BF
Posted By
Bruce Feist
Sep 24, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My mother board is malfunctioning, and I’m planning on replacing it with a dual CPU model. I run Windows/2000, and Elements 2.0 is probably my most-used application. Which CPUs and mother boards would work out best? Should I stick with Intel, or will AMD do?

Thanks,
Bruce Feist

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

P
Phosphor
Sep 24, 2003
Bruce,
I have only owned one AMD motherboard, it had to be replaced twice. Now I don’t know if this is indicative of AMD or not, but, I would stay with Intel. Just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

Bruce
P
Phosphor
Sep 24, 2003
I understand Adobe tests their products using Intel processors. We have a number of people on the forum using AMDs, and I can think of one or two minor problems reported, but I don’t remember if those were with single or dual processor models. Generally, I think AMDs are fine, but if I were you, and Elements was my most heavily used app, I’d go with the processor on which the software had been tested.
P
Phosphor
Sep 24, 2003
In all my years of using AMD processors, I have never had any issues with any program.
AV
Aart van Wijk
Sep 24, 2003
On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 06:25:23 -0700, "Bruce Feist" wrote:

My mother board is malfunctioning, and I’m planning on replacing it with a dual CPU model. I run Windows/2000, and Elements 2.0 is probably my most-used application. Which CPUs and mother boards would work out best? Should I stick with Intel, or will AMD do?

Thanks,
Bruce Feist
Use since at least 10 years ASUS boards. A few single cpu machines and always on my graphical workstation a double with Intel cpu’s. It may cost a bit more but it is quite stable. (right word for not letting me down?)

Aart
EM
Elena Murphy
Sep 24, 2003
Just FYI, the Elements 2 box specifically states (under the system requirements) "Intel Pentium processor". So if you DO get an AMD board, you won’t get any support from Adobe (probably) if you have problems.
CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 24, 2003
Running Elements and PS here on an Athlon for the last couple years with no problems….so far!

🙂
P
Phosphor
Sep 24, 2003
I’ve got Elements installed on one of our Win machines running an AMD, too, and haven’t had any trouble. I may be making this up or confusing it with something else, but I do seem to remember someone with a dual processor AMD set up that was having some trouble. Richard advised shutting down one of the processors, if I recall. Is it possible the duals are more finicky than the singles? I sure wouldn’t have any personal knowledge of how to live with a dual processor computer! 🙂 I can, though, dream.
BF
Bruce Feist
Sep 25, 2003
Interesting — I’ve been running with AMD processors as well, and the motherboards (SOYO Dragon series) have been dying at about the rate of one a year. I don’t know why; I haven’t been overclocking or doing anything unusual. I’ve chalked it up to either just bad luck or something environmental that I haven’t identified. For some reason, the capacitors start to corrode.

Maybe it’s time to try something different.
P
Phosphor
Sep 25, 2003
Bruce, that sounds like my wife! She’s got some sort of energy zone around her that destroys all hardware and software. It’s amazing. 🙂
PD
Peter Duniho
Sep 25, 2003
"Bruce Feist" wrote in message
Interesting — I’ve been running with AMD processors as well, and the motherboards (SOYO Dragon series) have been dying at about the rate of one a year. […] For some reason, the capacitors start to corrode.

Try a new motherboard. A couple of years ago, some poorly made capacitors found their way into the motherboard market, especially on some of the less-expensive models. The capacitors leak after a short time in operation.

You may be able to get your motherboard manufacturer to send you a new motherboard. But if not, a new motherboard should not cost too terribly much.

Here’s an article that discusses the issue:
http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/resource/feb03/ncap.htm l

As far as Intel vs AMD goes…I don’t use any AMD computers, but AMD has a very good reputation for compatibility. Also, even though the Elements box says "Intel", it would be pretty foolish for Adobe to refuse support on an AMD machine. They have a significant portion of the market now, which means Adobe would be shutting out a significant number of customers with such a policy.

Pete
BF
Bruce Feist
Sep 25, 2003
That’s fascinating information about the leaky capacitors! Given that SOYO apparently hasn’t admitted to any problems, I don’t think that I’ll be getting a free replacement. But nonetheless, it’s nice to have a possible explanation. I’m going to pass that message on to my repair guy.
RC
Richard Coencas
Sep 25, 2003
Beth,

There is a problem with Online Services on Dual processors that might require a user to turn off one of the processors temporarily. It only seems to effect this one thing, and since there are a just a few recipes and downloads, unless you are a heavy Shutterfly user, it should not be a big problem.

Elena is of course correct about the support issue, but many people run and enjoy Adobe products on AMD systems without problem. I think Bruce’s problem as Peter indicates may have more to do with the SOYO motherboards then with the AMD processor.

Rich
P
Phosphor
Sep 25, 2003
I knew there was something about the dual processor models. Thanks for clarifying that it was effecting only the online services. Do you know if this happens on any dual – AMD, Intel, Mac – or was it limited?
RC
Richard Coencas
Sep 25, 2003
Beth,

I believe that it is any dp machine, but don’t quote me on that.

Rich
P
Phosphor
Sep 25, 2003
OK, but it always makes me feel so important to say "Rich says…" 🙂
M
Mountaindew1434
Jan 20, 2004
On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 06:25:23 -0700, "Bruce Feist" wrote:

Thanks,
Bruce Feist

You can Check out www.Cheapguyscomputers.com they have tons of boards but it all depends on your budget for that program alone anthlon Xp chip and board will do find i’d just make sure you have 512 ram or higher and at least a 2500+ Chip.

Bestbuy Tech,
Justin Faulk

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections