Question about erasing to transparency . . .

SS
Posted By
Stan Shankman
Aug 3, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Greetings all,

Sometimes when in RGB mode, and I want to erase to transparency, I can’t do it. So, what I do is make my image an "indexed" image and then check the "transparency" box. Then, I switch back to RGB mode and then I can erase the way I wanted to. But, this seems like a lot of rigmarole to me.

So, my question:

How would an expert enable transparency in RGB mode?

Thanks all,
– Stan Shankman

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

N
nomail
Aug 3, 2003
Stan Shankman wrote:

Sometimes when in RGB mode, and I want to erase to transparency, I can’t do it. So, what I do is make my image an "indexed" image and then check the "transparency" box. Then, I switch back to RGB mode and then I can erase the way I wanted to. But, this seems like a lot of rigmarole to me.
So, my question:

Transparency cannot be achieved on a background layer, only on a normal layer. Double click the background layer to make it a normal layer. Now you can erase to transparency.

Johan W. Elzenga jwe<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/
SS
Stan Shankman
Aug 3, 2003
So, my question:

Transparency cannot be achieved on a background layer, only on a normal layer. Double click the background layer to make it a normal layer. Now you can erase to transparency.

Wow! That’s so simple – and for as long as I have been using Photoshop, I have never been able to figure that out. I probably should have paid more attention to the "Background" and "Layer" distinction. Every once in a while the need to know resurfaced, but I got so use to performing my little "trick", that I guess I just "gave up" on trying to do it right.

Anyway, I just found this newsgroup, so I thought I would post that question. And now I’m very glad I did! It’s one of those things that’s hard to figure out on my own, but easy to learn once a knowledgeable source comes along.

So thank you Johan! And thank you Usenet!

– Stan Shankman

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections