DR
Posted By
Danny Raphael
Apr 30, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
The following quote was lifted from another venue. It was allegedly posted by Martin Evening in the PixelGenius forum in response to, "Will I need to make changes to my actions under CS2?"

"Some [actions] will [need to be changed;] some won’t. I had to rewrite all the contact sheet actions because the layer selection process and linking is different in Photoshop CS2. The Merge Visible command will now merge to a new layer above the current selected layer (instead of into the selected layer) and the type layer steps in actions recorded for Photoshop 7 & CS are not recognised in CS2. There are a few other issues you may encounter. But otherwise, you’ll find most will work just fine still."

I expect the vast majority of actions will run without changes. Assuming the quote is accurate, it’s apparent some will need to be modified.

It would be helpful to have a complete summary of functional changes like the ones cited by Mr. Evening. This information would enable one to start identifying candidate actions and making necessary changes.

Does such a list accompany the CS2 documentation (my upgrade is en route)?

If not, where could one find this information?

Thanks…

~Danny~

keywords: cs2 functional changes change summary

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

CC
Chris_Cox
Apr 30, 2005
No list exists that I know of.

We tried to keep old actions working as much as possible.
DR
Danny Raphael
Apr 30, 2005
Thanks for the fast reply, Chris. You’re on top of things as usual.

re:

We tried to keep old actions working as much as possible.

Understood. That would be an obvious design goal.

Besides the Merge Visible change (I read about that one at Rob Galbraith.com), can you comment on and/or verify these are different in CS2:
* Layer linking
* Layer selection
* Text commands

From a personal experience perspective, do you know of other changes of this nature? Anything you (or Scott or anyone) can think of would be helpful.
CC
Chris_Cox
Apr 30, 2005
Most of the old actions work.
Layer Linking is different (depricated) now, so a few things had to go away. Layer Selection works differently in CS2, but the old actions should work. And I don’t know of any text changes that would affect actions.
JS
Jeff_Schewe
Apr 30, 2005
Danny, depending on the way in which old "Sets" were made via linking and the changes to the behavior of "Groups" vs "Sets", actions that produce layer sets via linking in Photoshop CS may need to be rewitten in some cases for CS2. For PhotoKit, all of our "old CS" style linking behaves well under CS2’s Groups. For Martin’s PhotoKit Color, the nammer in which he created the Sets was a bit different and thus produces different results under CS2 than CS.

As for the type actions, that was again the way in which he resolved the Sets, it have nothing to do with the text layers per se.

I will say there was a period there where old actions were pretty much completely broken. But several of the Photoshop engineers and Q&E people worked VERY hard to enable as MUCH legacy action support while changing the layer Group behaviors. They weren’t 100% successful, but it’s gotta be in the high 90’s.

Simple actions without complicated layer set construction should not be effected at all.

As for the other things that WON’T work, about all I can say is try it in CS2. The changes aren’t hard, however it should be noted that to fix it if it’s broken in CS2 will basically break it for any previous versions. The vast majority of people will never know though. . .

Send me an email. . .after you get CS2 and I can probably help guide you to how to make the changes to any of your actions that are broken. Or send me an example exotic set action and I’ll run it under CS2 and let you know if it runs ok.
DR
Danny Raphael
Apr 30, 2005
Chris and Jeff:

Many, many thanks for the further information, clarification and especially the assurances.

It was the Type command that concerned me the most. I’m real glad that it’s completely compatible.

Based on your details, Jeff, I’d say I’m 99.5% OK as I don’t do serious gymnastics with Layer Sets and the like. Although it’s unlikely (now) that I’ll need to take you up on assisting with cranky actions, your offer is greatly appreciated.

~Danny~

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections