KS
Posted By
kevin_sauerwald
May 1, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I always have this issue and usually I have to extract to get it out.. I made some word art in word since the text options in photoshop are weak. I paste it in as a new image but I want to make the background usually white to become transparent… so when I move it into my master image its the words only..

is there a way to tell that image that white is transparent ? or a way to make it fill transparent ? anything ??

I do start out with the image with a transparent background but I would normally need to erase the white or extract…

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

B
BobLevine
May 1, 2005
First of all, you need to seriously explore what can be done with text in Photoshop. To put the Word Art above Photoshop’s tools tells me that you haven’t explored the possibilites at all.

You can start by checking out the Adobe Studio Exchange for actions. There are literally thousands to choose from.

As for your WordArt. Create a PDF from the Word file. Open it in Photoshop and you should get a transparent background to work with.

Bob
C
Corey
May 1, 2005
You should be doing this stuff inside Photoshop. I doubt that you’d find anyone agreeing with you that Word’s text/graphic editing is in anyway superior to Photoshop’s. I have no idea what it is you’re trying to do, but it would take months to begin to learn Photoshop’s text editing and effect capabilities. Perhaps you should investigate this area first. Otherwise, you’re seriously limiting your creative abilities by using Word.

In Photoshop, all layer styles—drop shadow, bevel & emboss, stroke, outer glow, etc.— are applicable to text, text can be converted to Vector shapes and further edited, images can be pasted into text, masks can be created from and applied to text…the possibilities are just too numerous to list here. In all these instances, the background will remain transparent, unless of course the background is in another layer as it should be. Then it’s visibility can easily be turned off.

Saving your file as a JPG will automatically eliminate the transparent background, creating a white background instead, since JPGs don’t support transparency. Try using GIF, PNG, TIFF, PDF or PSD for this.

Peadge 🙂

wrote in message
I always have this issue and usually I have to extract to get it out.. I
made some word art in word since the text options in photoshop are weak. I paste it in as a new image but I want to make the background usually white to become transparent… so when I move it into my master image its the words only..
is there a way to tell that image that white is transparent ? or a way to
make it fill transparent ? anything ??
I do start out with the image with a transparent background but I would
normally need to erase the white or extract…
DM
dave_milbut
May 1, 2005
I made some word art in word since the text options in photoshop are weak.

what bob said.
KS
kevin_sauerwald
May 1, 2005
ok ok maybe they are better than you say but the only thing I saw I could do was make some text and then warp, change font and size.. I’m not photo shop pro user either so I have no clue what else I can do.. thats all I saw available to me.. how can you change outline and make 3d… there some other settings somewhere ?

and how do you make a pdf from word ? I dont see that as a save as extension…. I’m clueless.. I just do this stuff on the side from time to time… any tips are appreciated…
JS
John_Slate
May 1, 2005
and how do you make a pdf from word ? I dont see that as a save as extension

Unless you have Acrobat/Distiller there is no way as far as I know.

If you DO have Acrobat/Distiller then usually there is a make PDF button in the task bar of Word.
B
BobLevine
May 1, 2005
I told you where to check…The Adobe Studio Exchange.

Bob
DM
dave_milbut
May 1, 2005
the only thing I saw I could do was make some text and then warp, change font and size.

you can also use transform to get some more effects (rotate, skew, scale and free transform)
D
deebs
May 1, 2005
Try tutorials?
– text on a path

– www.russellbrown.com

And welcome to a lifetime of challenges
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
May 2, 2005
For PDF output from Word you can also use an inexpensive or free third-party application, such as CutePDF, etc., most of which define a PDF "printer" that you send output to, which then saves in PDF format, much like Acrobat’s PDFWrite. Apps like these work fine for simple stuff, but might not provide the full functionality (vector graphics, font embedding, etc.) available from Acrobat.
C
Corey
May 2, 2005
Double-click on the text layer in the Layers palette and try applying things like Bevel & Emboss or a Drop Shadow to the text. By checking "Stroke" you can outline text. Here’s a link to an image of Photoshop-created text I made for a similar question. A person was trying to get more of a 3-D look.

http://home.comcast.net/~oneravenlunatic/adding_dimension.jp g

To save a Word document as a PDF file you do indeed need Acrobat Distiller. Then you choose Print and from the printer drop-down menu, you select Acrobat Distiller. e-mail me directly if you want more tips!

Peadge 🙂

wrote in message
ok ok maybe they are better than you say but the only thing I saw I could
do was make some text and then warp, change font and size.. I’m not photo shop pro user either so I have no clue what else I can do.. thats all I saw available to me.. how can you change outline and make 3d… there some other settings somewhere ?
and how do you make a pdf from word ? I dont see that as a save as
extension…. I’m clueless.. I just do this stuff on the side from time to time… any tips are appreciated…

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections