf on you, I like you more.

If I do both, I really like you.

If I do both at the same time, watch out.
L
LRK
Apr 14, 2004
Oi! Not sure what to make of that one. 🙂
DK
Doug_Katz
Apr 14, 2004
(Oy)
L
LRK
Apr 14, 2004
Oy! That’s right… a total slipup Doug. Thanks for setting me straight. It won’t happen again. 🙂
P
progress
Apr 14, 2004
Oi,..its "Oi"…unless your phonetic all of a sudden 😉
L
LRK
Apr 14, 2004
Really? You mean I had it right all along?

Look <http://www.oy.freehosting.net/> what I just found. 🙂
DK
Doug_Katz
Apr 14, 2004
As you wish. Keep in mind there are authorities beyond us… and beyond the websites. Nobel Prize winner Isaac Bashevis Singer comes immediately to mind though by no means is he the only one. It’s "oy."

But then again, the verb is "fantasy" not "fantasize" yet no one really buys that nowadays either.
L
LRK
Apr 14, 2004
Oy it is! 🙂
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Apr 15, 2004
barf!
L
LRK
Apr 15, 2004
Hm…
G
graffiti
Apr 15, 2004
barf!

You sure that’s not "barph"?
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Apr 15, 2004
The only thing that I’m sure of is the lack of clear vision in our government.

but talas, it’s inappropriate to spread dis-semeniation to strangers in a place that only exist in some creators mind.
L
LRK
Apr 15, 2004
In the words of one of our notorious forum participants :)… "I’m cornfused".
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Apr 15, 2004
you should be.
C
Cindy
Apr 15, 2004
James,

The Epson 3200 is a pretty good scanner. It is what I have. < http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?B V_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=27766185>
L
LRK
Apr 15, 2004
That’s a reasonable price Cindy… especially with the rebate.
R
Ram
Apr 15, 2004
Alas, the rebate expired on 3/31/04. 🙁
J
jonf
Apr 19, 2004
Back to original post … I’m reading his question differently, I think. If he wants to increase the ppi without affecting the image size he needs to go to Image Size, leave Resample unchecked, then type in the new ppi. That will leave the image size the same, but it will change the dimensions of his image. Unless by "image size" he means the physical dimensions, and not the amount of data stored in the image. If he checks the "Resample" box, the dimensions will stay the same, but the total size of the file will increase.
R
Ram
Apr 19, 2004
jonf,

Read JEJ’s post again:

i have an image set at 5 in x 7 in and the ppi is at 175, how do i change the ppi and not size………

He wants to retain a 5"x7" image but change its "ppi". That can only be accomplished by re-sampling. In other words, he wanted to send more pixels to the printer to print the same-size print.

Hence the comments by the various posters about not gaining any new detail.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections