New Canvas CTRL+N takes forever in CS3. Any ideas?

L
Posted By
LadiesMan217
May 29, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Whenever I click CTRL+N to open a new canvas, it takes as much as 4 seconds to appear, no matter how big or small it might be. This used to be almost instant in Photoshop 7. It’s extremely frustrating to constantly hit this speedbump, as it’s something I do a lot.

Any ideas or tips on how to speed it up, or is it just one of CS3’s new resource draining "features", I have to get used to?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups πŸ”₯

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

D
Dave
May 29, 2008
On Thu, 29 May 2008 14:49:09 GMT, LadiesMan217
wrote:

Whenever I click CTRL+N to open a new canvas, it takes as much as 4 seconds to appear, no matter how big or small it might be. This used to be almost instant in Photoshop 7. It’s extremely frustrating to constantly hit this speedbump, as it’s something I do a lot.

Any ideas or tips on how to speed it up, or is it just one of CS3’s new resource draining "features", I have to get used to?

Are you transsexual? Or why’ ladiesman’?
Anyway, on my PC the response is immediately.
L
LadiesMan217
May 29, 2008
Dave wrote in
news::

wrote:

Are you transsexual?

Nope.

Or why’ ladiesman’?

You might have a grammar problem… and my best friend’s a giant robot. πŸ™‚

Thanks. I thought for sure it was, when I first installed CS3, so I’m hoping I will be able to get it back to normal speed again.
JB
just bob
May 29, 2008
"LadiesMan217" wrote in message
Dave wrote in

wrote:

Are you transsexual?

Nope.

Or why’ ladiesman’?

You might have a grammar problem… and my best friend’s a giant robot. πŸ™‚

Hehe
JB
just bob
May 29, 2008
Whenever I click CTRL+N to open a new canvas, it takes as much as 4 seconds
to appear, no matter how big or small it might be. This used to be almost instant in Photoshop 7. It’s extremely frustrating to constantly hit this speedbump, as it’s something I do a lot.

Can you try a different default setting for the canvas? Mine is set to "Default Photoshop Size".

When I did it on my machine, after pressing enter at the dialog box (which comes up when I press Ctrl+N), it did take about 3-4 seconds. However, subsequent keyboard commands of Ctrl+N | Enter renders the canvas instantly. So it seems to be slow only the first time on my machine, WinXP with 3GB of RAM with CS3 10.0.1.
L
LadiesMan217
May 29, 2008
"just bob" wrote in
news:483ed4a7$0$17190$:

to appear, no matter how big or small it might be. This used to be almost instant in Photoshop 7. It’s extremely frustrating to constantly hit this speedbump, as it’s something I do a lot.

Can you try a different default setting for the canvas? Mine is set to "Default Photoshop Size".

When I did it on my machine, after pressing enter at the dialog box (which comes up when I press Ctrl+N), it did take about 3-4 seconds. However, subsequent keyboard commands of Ctrl+N | Enter renders the canvas instantly. So it seems to be slow only the first time on my machine, WinXP with 3GB of RAM with CS3 10.0.1.

I’ve tried every possible combination of settings in the dialog box, but unfortunately it makes no difference. I think I’ll try a clean install, as I’m sure it was ok for the first few days. Hopefully that will sort it out.
D
Dave
May 29, 2008
On Thu, 29 May 2008 16:41:12 GMT, LadiesMan217
I’ve tried every possible combination of settings in the dialog box, but unfortunately it makes no difference. I think I’ll try a clean install, as I’m sure it was ok for the first few days. Hopefully that will sort it out.

yep, I might have a grammar problem:-)))

Before reinstalling, reset the preferences.
Only (small but still possible) maybe it’ll sort it out.

Dave
L
LadiesMan217
May 29, 2008
Dave wrote in

On Thu, 29 May 2008 16:41:12 GMT, LadiesMan217

yep, I might have a grammar problem:-)))

Before reinstalling, reset the preferences.
Only (small but still possible) maybe it’ll sort it out.
Dave

Thanks, tried that and waited 43 minutes for it to uninstall. Installed it again, and the problem was still there. F*ck it, I’m ditching this resource hog and going back to Photoshop 7.
K
KatWoman
May 30, 2008
"Dave" wrote in message
wrote:

Or why’ ladiesman’?

maybe he likes Courvoisier?? on Saturday Nights

http://images.allmoviephoto.com/2000_The_Ladies_Man/tim_mead ows_the_ladies_man_002.jpg http://snltranscripts.jt.org/97/97bladiesman.phtml
T
Tacit
May 30, 2008
In article ,
LadiesMan217 wrote:

How much RAM is in your computer?

Modern versions of Photoshop will allocate VM equal to at least the size of any new document when it is created, and more if RAM is tight. If you don’t have sufficient RAM in your computer, creating a new file can be time-consuming.

Photography, kink, polyamory, shareware, and more: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
CC
Chris Cox
May 30, 2008
When you create a new document, that’s the first time Photoshop asks the printer for it’s default setup.

If your printer is really, really slow or disconnected – then you may get a long pause while the printer driver waits for information. Usually this only happens with buggy drivers or poorly configured network printers.

Chris

On 5/29/08 7:24 PM, in article
, "tacit"
wrote:

In article ,
LadiesMan217 wrote:

Modern versions of Photoshop will allocate VM equal to at least the size of any new document when it is created, and more if RAM is tight. If you don’t have sufficient RAM in your computer, creating a new file can be time-consuming.
D
Dave
May 30, 2008
On Thu, 29 May 2008 21:21:42 -0400, "KatWoman" wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message
wrote:

Or why’ ladiesman’?

maybe he likes Courvoisier?? on Saturday Nights

http://images.allmoviephoto.com/2000_The_Ladies_Man/tim_mead ows_the_ladies_man_002.jpg http://snltranscripts.jt.org/97/97bladiesman.phtml

LOL… would thΓ¬s ladiesman be caller #5?
L
LadiesMan217
May 30, 2008
tacit wrote in

In article ,
LadiesMan217 wrote:

4gb. Shouldn’t be an issue.
L
LadiesMan217
May 30, 2008
Chris Cox wrote in
news:C464D0DD.51A0%:

When you create a new document, that’s the first time Photoshop asks the printer for it’s default setup.

If your printer is really, really slow or disconnected – then you may get a long pause while the printer driver waits for information. Usually this only happens with buggy drivers or poorly configured network printers.

Chris

You know, I think my printer driver did to an automatic update recently. Perhaps that’s the root of my problem, then. I’ve uninstalled CS3 for now and gone back to 7.0, though, and New Canvas is still instant here, but when I can find a spare 3 days to reinstall CS3 (it takes forever), I will definitely try it without my printer driver installed.

That said, I do feel like Adobe have gone too far down the bloat-ware road, where they no longer seem interested in optimising their software for performance, and instead just hope that future processors will make their resource draining app at least somewhat tolerable to work with. I’m on a 4gb, 3ghz dual core, and CS3 is still considerable slower than 6.0 ever was on my old 1gb, 1.8ghz AMD, and I don’t feel that CS3’s modest increase in features justifies this kind of slowdown, and I mean in general terms, not just my specific New Canvas issue.

Anyway, thanks for the tip.
D
Dave
May 30, 2008
On Fri, 30 May 2008 14:42:31 GMT, LadiesMan217
wrote:

tacit wrote in

In article ,
LadiesMan217 wrote:

4 gig? Sorry for this disappointment
but PS is not invented to make use of all of it.
You can remove half of it without experiencing any difference.
L
LadiesMan217
May 30, 2008
Dave wrote in news:1650449obd7g6mtl69de71cv90aqscd0ir@
4ax.com:

wrote:

tacit wrote in

In article ,
LadiesMan217 wrote:

I think I’ll keep it. It will probably come in handy for something else. πŸ˜‰
D
Dave
May 30, 2008
On Fri, 30 May 2008 15:14:06 GMT, LadiesMan217
wrote:

Dave wrote in news:1650449obd7g6mtl69de71cv90aqscd0ir@
4ax.com:

wrote:

tacit wrote in

In article ,
LadiesMan217 wrote:

I think I’ll keep it. It will probably come in handy for something else. πŸ˜‰

Totally aggreed:-) I would have kept it myself because, like you said, it may serve a purpose somewhere else..
CC
Chris Cox
Jun 1, 2008
What?

Photoshop can use up to 4 Gig, and the OS can use any leftover RAM for disk caching. (Photoshop can’t directly use more than 3 Gig for image data, because of OS overhead, but the full 4 Gig address space does get used)

Chris

On 5/30/08 7:59 AM, in article ,
"Dave" wrote:

wrote:

tacit wrote in

In article ,
LadiesMan217 wrote:

CC
Chris Cox
Jun 1, 2008
In Photoshop 7, the printer information was queried at launch (which sometimes lead to slow launches).

Photoshop CS3 changed it to query when a new document is created, and some effort was made to catch bad/slow drivers. Sadly, there are more ways to build bad drivers than the Photoshop engineers imagined…

Chris

On 5/30/08 7:42 AM, in article ,
"LadiesMan217" wrote:

Chris Cox wrote in
news:C464D0DD.51A0%:

Chris

You know, I think my printer driver did to an automatic update recently. Perhaps that’s the root of my problem, then. I’ve uninstalled CS3 for now and gone back to 7.0, though, and New Canvas is still instant here, but when I can find a spare 3 days to reinstall CS3 (it takes forever), I will definitely try it without my printer driver installed.

That said, I do feel like Adobe have gone too far down the bloat-ware road, where they no longer seem interested in optimising their software for performance, and instead just hope that future processors will make their resource draining app at least somewhat tolerable to work with. I’m on a 4gb, 3ghz dual core, and CS3 is still considerable slower than 6.0 ever was on my old 1gb, 1.8ghz AMD, and I don’t feel that CS3’s modest increase in features justifies this kind of slowdown, and I mean in general terms, not just my specific New Canvas issue.

Anyway, thanks for the tip.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections