no_spam_please
Sep 13, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello.
I have an image, that is smaller than the canvas,
and I want to shrink the canvas size to fits the width & height of the image.

How can I do than ?

Thanks 🙂

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

A
Avery
Sep 13, 2008
On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 16:08:11 +0300, "Mr. X." wrote:

Hello.

How can I do than ?

Thanks 🙂
Press F1 and have really good look around.
D
Dave
Sep 13, 2008
On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 23:20:20 +1000, Avery
wrote:

Hello.

How can I do than ?

Thanks 🙂

Exactly.. try to find something yourself
J
jaSPAMc
Sep 13, 2008
Dave found these unused words:

On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 23:20:20 +1000, Avery
wrote:

Hello.

How can I do than ?

Thanks 🙂

HINT, the term is ‘crop’ not shrink !
— "Mr. Y"
F
Fred
Sep 13, 2008
Hello.

How can I do than ?

Thanks 🙂

Image > Trim.
GW
Graham Waiffers
Sep 13, 2008
Fred wrote:
Hello.

How can I do than ?

Thanks 🙂

Image > Trim.

Of course you could also adjust the canvas size in the Canvas Size dialogue to match the size of the image in the Image Size dialog. It seems that the poster enjoys having PS users post answers rather than actually spending 2 minutes trying to figure it out.

Tim Tayshen

The poster formerly known as Graham Waiffers, Roger Thaat, Watson deMeneux or Jack Skwaht.
JJ
John J
Sep 14, 2008
Tim Tayshen wrote:

Of course you could also adjust the canvas size in the Canvas Size dialogue to match the size of the image in the Image Size dialog.

Which is one truly half-assed way to do the job, but what the hey, it’s all play, right?
T
Tacit
Sep 14, 2008
In article <6qXyk.9759$>,
Tim Tayshen wrote:

Of course you could also adjust the canvas size in the Canvas Size dialogue to match the size of the image in the Image Size dialog.

No, you can’t. The Image Size command will always show you the size of the canvas. Try it.

Photography, kink, polyamory, shareware, and more: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
F
Fred
Sep 14, 2008
Hello.

How can I do than ?

Thanks 🙂

Image > Trim.

Of course you could also adjust the canvas size in the Canvas Size dialogue to match the size of the image in the Image Size dialog. It seems that the poster enjoys having PS users post answers rather than actually spending 2 minutes trying to figure it out.

Tim Tayshen

The poster formerly known as Graham Waiffers, Roger Thaat, Watson deMeneux or Jack Skwaht.

Then again, maybe English is not his native language and he has trouble understanding the helpfiles,
as I had, years ago, due to a lack of knowing the right vocabulary to look for almost anything.
Anyhow, I don’t care. I’m glad if it helps. I only typed 2 words!
D
Dave
Sep 14, 2008
On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 17:08:58 +0200, "Fred" wrote:

Hello.

How can I do than ?

Thanks 🙂

Image > Trim.

Tim Tayshen

Then again, maybe English is not his native language and he has trouble understanding the helpfiles,
as I had, years ago, due to a lack of knowing the right vocabulary to look for almost anything.

"English is not his native language and he has trouble understanding the help files," but… he understands everything said here? I do not think scrutinizing would be necessary to realize English is only a 2nd or even 3rd language for me, but on another (4th language) group, I am helping people in their language.

If he can understand this messages, how on earth can he not understand the help files which is in the same language? To many people see this groups as the help files.
W
wishabhish
Sep 14, 2008
Go to image menu – canvas size & change the image area
D
Dave
Sep 14, 2008
On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 09:15:41 -0700 (PDT), ""
wrote:

Go to image menu – canvas size & change the image area

quoting someone else. Can you not speak for yourself?
N
nomail
Sep 14, 2008
Tim Tayshen wrote:

And did YOU spend 2 minutes to try out your own suggestion?…

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.com
F
Fred
Sep 14, 2008
If he can understand this messages, how on earth can he not understand the help files which is in the same language? To many people see this groups as the help files.

I’m speaking from experience, I didn’t have a clue what to look for in the helpfiles
when I started this adventure.
What’s the purpose of this group, anyway?
D
Dave
Sep 14, 2008
On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 22:12:44 +0200, "Fred" wrote:

To help people not being able to find a solution
AFTER they did effort themselves.
DN
Dave Non Grata
Sep 14, 2008
On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 15:40:53 +0200, Dave wrote:

Why don’t you two AIDS-ridden faggots crawl back in the closet and go back to buggering each other? If you’re not willing to help someone, then shut the fuck up.

Goddamn trolls. Every one of you should die painfully. I’d say raped to death in prison, but you’d probably like that.
O
OM
Sep 14, 2008
On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 22:12:44 +0200, "Fred" wrote:

….Dave thinks it’s his private ego masturbation playground. Just killfile him like most sane people around here have done and put him out of our misery. He’s just a scumbag troll.

OM

]=====================================[
] OMBlog – http://www.io.com/~o_m/omworld [
] Let’s face it: Sometimes you *need* [
] an obnoxious opinion in your day! [
O
OM
Sep 14, 2008
On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 22:36:44 -0400, tacit wrote:

In article <6qXyk.9759$>,
Tim Tayshen wrote:

No, you can’t. The Image Size command will always show you the size of the canvas. Try it.

….All of Dave and his ilk aside, it depends on the nature of the image:

* If the image is on a layer, and the area surrounding the image is transparent, then simply selecting the entire image <CTRL-A>, then copying it <CTRL-C>, creating a new image <CTRL-N> – which will automatically be sized to the minimum constrains of the pixel data in the layer – and then pasting to the new image <CTRL-V> will do the job.

* If the image is not on a new layer, you can select the area of the image you want, then just crop the image. There’s several ways to do a selection, but using a Rectangular Lasso tool is the quick-n-dirty method, and can be made more precise by using Guides.

….Now, if you’re using Forte Agent for a newsreader, let me know and I can give you tips on how to send Dave to Killfile Hell 🙂

OM

] OMBlog – http://www.io.com/~o_m/omworld [
] Let’s face it: Sometimes you *need* [
] an obnoxious opinion in your day! [
JJ
John J
Sep 14, 2008
Fred wrote:

I’m speaking from experience, I didn’t have a clue what to look for in the helpfiles
when I started this adventure.

Take the HELP menu, then in the Search window, type HELP. It works.
A
Avery
Sep 15, 2008
On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 16:56:51 -0500, Dave Non Grata <???@???.???> wrote:

On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 15:40:53 +0200, Dave wrote:

Why don’t you two AIDS-ridden faggots crawl back in the closet and go back to buggering each other? If you’re not willing to help someone, then shut the fuck up.

Goddamn trolls. Every one of you should die painfully. I’d say raped to death in prison, but you’d probably like that.

And you of course have so wonderfully helpful to the OP. Thank you.
A
Avery
Sep 15, 2008
On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 17:08:58 +0200, "Fred" wrote:

Hello.

How can I do than ?

Thanks 🙂

Image > Trim.

Tim Tayshen

Fred when I press F1 and type in canvas size, a phrase that the OP apparently knows , I get the following

"The Canvas Size command lets you add or remove work space around an existing image. You can also
use the command to crop an image by decreasing the canvas area. In ImageReady, added canvas appears in the same color or transparency as the background. In Photoshop, there are several options for the
background of the added canvas. If your image has a transparent background, the added canvas is transparent."

I don’t see this as being any more linguistically challenging than any other reply
RG
Roy G
Sep 15, 2008
"Mr. X." wrote in message
Hello.

How can I do than ?

Thanks 🙂

I would not worry about anyone offending this guy, because I am fairly certain he never reads any of the answers supplied.

He has asked a lot of questions, and sometimes got quite complicated answers, (in addition to some sharp ones), but he has never once responded to any of them or asked for a further clarification of any answer. Nor has he ever offered any thanks for helpfull answers.

Roy G
D
Dave
Sep 15, 2008
On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 16:51:06 +0100, "Roy G"
wrote:

"Mr. X." wrote in message
Hello.

How can I do than ?

Thanks 🙂

I would not worry about anyone offending this guy, because I am fairly certain he never reads any of the answers supplied.

He has asked a lot of questions, and sometimes got quite complicated answers, (in addition to some sharp ones), but he has never once responded to any of them or asked for a further clarification of any answer. Nor has he ever offered any thanks for helpfull answers.

Roy G

I am glad you noticed it, Roy.
here:
….Subject: Re: Questions on some effects using photoshop. ….Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2008 12:20:12 +0200
I explained to him exactly how to do what he asked for
and even supplied a link to a download he would need.
Bet you he downloaded it, but no feed back.
That is why I kill filled scum like OM and ignore the other trolls like said poster.

Dave
JF
John Forest
Sep 15, 2008
This seems like a simple problem. Just select the blank canvas with the magic wand tool. (Set it to a low tolerance so it won’t select parts of the picture close to the same color at the edges of the frame.) and then inverse the selection. Then EDIT>CROP
JF
John Forest
Sep 15, 2008
Sorry, I meant IMAGE>CROP, not EDIT>CROP
T
Tacit
Sep 16, 2008
In article ,
OM wrote:

* If the image is on a layer, and the area surrounding the image is transparent, then simply selecting the entire image <CTRL-A>, then copying it <CTRL-C>, creating a new image <CTRL-N> – which will automatically be sized to the minimum constrains of the pixel data in the layer – and then pasting to the new image <CTRL-V> will do the job.

You could do that, but it’s not necessary. Instead, hold down Control (Mac: Command) on the keyboard and click the layer’s thumbnail in the Layers palette. This selects the layer. Then Image->Crop. Viola!

Photography, kink, polyamory, shareware, and more: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
F
Fred
Sep 16, 2008
Hello.

How can I do than ?

Thanks 🙂

Image > Trim.

Of course you could also adjust the canvas size in the Canvas Size dialogue to match the size of the image in the Image Size dialog. It seems
that the poster enjoys having PS users post answers rather than actually spending 2 minutes trying to figure it out.

Tim Tayshen

The poster formerly known as Graham Waiffers, Roger Thaat, Watson deMeneux
or Jack Skwaht.

Fred when I press F1 and type in canvas size, a phrase that the OP apparently knows , I get the
following

"The Canvas Size command lets you add or remove work space around an existing image. You can also
use the command to crop an image by decreasing the canvas area. In ImageReady, added canvas appears
in the same color or transparency as the background. In Photoshop, there are several options for the
background of the added canvas. If your image has a transparent background, the added canvas is
transparent."

I don’t see this as being any more linguistically challenging than any other reply

See, and the fastest, most accurate way is: Image > Trim. There goes the helpfile 🙂

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections