Does Photoshop handle high res/large files better than PSP9?

KW
Posted By
Kaleidoscope_Webs
May 3, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m doing a large format print right now in PSP9 for one of my clients, and I have never had much luck doing this kind of work (I usually do web graphics – much smaller). I have no problem with the layouts, etc., but my computer chokes up on the large size images at high resolution. (My current project is 48" x 36" at 300ppi.

I have a fairly new PC. It has 1GB of Dual SDRAM, a 3.2Ghtz processor and 100GB of free hard disk space, so I can’t imagine I should need a whole lot more???? I generally use Paint Shop Pro 9 for my print work, but I am considering moving to Photoshop, if it will solve this issue I’m having handling large files. We run on WindowsXP Professional. I’m just stumped. How do you manage to work with such large file sizes for the high resolution prints without your system locking up? Is life better in Photoshop than PSP?

Thanks for any input!

Rebekah

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

B
BobLevine
May 3, 2005
For that type of image, I’d suggest at least four gigs if you have PS CS2, but I gotta ask…just what in the world do you need that kind of resolution for.

Anything that big shouldn’t need a resolution of more than 100-125 ppi.

Bob
KW
Kaleidoscope_Webs
May 3, 2005
Well – it’s a graphic for a jury in a court case. I agree, that much resolution will be lost at that size, but it’s the "printer" requirement by the print house I’m using.

Have you had any luck getting Photoshop to handle files of that size more gracefully than PSP9? I have a trial of Photoshop and am trying to decide if it is worth the learning curve to make the leap. If it would handle large files like that gracefully, it would be worth it.

Thanks so much for your reply!

Rebekah
B
BobLevine
May 3, 2005
I can’t think of too many programs that are going to handle a file that large gracefully.

Bob
BH
Bobby_Henderson
May 3, 2005
I’ve run across service bureaus that demand the 300ppi thing regardless of size. And I think that practice is pretty silly. Any decent large format RIP is going to be able to perform good interpolation functions, provided that the original art is not too low in resolution.

Robert is right, you don’t really need anything more than 100ppi to 125ppi for that kind of an image. The best thing to do is build up the Photoshop file at that more manageable resolution. Then to a "select all">"copy merged">"file new">"paste" thingie. Flatten that new file and then resample it to 300ppi. Just make sure all your other files and apps are closed when you do it. A 48" X 96" image at 300ppi will create a file well over 1GB in size.

If the artwork has any vector objects in it (logos, text blocks, etc.) you may get better results bringing raster elements from Photoshop into an Illustrator document and getting that file printed. The vector objects will print at the large format printer’s maximum resolution. Pretty good method to use for some point of purchase ad display stuff.
C
Corey
May 4, 2005
Another idea is to use vector graphics when possible and use a lower resolution. Then save as a PDF and include vector data. When opening the PDF file, they should be able to choose a 300 ppi resolution.

I created a poster that was about the same size and they also wanted it at 300 ppi. I managed to do it with a much less robust computer at the time (1.5 G and 768 MB of RAM).

Peadge 🙂

wrote in message
I’ve run across service bureaus that demand the 300ppi thing regardless of
size. And I think that practice is pretty silly. Any decent large format RIP is going to be able to perform good interpolation functions, provided that the original art is not too low in resolution.
Robert is right, you don’t really need anything more than 100ppi to 125ppi
for that kind of an image. The best thing to do is build up the Photoshop file at that more manageable resolution. Then to a "select all">"copy merged">"file new">"paste" thingie. Flatten that new file and then resample
it to 300ppi. Just make sure all your other files and apps are closed when you do it. A 48" X 96" image at 300ppi will create a file well over 1GB in size.
If the artwork has any vector objects in it (logos, text blocks, etc.) you
may get better results bringing raster elements from Photoshop into an Illustrator document and getting that file printed. The vector objects will print at the large format printer’s maximum resolution. Pretty good method to use for some point of purchase ad display stuff.
CC
Chris_Cox
May 5, 2005
Photoshop can certainly handle it better – but without sufficient RAM it’ll still be kinda slow.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections