Microfilm into wall size poster please??

S
Posted By
slakka
Oct 20, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Dear NG,
I wonder how to move foward with the above header please? Any pointers would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

slakka

rec.photo.digital , soc.libraries.talk ,rec.photo.film
+labs ,alt.graphics.photoshop ,misc.business.records-
mgmt ,rec.photo ,rec.photo.darkroom ,rec.photo.equipment. 35mm,comp.periphs.scanners

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

DJ
Digital John
Oct 20, 2008
Ask Maxwell Smart.

"slakka" wrote in message
Dear NG,
I wonder how to move foward with the above header please? Any pointers would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

slakka

mgmt ,rec.photo ,rec.photo.darkroom ,rec.photo.equipment. 35mm,comp.periphs.scanners
DJ
Digital John
Oct 20, 2008
What language is "fu set" ?????????????????

"John McWilliams" wrote in message
Digital John wrote:
Ask Maxwell Smart.

Dear NG,

slakka

fu set
V
Voivod
Oct 20, 2008
On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 23:09:25 -0700, "Digital John" scribbled:

What language is "fu set" ?????????????????

"Follow-Up Set"

It’s usenet language, you know, that place you’re at right now that you know nothing about…
J
jaSPAMc
Oct 20, 2008
slakka found these unused words:

Dear NG,

slakka
Film scanner at highest ppi input.
P
Pat
Oct 20, 2008
On Oct 20, 12:58 am, slakka wrote:
Dear NG,
I wonder how to move foward with the above header please?  Any pointers would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

slakka

You’ll either have to scan the microfilm at a very high resolution or make an inter-negative.

Ideally you can find someone with an old 35mm camera hooked to a microscope. You could then shoot an inter-neg using ortho film and get a pretty good image off of it.
DJ
Digital John
Oct 20, 2008
Just get as high as possible resolution drum scan of the original film. Internegs, microscopes, etc will only degrade the final image.

"Pat" wrote in message
On Oct 20, 12:58 am, slakka wrote:
Dear NG,

slakka

You’ll either have to scan the microfilm at a very high resolution or make an inter-negative.

Ideally you can find someone with an old 35mm camera hooked to a microscope. You could then shoot an inter-neg using ortho film and get a pretty good image off of it.
J
jjs
Oct 20, 2008
Dear NG,

The microfilm I work with is strips of film with the same dimensions as 35mm film EXCEPT it has no sprocket holes. Beware that the Nikon Coolscans use sprocket holes to register (align frames) so the strip feeder will not work. At all. You can’t even force it to expose. It considers the nondetection of sprocket holes an error.

A work-around is to mount it as a 35mm slide and then scan it.

Given that microfilm is pure black-and-white, you can scan at a high resolution and do some good work with photoshop to refine edges, if necessary.

Otherwise you might be better off shipping the film to a custom photographic printer (many available) who can print right to a very large paper.
P
Pat
Oct 21, 2008
On Oct 20, 2:22 pm, "Digital John" wrote:
Just get as high as possible resolution drum scan of the original film. Internegs, microscopes, etc will only degrade the final image.

Microfilm is all generally ortho, so you can reproduce it pretty well without well without degradation.

"Pat" wrote in message

Dear NG,

slakka

Ideally you can find someone with an old 35mm camera hooked to a microscope.  You could then shoot an inter-neg using ortho film and get a pretty good image off of it.
T
Tacit
Oct 21, 2008
In article ,
Sir F. A. Rien wrote:

Film scanner at highest ppi input.

Even a top-of-the-line consumer-grade film scanner is not going to have sufficient resolution for that extreme an enlargement. This is definitely a job for a drum scanner. Take the original to a service bureau and pay for a drum scan.

Photography, kink, polyamory, shareware, and more: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
B
bino
Oct 21, 2008
"John J" wrote in message
Dear NG,

The microfilm I work with is strips of film with the same dimensions as 35mm film EXCEPT it has no sprocket holes. Beware that the Nikon Coolscans use sprocket holes to register (align frames) so the strip feeder will not work. At all. You can’t even force it to expose. It considers the nondetection of sprocket holes an error.

Given that microfilm is pure black-and-white, you can scan at a high resolution and do some good work with photoshop to refine edges, if necessary.

Otherwise you might be better off shipping the film to a custom photographic printer (many available) who can print right to a very large paper.

Really? I’ve never tried this with my 8000ED, but it seems it wants to see the black of the film between the first and second frame, and after that, it’s good. Of course, I defer to your actual experience.
T
Toby
Oct 22, 2008
Litho film as an interneg will give you a hard edge at boundaries, so it will "sharpen" text and halftone images, but it might not work well if you have continuous tone.

Toby

"Digital John" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

"Pat" wrote in message
Dear NG,

slakka

T
Toby
Oct 22, 2008
I have made glass carriers out of glass slide mounts for my Coolscan and used the normal slide adapter. Sprocket holes or no, it works well. The big advantage is that it holds the film completely flat, which is helpful in maintaining sharpness with the very limited DOF of Coolscan scanners. Dust is, of course, a problem, but can be sorted out quite easily in Photoshop.

Toby

"bino" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Dear NG,

Really? I’ve never tried this with my 8000ED, but it seems it wants to see the black of the film between the first and second frame, and after that, it’s good. Of course, I defer to your actual experience.
S
slakka
Oct 22, 2008
On Oct 22, 4:24 am, "Toby" wrote:
I have made glass carriers out of glass slide mounts for my Coolscan and used the normal slide adapter. Sprocket holes or no, it works well. The big advantage is that it holds the film completely flat, which is helpful in maintaining sharpness with the very limited DOF of Coolscan scanners. Dust is, of course, a problem, but can be sorted out quite easily in Photoshop..
Toby

"bino" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Dear NG,

Really?  I’ve never tried this with my 8000ED, but it seems it wants to see the black of the film between the first and second frame, and after that, it’s good.  Of course, I defer to your actual experience.- Hide quoted text –

– Show quoted text –

Great stuff!
Where could I go to have this done commercially?
I live in N.Y.C.
P
Pat
Oct 22, 2008
On Oct 22, 4:20 am, "Toby" wrote:
Litho film as an interneg will give you a hard edge at boundaries, so it will "sharpen" text and halftone images, but it might not work well if you have continuous tone.

I’ve never worked to much with microfilm, but I don’t remember ever seeing any with continuous tone (or color). I think it would much harder to deal with the grain on really small images if you had anything but a litho film.

But a inter-neg on litho, from a litho original is going to be a pretty faithful repro. — and of course you can then go as big as you want without any grain.

Toby

"Digital John" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

"Pat" wrote in message
Dear NG,

slakka

Ideally you can find someone with an old 35mm camera hooked to a microscope.  You could then shoot an inter-neg using ortho film and get a pretty good image off of it.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections