J
Posted By
jsfox
May 2, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi, i do digital retouch for the pictures i put on ebay. I have heard a lot about graphics tablet and the wonders they do with applications like Photoshop and Painter that I finally get one.

Since my computer desk is kind of small, there is only space for the keyboard in front of me, at the right I had the mouse pad with the mouse. Now I put the intuos instead of my old mouse, but i am starting to feel strain in my arm, because i dont have a resting place.

Oddly, the first thing i have heard about using pen tablets is that they are easier and more confortable to use.

Since i only have space for either the keyboard or intuos in front of me, I would like to ask the people who use the tablets what is better? The keyboard in front and the wacom at its side or the otherwise.

and what about surfing? I try a little with the stylus, but after the strain I had to use the mouse.

Is it really possible that a pen tablet could completelly replace a mouse?

thank you for your input.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

L
LenHewitt
May 2, 2005
Is it really possible that a pen tablet could completelly replace a
mouse?<<

Has done on my machines since 1994
P
Phosphor
May 2, 2005
Get one of those adjustable TV Tray tables so you can position the tablet where you want it.

Like this:
<http://www.rkdm.com/tablemate/>
J
johntolliday
May 3, 2005
I use keyboard in front and Wacom A6 at side. Although I haven’t replaced the keyboard entirely I could never go back to the mouse for selecting and retouching. I would seriously think about getting another desk! I don’t mean this to be a smart comment but if you do, like me you will never look back.
KC
Kent_C
May 3, 2005
I have the tablet next to the keyboard and at the bottom edge of the tablet a wrist rest which well, rests the wrist and acts as a pivot point as well. My reply to a similar question at retouch forum dpr, which gives a link to a good (imo) wrist rest (no association with the company):

< http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1006&me ssage=13341508>
D
deebs
May 3, 2005
I guess I must be lucky 🙂

I use an ordinary mouse for most stuff and plug in the Wacom when needed.

I can then draw with feet up, relaxed and sprawled with wacom hand held rather than desk mounted. I understand recent research suggests that creativity is optimised when one is sprawled on a sofa. It seems to work for me
J
johnkissane3
May 3, 2005
creativity is optimised when one is sprawled on a sofa

Try a nice big easy chair with a back drop down and separate fluffy ottoman. Creativity zooms when you are not snoozing. 🙂
P
Phosphor
May 3, 2005
One of the big selling points for using a digitizing tablet is that of ergonomic comfort.

Compromising that comfort by having to choose between the lesser of two evils when deciding where to place it on a desk that’s too small runs counter to the decisions made about the ergonomic design of the tablet and why one would want to use one in the first place.

I’m not just making idle conjecture when I recommend that adjustable tray table. I had a HUGE desk before I moved (no room for it now, it’s in the basement, disassembled), but I still used one of those tray tables when I worked with my tablet.
TH
Tina_Hayes
May 3, 2005
I don’t have a large space as my 17 inch monitor takes up most of my desks’ depth, but I keep the tablet to the right of my keyboard.

I’ve had the Wacom (mine is a 4X5), for several months now, and I’ve recently started using the pen exclusivly for everything. There are still a few right click things I find awkward, so I use the mouse for those things, maybe 2 percent of the time I reach over and click the mouse for something, but that’s it.

I find It’s HARD to use the mouse now! I find I CAN’T really use the mouse now.
J
jsfox
May 3, 2005
Thanks a lot to the friendly people to respond my question about ergonomics, wacom and photoshop/painter. Just to let you know my workspace I have a picture here:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v385/javiersf/clutteredwor kspace.jpg

Do you think i can keep this desk and just improve it with your suggestions or should I get another one?

thanks again.

javier
D
deebs
May 3, 2005
I’d invest in a lean back chair – preferably one of those with the kick out leg supports and recliner. The leather ones are good.

I can see why you may be quite stressed out – there is no cappaccino device near the desk. This, IMHO, is the greatest and best investment after the recliner.

The third investment may be a suitable footstool just in case the kick out gets boring.
JJ
John Joslin
May 3, 2005
You cold put the Dell box down below and the speakers can be anywhere but on the desk.
J
johntolliday
May 4, 2005
I agee with John I would at least put the computer housing on the floor to free up more desktop space. The desk I have is semi circular which is perfect for motions on the swivel chair! I would feel very trapped using your desk.
J
johntolliday
May 4, 2005
When I say motions you know what I mean (-:
T
troyhark
May 4, 2005
I’ve used a tablet for years, makes using computer and esp. PS much easier. I still have a mouse but I use that left handed and tablet with right. May be weird at first but with practice, it’s not an issue. It now feels odd using other’s computers with a right handed mouse. I used to be absolutely right handed, but now [with some practice] I’m ambidextrous. Cannot write left handed, but that’s because I cannot be bothered to learn, I so rarely use my right hand to write any more.
I have same keyboard as you and same sized tablet. What I do with tablet is map area that is active down to a more manageable size [less than a quarter]. You only really need the whole tablet area for drawing/tracing type activities. Using tablet as a mouse substitute is much better with a smaller area. I then rest my keyboard on top half of the the tablet [and pull it closer to me for typing work, mouse on left then does any necessary cursor moving]. You need something behind tablet to prop it up and although at times it’s a tad annoying it’s so much better than having it to right or left of keyboard.
It would be handy if palm rest on keyboard had a track pad built in. Alternatively I very rarely use the number keys on right of my keyboard and if they weren’t there it would be an ideal place for a small graphics tablet.
D
deebs
May 4, 2005
Then I’d consider repositioning the desk.

Notice the reflection on the monitor?
That is likely to introduce a bit of glare and maybe some eye-squinting. Besides that shadow cast on the monitor plus glare is gonna IMHO interfere with cognitive processes as perception will have to struggle with pixel displays in shadow (therefore bright) and in glare (therefore greyed or dulled) yet these may be the same colors. Human color perception is compromised in the present setup.

Keyboard: how about leaving it standing on a short edge rather than flat?

Wacom: stand on an edge on the first shelf (it looks too tightly bound in – all that lovely cord is there for a reason unless it is a bluetooth cordless variety?)

Mini-tower: I’d be tempted to leave it flat rather than towered if you know what I mean. Preferably on the floor.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections